Thread: P-F Well Represented In Monthly Renton WA IDPA Match

P-F Well Represented In Monthly Renton WA IDPA Match

Nice weather yesterday-seems like we hit a fortuitous Pacific NW weather hole, Nice 7-stage match; I had a chance to see Edwin and Okie John, although we ended up shooting in different squads. Edwin and I were both shooting Beretta 92s-His was a beautifully put together Wilson, with an exceptional triggerpull, mine was my 92D. Okie John shot his HK VP9.

Outside of a static range session to confirm zero during the week, this was the first opportunity I had to utilize the sights P-F member Tooltech had provided and installed on my 92D; while mine came with Trijicon sights as the OEM sights, they had somewhat dimmed as mine is a 1996 build. While I had originally intended to simply re-lamp my front sight only (to ease front sight ID/acquisition) and keeping the dimmed rears, Tooltech suggested I go with a Trijicon green front tritium with an orange surround, and Trijicon yellow rear tritium lamps, with the tube surrounds blacked out. Since I've always liked the Trijicon sights/sight picture on the Beretta, I was happy to continue with them in this upgraded guise.

The basic concept was to have a easily acquired day sight, with the least possible confusion, and a night sight profile where the front and rear lamps were distinguishable during acquisition.

I'm pretty pleased-the sights work well in both day and night environments. Wile the orange front sight surround is a bit paler orange than my normal Testors Fluorescent Orange, it does successfully suck my eye into it, especially given the black rear sight profile in daylight. At night, the green front and yellow rears are distinguishable-more so the darker the environment.

While my overall score wasn't particularly distinguished, it was good to be back with the 92D-and the new sight picture did give me more confidence throughout the match, including enabling me to challenge another shooting friend to do a strong-hand-only stage unmandated by the stage description-our "iron-sharpening-iron" plus-up. He beat me time-wise, but we were both down zero, so we're counting it as a win-win.

While I'd hoped to be concurrently running and testing a new series of Check-Mate 92 magazines, they apparently were delayed in shipping, so that'll have to wait for the next match (I'll share details and results as allowed once they actually arrive and I run them).

Good match, good people, and a good time-and a bit of a Todd Green memorial of sorts as well.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-20-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Awesome. I need to get in on this; Renton is an easy day drive.

Third Saturday of every month-and Paul Bunyan, a bit further south in Puyallup, usually has a similar match on the 4th Saturday of the month also.

Best, Jon

It was good to shoot IDPA again after a hiatus of a couple of years.

Turns out I had run into JonInWa before--the last time I shot IDPA at Renton, he was armed with a P-35 in a British-issue cotton-duck full flap holster and wearing a necktie, both of which he claims were the result of losing a bet.

Speaking of ToddG, I ran into Drang at another range near Seattle on the day that Todd's passing was announced here. I went to conduct a sort of private memorial, but I noticed a guy a couple of lanes over shooting Dot Torture. Hmmm. Then he ran out a FAST target, so I went over and introduced myself. I invited him to shoot IDPA with Jon and me that weekend, but he had already been booked.

Any chance you guys want to put together a PF squad? I'd bet we've got enough PF guys in western Washington and Oregon to skew the demographics...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

True story-fellow IDPA member Euan, both Scottish and a former British Army officer perennially had one of our "Empire vs Colonial" sidebar matches-the stakes were that the looser had to shoot the subsequent match with a pistol appropriate to the winner's nationality/army, wearing the winner's unit/regimental crest.

I lost (needless to say), so I upped the masochism scale by not only wearing the appropriate patch on my hat Euan provided, but also using a Brtish Army DPM smock given to me during a deployment with the BAOR by a Royal Artillery officer; the tie was a Regimental one that I procured from the Brit PX for Ocktoberfest during the deployment. The issue canvas holster was highly protective, but anything but a speed rig-it consisted of a dual flap setup, both of which needed to be moved to access the pistol. I actually got fairly decent with it, but no land-speed records were set that match by me-but the cognoscenti were vastly entertained.

To top that, the club president and I (along with any other willing participants/dupes) annually run our P.08 Lugers in an IDPA match. Believe it or not, they're actually reasonably competitive...

Best, Jon

I usually work Saturdays; took yesterday off so I could get HH6 to the "Concealed Carry Fashion Show" at the WAC gun show in Puyallup.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Putting together a P-F squad (or a P-F heavy squad) wouldn't be hard-As Okie John discovered, I normally assist in the New-To-IDPA Shooter Orientation Briefing, which means I'm there early, and can fill us out on the squad sheet as long as I know who's coming before the match.

Best, Jon

Small world. Euan and I run in the same circle.

I'm pretty happy with my 2nd overall placing and my 92 performed well but I totally bombed the next day at Marysville USPSA. https://practiscore.com/results/542c...e74c270e/index

I'm in CA about to take a Langdon class tomorrow so hopefully I can turn around my dismal performance.

Is there a pistol-training or forum patch I can get for my IDPA vest? Would be great to get a P-F squad at the next match.

I usually have to miss Paul Bunyan IDPA because I help setup Renton's USPSA for the next day and do stats/registration.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I really want to lose my IDPA virginity this summer, as soon as my 2 boys finish up with baseball.

User Tag List