Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 vs 19 -- MOS

Glock 17 vs 19 -- MOS

For many years, I have thought of the Glock 19 as being easier to carry, and the 17 as easier to shoot.

A few months back, I got a Gen 4 19 MOS and a DP Pro optic, to revisit the RDS concept. I really like the large DP Pro display, but that same large display makes BUIS a problem. Between that and the funky intensity controls on the Pro, I basically rejected it as a carry possibility. In the last week, I started messing around with my 19 MOS, and as mentioned in another thread, felt like it had a positive impact on iron sight tracking with my CZ Shadow Production pistol.

I have had so much fun shooting the 19 MOS, I decided I would shoot a few USPSA matches in Carry Optics, using a Glock and the DP Pro. Based on past experience with the 19 and 17, I ordered a 17 MOS and another DP Pro to use for competition, figuring it would be better. That pistol arrived yesterday afternoon, and I got to the range this morning to sight in the optic and evaluate how much better it shot than the 19 MOS.

It took about 8 cartridges to get the DP Pro on the 17 zeroed at 25 yards. Then I started shooting drills, starting with the Garcia Dot drill. Following that, I shot a half dozen different tasks, from mixed steel and cardboard USPSA style arrays, to steel at 10 yards, and steel at 25 yards. Here was the stunner -- I shot EVERY task better with the 19 MOS than the 17 MOS. And not a just a tad better, but significantly better.

My guess is the 19 slide is lighter, and tracks flatter. When you take away the sight radius advantage of the 17 with the DP Pro, the flatter tracking really stands out. It is also possible that the difference in the 19 grip is involved, but I have not noticed that in 17 vs 19 shooting in the past.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

How is your rds shooting with the red dot comared to irons?

Very interesting! YUUUUGE in fact. Imagine next the KKM with comp as DocGKR has set one or more up?

Have you shot out at 100 yards with that yet?
    Last edited by JHC; 03-23-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

How tall would you need to go to get irons visible? Suppressor sights don't cut it?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Once the red dot is introduce the slide length for sight radius become less important. I carry a 34 at work because we can only carry with iron sights and the 34 has the advantage of the longer sight radius, reduced felt recoil, etc. Off duty I carried what is called the Roland Glock (creators pseudonym). The Roland basically is any generation glock 19 with a red dot milled, kkm barrel, and a kkm compensator. This package comes out to be about the same length of a 34 and will fit in holster for a 34 as long as they can compensate for the red dot. Its great for carry as you have the 19 grip, but you have a soft shooting easy to track gun with a red dot.

I have a 17 and a 19 with irons I barely shoot now, I much prefer to shoot my Roland special or my 34. I have a holster from Tony (JM Custom Kydex) that works for both my 34 and Roland, it's the same or similar to the one Doc runs.

Crappy holster photo, I don't have any better ones on my computer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    How is your rds shooting with the red dot comared to irons?
    I can shoot the MOS 19 better than a regular 19, regular 17 or the MOS 17 at distance, and I am no slower than iron sights up close. Tougher comparison with my CZ Shadow, as I have gamed and trained with them for the last five months.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Very interesting! YUUUUGE in fact. Imagine next the KKM with comp as DocGKR has set one or more up?

Have you shot out at 100 yards with that yet?
    Nope, haven't shot beyond 35 yards yet. I am not interested in a comp as that is not allowed in carry optics, and I don't see it for my carry use.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    How tall would you need to go to get irons visible? Suppressor sights don't cut it?
    Pretty darn tall. Suarez, I believe, makes a set that will work, but they look YUUUUGE.

When Aimpoint releases an optic, if it is their typical quality, I will likely go all in with a RDS on my timmie guns.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We visited this previously: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....KM-compensator

After seeing benefits of RDS use on duty pistols, a number of officers around here had sub-compact back-up (BUG) and compact off-duty pistols equipped with RDS’s (primarily S&W Shield, G26, S&W M&P9c, and G19). Interestingly, many felt the compact pistols with shorter slides were actually easier to shoot accurately and rapidly with the RDS compared to the larger duty pistols. With an RDS equipped pistol, there is no “sight radius”, so there is no accuracy benefit to having a pistol with a longer slide. In addition, many end-users report that when shooting rapidly, it is easier to track the RDS dot shot-to-shot when mounted on a shorter slide. As a result, many shooters who previously used long slide, iron sighted pistols like the G34/G35 to benefit from the enhanced sight radius on demanding shots requiring precision accuracy have now found they can use a smaller pistol like a G19 with an RDS and shoot just as accurately with the smaller pistol as they previously would with longer iron sighted handguns. Going one step further, folks found that with a compensator installed, they can have a compact handgun that is softer shooting, lighter weight, and offers better accuracy than their previous iron sighted long slide pistols. As a result, late last year, we began testing the use of RDS equipped G19's with KKM compensators attached. Note that this is described in our 5 yr updated RDS test report.

The KKM compensated G19's have a bit more blast than a stock G19, but not anything to complain about. In slow fire at 25 yds, they shoot just as accurately as any other G19 with a match barrel--I shot two KKM compensated G19's yesterday slow fire at 25 yds and got a 100-5x & 99-3x. Where the KKM compensated G19's shine is in rapid fire, they are slightly faster, but more importantly result in much tighter shot groups, especially at longer distances. I am a huge fan of the DOW; a couple of recent DOW allowed quantifiable data to be gleaned from shooting the same drill with a G19 with both a KKM compensated barrel and a non-compensated KKM barrel: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....06-Three-Bills and https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ek-108-GM-Test. The compensated G19 was consistently faster to shoot--particularly at longer ranges, generally offered better accuracy, and had noticeably tighter groups. When shot 10 rounds slow fire at 25 yds on an NRA B8 target, the KKM comp barrel shot 99-3x, the KKM standard barrel shot 100-3x.

The G19 with KKM compensator is the same size as the previously used G34's and fit into standard G34 holsters, including the excellent Safariland ALS 6354DO.

Last edited by DocGKR; 03-23-2016 at 06:12 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Pay very close attention to post #48 in the linked previous thread....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Pay very close attention to post #48 in the linked previous thread....
    doc are you running rmr07 or rmr 06?

I set up a MOS 19 with the DP PRO as well and I've found (in my limited time shooting it) that the red dot is easy to track because of that Yuuuge view window. I only have a MOS 34 w/ an RMR to compare it to though. That may be a product of how naturally glocks seem to point for me too though, maybe due to just tons of presentations with a Sirt pistol.
    I installed the Dawson MOS sights and they don't have nearly enough height unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List