Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's "Almost Guaranteed to Work fixes for Gen4 Glock 9mm issues"

LittleLebowski,

Do you also think it is beneficial to follow Apex's recommendation to install the Spring Load Bearing for Glock Model 17, 19, 26 and 34 - Glock Item # SP01176 ?

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    LittleLebowski,

Do you also think it is beneficial to follow Apex's recommendation to install the Spring Load Bearing for Glock Model 17, 19, 26 and 34 - Glock Item # SP01176 ?
    Definitely.

#1 on the list seems to have improved my Oct 2011 manufactured Gen 3 Glock 19 that was throwing BTF at about once every 1-2 magazines with the occasional stovepipe malfunction. Took it to Glock HQ last year since I live close, and they were nice enough to replace all the internals (besides the barrel), but that didn't fix anything. A few months after that, I saw some discussion of the 30274 ejector being a possible fix, so I bought a gen 4 trigger housing w/ 30274 ejector, swapped that ejector into my gen 3. Have only been able to test it in the past few weeks, but 400 rounds in, no more BTF. Not nearly enough rounds for me to trust that it's "fixed" enough for me to confidently carry, but this is progress.

Will proceed to #2 if the simple ejector swap doesn't turn out to be the complete fix for this pistol.

Had an interesting malfunction today with my Gen. 2 G19--a class 2 horizontal stovepipe that turned into a class 3. The gun is a 1996 BZKXXXUS gun that I came across unfired--I'm guessing that it sat in a guy's garage for the last couple of decades--it still had the factory gold grease, appropriately gunked up having sat around for almost 20 years.

I replaced all the springs in the gun, installed an Apex Tactical Ultimate Safety Plunger, gave it a thorough cleaning, and lubed it with Slip 2000 EWL as I do all my guns. Possibly noteworthy is that the the extractor held on to an AZoom snap cap with no issue--several of my Glocks, my HK USPc, and my long extractor SIG 226 will not hold the AZooms, but allow the case to slip out from under the extractor claw.

Tonight I fired the Gen. 2 G19 for the first time, using

Today I took it to the range for the first time. I was shooting MagTech 115 gr. FMJ, which I've had good success with in other weapons. Ejection was fairly consistent at around 4:30, with a few oddballs that ejected around 1:00 or so. No BTF. I was just thinking about how awesome the Gen. 2 frame was to shoot, and how it was nice to have a Glock with no BTF or other issues when I loaded my last magazine (a lightly-used 15-round factory magazine that had been reliable in other guns, and was loaded with 14 rounds), fired the first round (round 86), and got this malfunction:

Name:  G19 malfunction 1.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  G19 malfunction 2.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  51.7 KB

Since I was vetting a new pistol, I didn't immediately clear the malfunction, but stopped to take a look at it and snap a few pics. It looked like a typical horizontal stovepipe. After taking pictures I tired to clear it as I usually would with a vigorous "tap, roll, rack," but that didn't solve the problem. Instead I ended up with this:

Name:  G19 malfunction 3.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  78.7 KB

The gun tried to feed the next live round (round #2 in the magazine), but failed to eject the empty case from round #1. Recognizing the "double feed," I locked the slide back, but the empty case remained in place, held against the breach face by the extractor claw. I shook the gun lightly and was able to get the live round out of the chamber, but I had to manipulate the empty case out from under the extractor claw. I reloaded the live round, and fired the remainder of the magazine without issue.

It seemed to me that, unlike some of the Gen. 4 issues that come up, this was the result of an extractor that was holding the spent case too tightly, not one that was holding it too loosely. When I installed the Apex plunger, I noticed that the extractor did not drop free when the plunger was depressed, so tonight I dressed it slightly using toothpaste as a polishing compound. It still does not drop completely free, but it does move easier than it did before. I may or may not get to shoot it again this weekend. If I do I'll try to run something weak like CCI/Blazer or Fiocchi.

What would the next step be? Should I install a HRED/30274? Shoot it with the lightly dressed extractor first? Write this off as "break-in?" Apologize to my HK for straying, and promise that it meant nothing? Right now my gut says that dressing the extractor and a 30274 would be my best bets, but I'm open to suggestions.

The words "1996" and "glock 19" rattled something loose.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

I vaguely remember this being a thing, but by the late 90s I don't think it was common knowledge. I want to say I heard about it on rec.guns from Darrel Mulroy in the course of an internet argument.

You see, there was no "pistol-forum.com" back then. What we had was the newsgroups (or "the groups" we would sometimes call them, because the Kaiser stole the word "news") and a bit later on glocktalk.com, which I think was `98. The important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time...

Anyway, the NYPD had some fairly major issues with their gen 2 Glock 19s. What your pics show is an almost perfect replication of that. I don't remember what the resolution was.
    Last edited by jh9; 04-02-2016 at 05:18 AM.

The good ole days weren't always so good.

I definitely remember the issue as reported by NYPD with the G19 in the 90's. Just don't recall whether the issue was range ammo, an extractor that got changed in design, or something else.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Had a bunch of BTF today with my G4G19 (Serial #BBBX---). Mostly with Magtech 115gr but occasionally with the wolf. Honestly it doesn't bother me as long as i am not getting stovepipes but I ordered an HRED as a precaution. Gun already has newest ejector/RSA, so hopefully the HRED cleans it up. Extractor seems to slip in and out of the channel just fine but I gave it a few gentle passes with a light file, just to break down any edges. We'll see how it does when I shoot some JHPs through in on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The words "1996" and "glock 19" rattled something loose.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

I vaguely remember this being a thing, but by the late 90s I don't think it was common knowledge. I want to say I heard about it on rec.guns from Darrel Mulroy in the course of an internet argument.

You see, there was no "pistol-forum.com" back then. What we had was the newsgroups (or "the groups" we would sometimes call them, because the Kaiser stole the word "news") and a bit later on glocktalk.com, which I think was `98. The important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time...

Anyway, the NYPD had some fairly major issues with their gen 2 Glock 19s. What your pics show is an almost perfect replication of that. I don't remember what the resolution was.
    Thanks for that--I completely spaced on the Phase 3 issue when I posted. I did give the extractor a very light polish, and now it moves more freely (but does not drop out completely without manipulation), and I'm going to try the 30274. If that doesn't work I'll look to swapping the extractor next. I'm not sure the HRED would help right now because the issue with my gun seems to be too MUCH extractor tension, not too little. I'll keep the forum updated as I go.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Related question - does anyone know if the White Sound HRED might pre-dispose to malfunctions? Anyone had problems with it inducing FTEs by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM
    I definitely remember the issue as reported by NYPD with the G19 in the 90's. Just don't recall whether the issue was range ammo, an extractor that got changed in design, or something else.
    No idea. The artcle (written by a retired NYPD lieutenant; don't recognize the name) says going from their Winchester loaded mild practice ammo to +P helped but the issue didn't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    Thanks for that--I completely spaced on the Phase 3 issue when I posted. I did give the extractor a very light polish, and now it moves more freely (but does not drop out completely without manipulation), and I'm going to try the 30274. If that doesn't work I'll look to swapping the extractor next. I'm not sure the HRED would help right now because the issue with my gun seems to be too MUCH extractor tension, not too little. I'll keep the forum updated as I go.
    Midway has a new Glock EDP spring for $3.50... I wonder how it compares in strength to the `96 vintage part. Maybe they reduced the spring tension on the EDP as one of the numerous rolling 'product improvements' to get the guns to work better with lighter loaded ammo?

I don't know enough about Glock product history to say.

User Tag List