Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a .45ACP auto

When I was at the 2016 Tactical Conference, one of the instructors I talked to said he had trouble with M&P 45 magazine springs losing their tension and he had needed to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Title edited and I'd look at an M&P45. The HK is definitely more reliable, more expensive, and has a worse trigger.
    Which mode of HK trigger are you comparing to ?
    HK DA is very heavy, SA can be OK (USP series, HK45 series) to great (USPT).

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    When I was at the 2016 Tactical Conference, one of the instructors I talked to said he had trouble with M&P 45 magazine springs losing their tension and he had needed to replace them.
    Looks like Wolff makes replacement magazine springs for a pretty reasonable price. I'd say that's a decent fix to that problem.

https://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto...1/mID58/dID419

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I had a HK USP .45c, it was very accurate but unreliable, I do considerate it an outlier and I have had several HKs since that were faultlessly reliable.
    I had one briefly and while it functioned just fine, it seemed like the same German that designed the MP5 selector worked on the USPc. I wanted to take a belt sander to the frame just behind the safety.

For $2K or less, I'd buy one of the new Colt 1911s. If I wanted a cheaper gun I'd try an M&P.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    S&W had one large batch of mags with bad springs. S&W replaced the Springs free of charge.

There have been two spring revisions, originals were orange, followed by purple, latest ones are green and are good to go. This is the only issue I've ever heard of with the M&P 45.

FWIW, my M&P45's (one FS, one compact) were some of the most accurate 45's I've ever shot. Triggers were also much better than my pair of M&P 9's (one FS, one compact) Sample of two.
    Last edited by StraitR; 03-21-2016 at 05:46 PM.

I've got an XD45 that I really like. The grip feels pretty close to a 1911.

I have never shot one, but I like the feel of the FN45. same goes for the new Ruger American.

But...thr hands down winner in the 45 realm is the 1911. As others have said the Dan Wesson or one of the upper Springfields are king of the sub 2Ks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpnav View Post
    I've got an XD45 that I really like. The grip feels pretty close to a 1911.

I have never shot one, but I like the feel of the FN45. same goes for the new Ruger American.

But...thr hands down winner in the 45 realm is the 1911. As others have said the Dan Wesson or one of the upper Springfields are king of the sub 2Ks.
    The FN45 feels OK if you have XL/XXL hands which I do but for most people it's kind of big. Plus it's had some weird reliability issues related to frame flexing and failure to fire when it heats up. For similar money I would buy another HK USP 45 tactical - like the one I never should have sold .....

I came recently to shooting the HK USP 45 Tactical and love it. Match accurate, great trigger, .45 Super strong, 12 round magazine. All it needs is a picatinny rail and GG&G or Surefire make adapters.
    If you have XL hands it is great. With my forearm centered behind the gun, my finger joints bend exactly at the front corners on both sides of the frame.

It depends. As others have stated, situational use/environments can be a huge steering factor in selection. Probably the highest quality (combining component and manufacturing quality) would be an HK; commonly mentioned ones are the HK45, HK45C, or the USP45.

Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks tend to play to good reviews, and are hands-down the easiest to maintain and detail disassemble/reassemble. Their accuracy also tends to be quite good; my personal Gen 3 "big butt" G21 has had thousands of rounds through it with absolutely zero malfunctions. The girth of the receiver does, however, make it a bit more difficult for me to shoot as well or as fast as my 9mm Glocks, despite its stellar accuracy. I've added Warren/Sevigny Carry sights, and slimmed down the girth a bit by removing the segment of mountain bike inner tube that I've run on it for years; we'll see.

1911s are a beast of another feather (to fearlessly mix two metaphors); they can require some expert setting up and more vetting and maintenance. The platform is rewarding, but arguably more demanding than others. In a sub-$2K 1911, I'd take a hard look at some of Colt's current offerings, and a very nice value proposition in the 1911 word seems to be inherent to Ruger's 1911s. In a 1911, I strongly counsel choosing a traditional Government platform, with a traditional bushing barrel, at east to start-they were what John Browning designed, and I think will have the best chance for out-of-the-box reliability.

Best, Jon

User Tag List