Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: LL's "Almost Guaranteed to Work fixes for Gen4 Glock 9mm issues"

I've gotten to the point where the HRED just automatically goes into my Glocks. I just recently picked up a pair of Apex extractors, and am now running those as well. Both my gen 4 19 and 34 eject well, even for a fairly weak load (125gr Blue Bullet over 3.7gr Titegroup), although I'm considering making my reloads a little more powerful to more closely mimic the 124gr HST I carry.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

LL,

Thanks for the information. Good sticky thread.

When I bought two Gen4 Model 19s in 2012 my years long run with Glocks had been without issue. I got a rude awakening from the first magazine full I shot through each of those two gun. Severe brass to the face. Severe meaning at least 6-8 hot empties bouncing off my forehead and shooting glasses for each magazine I shot through them. Ammo choice didn't matter except the hotter NATO and self defense loads just hit my face a little harder.

Up to that time I never read the Glock specific forums but went there looking for information about the BTF problem. My Glocks had all the latest parts. Several posters who were experiencing the same problems as me sent their G19s back to Glock only to have them returned with a note saying all the parts were up to date. And the BTF behavior was still the same.

Tried a lot of stuff with my two guns and finally put in the APEX extractor kit. Instant fix for both guns.

At the time I installed the APEX kit I had over 1600 rounds combined through the two 19s. The only reason I kept them was that I had a fair sized investment in many magazines, holsters and expensive sight pusher from previous generation Model 19s.

Those two guns caused me more frustration and time than any gun of any kind that I have ever owned. I don't read much about BTF in Glocks anymore so I guess the factory finally figured out what was wrong.

Again, thanks for the information.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Bought a Gen 3 26 last month and I am only having issues (double feed once every 200 rounds) with Federal aluminum 115 grain. Cases ejected all over the place....some to the 10 o'clock.......

Brass and nickel 115 runs like a champ.

Anyway....

Bought the new style ejector and that helped significantly except for that last round. That one would consistently go to the six o clock but well over my noggin.

Polished the OEM extractor and tuned that little shelf just a mm or so and that seemed to help a whole lot. I ran about 100 rounds of 124 grain American Eagle yesterday and I got a nice pile of brass to the four o'clock .......except for that last round. Six o'clock on that one and well over my noggin.

Federal 147 HSTs are great in it now and that is my carry load.

I do have a HRED and a plunger spring from that same bunch (White Sound defense) and I suspect that the plunger spring alone (with the ejector upgrade as well as the extractor polish/tune) is going to put me in the money. Seems like the extractor just needs a little extra push to tug that last case out of the way without the benefit of a round in the magazine.

If not, I'll try the HRED and go from there. Trying to stick as close to OEM as possible.

But this thread sticky has been a great resource.
    Last edited by lwt16; 11-14-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Anybody have any suggestions for a gen 3, g21 that likes to fling brass at your forehead? This pistol was a LEOtrade in that showed zero use, I mean it looks new inside and out. It came with Glock night sights that are still good (gun was made in 2010 according to the case in the bag,) also came with 3 mags. However it does fling brass back to my head, to the left, right, forward, and straight up, Since there is'nt a Apex extractor for the 21, I'm open to suggestions, I'd really like to hang on to the 21 as it seems quite accurate, and if I can get it to eject cases properly I'd be thrilled, if I can't I'll clean it up, toss it in the back of the safe, and use it either as trading fodder, or dump it off at a gun show, considering what I paid for it ($325 OTD) I figure I could easily sell it, and make money on it..

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Anybody have any suggestions for a gen 3, g21 that likes to fling brass at your forehead? This pistol was a LEOtrade in that showed zero use, I mean it looks new inside and out. It came with Glock night sights that are still good (gun was made in 2010 according to the case in the bag,) also came with 3 mags. However it does fling brass back to my head, to the left, right, forward, and straight up, Since there is'nt a Apex extractor for the 21, I'm open to suggestions, I'd really like to hang on to the 21 as it seems quite accurate, and if I can get it to eject cases properly I'd be thrilled, if I can't I'll clean it up, toss it in the back of the safe, and use it either as trading fodder, or dump it off at a gun show, considering what I paid for it ($325 OTD) I figure I could easily sell it, and make money on it..
    Increase the tension of the Extractor by using an Apex spring. They don't advertise it by itself but you could ask.

I have a 10mm that occasionally will send one straight into my face when shooting it at speed.

Well, the last thing one would need is a casing into the eye as a boar or bear was heading my way with bad intentions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Start by replacing the recoil spring, before you do anything else.

I bought a late Gen3 G26 about 2 years ago and it has never had reliable ejection. Out of the box it would dribble ammo onto my wrist and stovepipe fairly often. Installed an Apex extractor and it got better but was still poor. Tried installing an HRED and the longer extractor bearing, both made extractor tension to high preventing feeding.

The pistol sat around for a year or so. Every once and awhile I would shoot it, it would fail to eject and back in the safe.

I pulled a G17 magazine spring out and installed it in the G26 mag. Weak hand limp wrist shooting resulted in 2.5 foot high and 2 foot to the right ejection. The last round went high over my head. Mags still loaded to 10 rounds. Huge ejection improvement. This could be a last ditch effort for some problematic guns.
    Last edited by Leroy; 10-01-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Late to the party. Interesting read. I’m greatful my G19 G4 as been issue free (probably at 3-4K). Interesting to read a couple had issues into the higher round counts. Guess I’ll keep an eye on it.

I sure wish I could shoot my P2000 as well as my G19. I swear, a strategically placed bucket, and I could catch 80% of my brass, at a perfect 45° trajectory.

Guess I'm lucky, all my pistols (Glocks included) run as they should assuming I do my part, and feed them good ammunition.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

Picked up a new "factory" Cerakote Gen4 G19 that was made in 2016 and came with 30274 ejector installed. Didn't have long at the range, so only a box 147 HSTs and 2 boxes of PPU 9mm NATO. Ejection was pretty good at 4-5 o' clock with 3 BTF from the PPU and 1 from the HST. Later after cleaning, checked extractor tension which was weak and ejection was very weak with running the slide with dummy rounds almost falling out with no consistency.

I ordered a 47021 ejector before going down the Apex/Suarez and HRED route. Just by running the slide with dummy rounds ejection is now brisk and consistent. Won't be able to get back to the range until this weekend, but the 47021 ejector made a significant difference just running the slide. Have a bunch of 9mm NATO and WWB/FedAL powderpuff loads to check if the 47021 actually fixes ejection before adding an aftermarket extractor.

User Tag List