Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's "Almost Guaranteed to Work fixes for Gen4 Glock 9mm issues"

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    You never know. I have an original Gen4 17, the ones without the recess cutout for the recoil spring (in the slide). It runs great.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/w...lSprings-1.jpg
    I have one of those too. It was one of the First ones to hit town back in 2011. 6800 rounds so far without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best. title. ever.

You never know. I have an original Gen4 17, the ones without the recess cutout for the recoil spring (in the slide). It runs great.

Mine has the recess. Fairly recent Austrian gun. SN BAZXXXX
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Tangential question - has anyone fixed BTF or erratic ejection in an earlier generation gun? If so, could you please detail the process if it differs from the OP? Thanks!
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I had one, it ran very poorly. My newer ones have been better.

Site Supporter

Mine is late 2011 production - I got it in January 2012. It has the cut out out in the slide nose for the recoil spring.

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Tangential question - has anyone fixed BTF or erratic ejection in an earlier generation gun? If so, could you please detail the process if it differs from the OP? Thanks!
    LL's advice is solid, but one other thing to add:

JHC noticed more consistent ejection in guns with KKM drop-in barrels (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-flaws/page35). I took this information and immediately used it as a justification to buy a shiny silver KKM barrel of my own, and lo and behold, more consistent ejection.

Both of us were shooting Gen. 4s, but I'm assuming that you would see similar results in a previous generation. A side benefit would probably be increased mechanical accuracy, as my understanding is that the older guns tend to be less mechanically accurate than the Gen. 4s, and as a result tend to show a more noticeable improvement with an aftermarket barrel. Not sure if that is worth $165 to you, but it might help.

Depending on how old of a gun you have, I believe the Apex extractors will work in any gun with a 15 degree cut (as opposed to the really old 90 degree cuts, although I believe the factory can cut a 90 degree slide to 15 degrees if you send your slide in. I've never heard of someone trying to put an Apex extractor in a Gen. 2 gun (usually everyone is talking about making their Gen. 4s run like Gen. 2s...), but I would call Apex to see if there would be any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    After a long and shitty "break-in," the early Gen4 G17 I had started running well after dropping in an H.R.E.D and polishing the extractor. It was sold shortly thereafter with full disclosure.

Site Supporter
    LL - Your solution is too complicated. Apparently, if you'd just leave the gun stock, and stop reading PF, your Glock will start working....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not guaranteed to work.

Caveat emptor

Unload your weapon three times and then go to another room that doesn't have ammo in it before starting. I'm not liable for stuff you break nor if your Glock isn't 1000% reliable afterwards and therefore you die on the streets.

1. Install a 30274 ejector $7, even if your 9mm Glock isn't a Gen4.
    2. Install a White Sound H.R.E.D $15
    3. Polish the top and bottom horizontal surfaces of the extractor with something light like say toothpaste and this Dremel wheel. You want the extractor to slide in out and smoothly, like using cornstarch in a Zentai suit. Just a light polish.
    4. Get the latest RSA (recoil spring assembly) by calling Glock's customer service or ordering online
    5. Test fire. The best way to see if you've fixed the problem is to use weaker range ammo, not high powered NATO or carry ammo
    6. If you still have the problem, grab an APEX extractor and install per the instructions. I recommend just ordering and installing this, the HRED, and the ejector (if you don't have it) along with checking with Glock to make sure you have the latest and greatest RSA (recoil spring adapter) in order to save yourself time.

These steps have worked for me and others I know. My Gen4 G17 gobbled up Wolf, Tula, Blazer, carry ammo, and WWB with aplomb and good ejection last weekend in the rain and sleet at the GreenOps Defensive Pistol I class.

What do you guys think of using emery cloth to polish the innards? I am extremely new - and very cautious as a result, to use my Dremel, for fear of removing too much. I did my first Glock (30S) with emery cloth - gave it to a very experienced shooter, who then after dry firing it, asked me who did the trigger job.

User Tag List