Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMR Flicker and info from Trijicon

RMR Flicker and info from Trijicon

Well I hoped I would not have an issue with my RMR but as my luck goes, I did. Even though I used the Battle Works sealing plate it started flickering anyway. I took it off and shimmed the battery like others have done and sure enough it stopped it.

I called Trijicon anyway. For 1) I wanted to see if there was anything else I should do and 2) I wanted to get it off my chest that I, and a lot of others had to make a very expensive optic work by modifying it when we were using it for the purpose it was fit for.

The techs at Trijicon were very helpful. They told me I could certainly send it back for T&E to determine if something was wrong with the unit and could do so at any point in the life of the unit.

Then he passed on some info that I had never heard before and was not in the manual.

1 He said for some reason they had much better success with the Sony brand CR2032 batteries than others.

2 That the unit should be tightened onto the slide with between 9-11 inch pounds.

3 At 17 inch pounds the unit will begin to warp.

If any of this is in the manual I sure as heck didn't see it. IMO this is info that should be known right off the bat.

I ordered a Inch Pound screwdriver and I can tell you that without a doubt mine is well beyond 10 inch pounds and is probably beyond 17 IP. I would bet others out there are over 17 IP too. The tech also advise that the original screws came with dry thread locker on them and that if I wasn't using the OEM screws to add a tiny drop of medium thread locker to the screws.

I'm just passing on what the tech told me. If you don't agree or think this is so much BS then drive on.
    Hope this helps someone.
    SCD

The info you were given is correct, but you are not using the optic for the purpose it was designed, so...
    Last edited by SLG; 03-01-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Sony batteries?

Hmm anyone can confirm this through experience.

I seem to buy whatever types I can find but if it's Sony that works best might be worth looking into.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The info you were given is correct, but you are not using the optic for the purpose it was designed, so...
    Really? This is from Trijicon site:

Developed to improve precision and accuracy with any style or caliber of weapon, the Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) is designed to be as durable as the legendary ACOG. The RM06 is an LED sight powered by a standard CR2032 battery. Housed in rugged forged aluminum, the RMR is extremely tough yet lightweight. New easy-to-use adjusters with audible clicks allow for quick windage and elevation adjustments.

As I mentioned in the last line of my post, If you don't agree then drive on. I posted this to help folks not for you to snipe.
    SCD

I was told the same thing by a Trijicon rep when I emailed them. I had the same problem, and ordered the Battle Werx plate as well. Mine still flickered with the BW plate and with a piece of electrical tape added. I did the Gabe Suarez trick with Shoo Goo and so far no more flickering with about 500 rounds through the gun. I put a new Everready battery in mine before I emailed Trijicon.

My question for Trijicon is why don't they send a Sony battery with the optic?

FWIW, a prominent trainer that advocates red dots on handguns and is involved with Trijicon has stated that the three points given are not totally accurate, but a good starting point (he couldn't give more detail due to NDAs).

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Really? This is from Trijicon site:

Developed to improve precision and accuracy with any style or caliber of weapon[FONT=Verdana], the Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) is designed to be as durable as the legendary ACOG. The RM06 is an LED sight powered by a standard CR2032 battery. Housed in rugged forged aluminum, the RMR is extremely tough yet lightweight. New easy-to-use adjusters with audible clicks allow for quick windage and elevation adjustments.
    I believe the point that SLG was trying to make is that the RMR was never designed as a slide-mounted RDS; after all, that wasn't really a thing until after the RMR came out, and let's face it, there were lots of issues with durability in the early revs. While the internals have been repeatedly hardened over the different revs, it's still an optic that was shoehorned into being slide-mounted role. The style and caliber claim most likely was meant only in the context of a static mounted position.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-01-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Battery manufacturers tolerance control sux big balls. The root of the issue for most flickering issues. Yes there were others as well, but IMO the most common is the battery moving relative to the optic and losing contact.

I've had good luck with Energizer batteries so far and haven't had to resort to any work around. YMMV.

I had a similar experience... Installed BW plate, used appropriate screws with tiny dab of thread locker (I used a Zev slide for this experiment), and still managed to have flickering and the unit turning off, but also couldn't get it to zero--the adjustment would not allow for me to adjust the dot to the actually zero at all. Sent mine back to Trijicon (they paid for shipping both ways, so that's great), and now it's on it's way back to me (it's been about 3 weeks since I shipped it I think). Trijicon customer service was good--they answered emails relatively quickly, paid for shipping the unit both to them and back to me, so that part is a positive overall (the wait kinda sucked, IMO, but it is what it is). For me, I did not love the RMR, so I no longer plan to continue experimenting. Between not loving it, and having issues with it out of the box even though it was brand new, it simply isn't worth the investment for me at this time (all this is my own opinion based on my own experience with an N of 1, so take that for what it's worth).
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Site Supporter
    I have one with Trijicon right now. About 200 rounds in I had the flicker and shutting off problems so I swapped batteries to a new battery. More of the same continued after 200 rounds or so. I added tape to the battery, more of the same. Hopefully if will come back at work perfectly.

OP,

I'm sorry you get indignant so easily. You may believe whatever you like, but the rmr was not designed to be used that way.

For everyone else,

Trijicon is well aware that the rmr was not designed for that role, and that it is suboptimal for it. However, they are not content to simply tell people "tough luck". Their warranty service is great, and they are actively working on improving the rmr.

User Tag List