Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's "Almost Guaranteed to Work fixes for Gen4 Glock 9mm issues"

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1386 View Post
    Luckily my 4th gen 17 has started with the BTF after 1149 rounds. Will see if the HRED fixes the issues as it did in both of my 4th gen 19's.
    For whatever it's worth, the HRED took about 100-200 rounds to get 'settled in' with my G17. Works really well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    For whatever it's worth, the HRED took about 100-200 rounds to get 'settled in' with my G17. Works really well now.
    roger that, have another on order to drop in to the pistol. Will see how it goes over the next few months as I'm transitioning to the 19 for carry and training etc..

Joe
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

I picked up a Gen 4 G19 in June to be a backup / spare to my primary carry Gen 4 G19. I've had no issues with the first pistol. The new pistol, from the very first rounds fired, would BTF me 3-4 times a mag. Extraction was all over the map; face, to my left, over my head, 3-4 o'clock, had one that kinda rolled out ended up perfectly upright on the slide just behind the barrel. This was with WWB and Tula ammo for the most part; +p Gold Dots worked OK. I was NOT pleased.

Yesterday, I installed an HRED and an Apex Gen 3 extractor. Ran up to a local redneck range (there are advantages to living in coal country....plenty of places to shoot, and noone thinks anything of it) and shot 3 mags of WWB and a 50 round box of Tula. Zero BTF and everything ejected into a loose circle a few feet away at my 4-ish o'clock.

It is frustrating to have to drop after market parts into a brand new gun to keep brass off of your grill.

So, I've had the most curious experience with my oldest 2 glocks; a 19 and a 17RTF, both 3rd gens made in 2007 (MGX) and 2009 respectively. Both have been recently retired-ish from active working use as I picked up 4th gen replacements for each that I find I shoot a little better. Both guns began to gave me noticeable brass to face issues that I first noticed around spring of 2015, when the 19 was at approximately 8000 rounds and the 17 was at about 7000.

Recently, at round counts 8800 and 7600 for the 19 and 17 respectively, I replaced their existing extractor depressor plunger units with White Sound HREDs, hoping this would solve the problem. In the 19 it has, if anything, made things worse; now brass comes back at my face with very respectable velocities that make me very flinchy when shooting the gun. Today, in trying out the 17, the HRED completely reversed the problem; put all my brass in a neat little pile at my ~3:30.

Very weird that 2 guns of the "good" era vintage with the same problem an similar roundcounts would respond so differently to the HRED. Have a new ejector coming for the 19; we'll see if it changes anything.

So, I've had the most curious experience with my oldest 2 glocks; a 19 and a 17RTF, both 3rd gens made in 2007 (MGX) and 2009 respectively. Both have been recently retired-ish from active working use as I picked up 4th gen replacements for each that I find I shoot a little better. Both guns began to gave me noticeable brass to face issues that I first noticed around spring of 2015, when the 19 was at approximately 8000 rounds and the 17 was at about 7000.

Recently, at round counts 8800 and 7600 for the 19 and 17 respectively, I replaced their existing extractor depressor plunger units with White Sound HREDs, hoping this would solve the problem. In the 19 it has, if anything, made things worse; now brass comes back at my face with very respectable velocities that make me very flinchy when shooting the gun. Today, in trying out the 17, the HRED completely reversed the problem; put all my brass in a neat little pile at my ~3:30.

Very weird that 2 guns of the "good" era vintage with the same problem an similar roundcounts would respond so differently to the HRED. Have a new ejector coming for the 19; we'll see if it changes anything.
    Nephrology, were the two guns still running on the original recoil springs when they developed BTF?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Nephrology, were the two guns still running on the original recoil springs when they developed BTF?
    No, both have gotten fresh recoil springs in the last ~3000 rounds, and both handily pass the Glock recoil inspection test.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-30-2016 at 08:06 PM.

For what it's worth, installing the 30274 ejector in the above-mentioned Gen 3 Glock 19 has totally resolved my issues. 190 rounds down the pipe today (150rds 115gr Silver Bear, 40rds 147gr Winchester Ranger T), none hit my forehead and the majority ejected in a neat little pile about 5' to my right at roughly my 3 o'clock.

For what it's worth, installing the 30274 ejector in the above-mentioned Gen 3 Glock 19 has totally resolved my issues. 190 rounds down the pipe today (150rds 115gr Silver Bear, 40rds 147gr Winchester Ranger T), none hit my forehead and the majority ejected in a neat little pile about 5' to my right at roughly my 3 o'clock.
    Here's photo evidence .... the arrow is roughly right in between where my 2 feet were placed, pistol was obviously pointed away from my Toyota...

And the BTF problem re-emerged in my G17 in the last steel match I went to, and a few even happened in my G34.

I guess it's just me, even though I've never had this problem in CZ's, Walther's, HK's. I'm tiring of it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    And the BTF problem re-emerged in my G17 in the last steel match I went to, and a few even happened in my G34.

I guess it's just me, even though I've never had this problem in CZ's, Walther's, HK's. I'm tiring of it.
    In my above guns it took until past the 5k round mark for these problems to surface, and to be totally fair I never did try to resolve the issues with OEM parts. Buy the HRED and 30274 ejectors; combined they are about $25 and made my issues disappear entirely.

User Tag List