Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 vs 19 -- MOS

My wife shot the T1/Atom slide yesterday, extensively left and right hand only. She can smoke out a weak functioning Glock, on demand, shooting it one hand. Zero problems, and it threw the brass out like an HK.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have spent a month or so shooting a pair of 34 MOS pistols, both with DP Pro optics. Wanted to give them a fair shake. Yesterday, I ended a 34 session, shooting two of the same drills with my 19 MOS, also with DP Pro. The drills consisted of two eight inch steel, one ten inch steel, and two USPSA cardboard targets, at 13-22 yards. One drill was draw and shoot one each target, reload, repeat. The other drill was one to each steel and two to each paper. Same ammo in both guns, 124 AE ball, and same holster/belt/pouches.

The 19 felt like I was cheating, and was +/- 15% faster with similar or better accuracy. Dot just felt like it wasn't moving as much with the 19.

I started with 25 yard groups with the 34 and ended with the same with the 19. Groups with the 19 were half the size of the 34, consistent with my past experience.
    GJM, do you still believe that the 19 is the better option of the 19,17 & 34?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I'll let him answer for himself although I think the answer will be affirmative. That said, GJM and I just recently saw a Limited GM smoke the stages at an accuracy-demanding match with a 34 MOS. I think the general answer is "YMMV".

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    GJM, do you still believe that the 19 is the better option of the 19,17 & 34?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure.

I sat next to the guy YVK references above, at dinner Saturday night. Believe he is a Limited GM, and not sure what his CO percentage is. I told him my impression was that the G19 keeps the dot flatter than the 17 or 34, all of which I have. He agreed. The interesting part is what he said when I asked him why the 34 for this match? He started by saying sight radius, then realized what he was saying and said the reason was because the 34 had a better barrel twist to stabilize the bullet for better accuracy at distance. I didn't follow-up on that, but assumed he went with a 34 because for many people the 34=best Glock for competition. MY wife, for example, just yesterday asked if I could put together my 34 MOS for her to mess with. One other thing from that guy -- he said he has had good battery life with his DP Pro on his 34. Makes me wonder whether I got a bad one or two early on, or whether Leupold made some changes along the way. I plan to run on on constant on and see how long the battery lasts.

Here is why I say I am not sure on 17/19/34. I definitely believe the 19 tracks better with the dot on drills like the Garcia dots. However, there are some advantages to the 17. The full grip is easier for me to get the magazine out and reloaded with, the full grip makes a better draw, and something I have only recently come to appreciate, is the 19 seems easier to deflect off target on longer shots. Inside 15 yards, Bill drills, for example, are fine with the 19, but at 20/25 yards and further, it seems easier to deflect shots with the 19. In a perfect world, Glock would also offer a 17 frame with a 19 slide, as their red dot gun, and provide the advantage of the 17 grip with the 19 flat cycling, slide.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In a perfect world, Glock would also offer a 17 frame with a 19 slide, as their red dot gun, and provide the advantage of the 17 grip with the 19 flat cycling, slide.
    I think this would be the end all be all for RDS pistols for me if Glock where to ever make it. Had great hope when I saw a few posters on lightfighter attempt to diy it, but from what I remember it's not possible due to the location of the locking block in the 17 not allowing the 19 slide to cycle to the rear enough to even engage the slidestop, if someone can figure a way past that it seems otherwise doable.

I found a Gen 4 lower in the safe, stippled by Taran, with a very smooth trigger, with plenty of roll. Slapped it on my MOS 17 upper and hit the range with it. I warmed up with the PCC, which gets me in the mood to press the trigger fast.

Shot this six shot Bill drill at 25 yards in 3.62. Definitely a kodak moment, as I never remember that sort of a Bill before.

Then, this was my first attempt at a Garcia dot (7 yards, six shots from the holster) with the same pistol. I started admiring my work on shot 5 and ruined a perfect dot. In any event, six shots in 3.12 with the MOS 17.

Kind of gets me excited to shoot a CO match or two.

Interesting to see that the G19 MOS has apparently entered military use with SOCOM.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-16-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Interesting to see that the G19 MOS has apparently entered military use with SOCOM.
    Any idea what brand optic (and what brand loctite)?

No idea on optic, or if any are being used at all. I had posted this earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Has SOCOM now classified the GEN4 G19 MOS with threaded barrel as the Mk27?

http://nsn-now.com/1005016581930

STANDARD GENERATION IV G19 MK27 9MM PISTOL WITH MODULAR OPTICS SYSTEM INSTALLED ON THE WEAPON. STANDARD 5.5 POUND TRIGGER PULL, BARREL THREAD PATTERN M13.5X1LH, HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE CAPABLE. INCLUDES: QTY OF 6, 15 ROUND MAGAZINES, MAGAZINE LOADER, CLEANING ROD, NYLON BORE BRUSH, AND PISTOL CASE*); H9D/SOCOM LOGISTICS HELP DESK: CML (859) 293-3114; DSN: 745-3114; TOLL FREE: 888-745-3114;
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I'm curious what optic as well, guessing the DP Pro.

User Tag List