Thread: 9mm primer cup insert

9mm primer cup insert

While collecting some 9mm brass cases at the range and taking them home for reloading I noticed that inside the primer cup of a few of the casings there was a steel insert in the primer hole. Does anyone know if this is normal or is it a bad case? The case reads "AMMOLOAD 9mm LUGER". Thanks for your help in advance.
    Last edited by Mick; 03-20-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Berdan Primer

[QUOTE=Mick;421647]While collecting some 9mm brass cases at the range and taking them home for reloading I noticed that inside the primer cup of a few of the casings there was a steel insert in the primer hole. Does anyone know if this is normal or is it a bad case? The case reads "AMMOLOAD 9mm LUGER". Thanks for your help in advance.[/QUOTE

I looked at a picture on the web and it seems to be a berdan primed case. Berdan primers use the cartridge case as the anvil of the primer and have 2 flash holes. The part of the case the primer uses for the anvil is between the holes
    Last edited by xcop; 03-20-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: info

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    "AMMOLOAD 9mm LUGER".
    FWIW: Their brass has been known to be less than friendly to reloaders:

Without being able to measure the hole diameter I am curious if this is a reduction in ID in the flash hole. Which I fear would change the characteristics of the round. This insert is literally inside the flash hole opening. I will go take a picture of the case and one without the insert to better help answer my questionName:  DSC01706.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  40.0 KBName:  DSC01706.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  40.0 KB. That is an actual steel insert.
    Last edited by Mick; 03-20-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Name:  8371382675_3dfc3446c9_c.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  51.9 KB
    Without being able to measure the hole diameter I am curious if this is a reduction in ID in the flash hole. Which I fear would change the characteristics of the round. This insert is literally inside the flash hole opening. I will go take a picture of the case and one without the insert to better help answer my question
    I wonder if this is someone reaming out the anvil and making one large flash hole? The picture I added looks like the hole(s) was reamed from inside out
    Last edited by xcop; 03-20-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Without being able to measure the hole diameter I am curious if this is a reduction in ID in the flash hole. Which I fear would change the characteristics of the round.
    Regardless of that consideration, the ledge inside that brass (and IMT, and FM - IIRC it's all Freedom Munitions brass) provides a nice spot for case separations to occur. I have seen this happen to a fellow competitor, and it took him out of the match because the front half of the case got stuck in the chamber and he couldn't get it out. That alone is enough for me to classify it as "DO NOT WANT." Granted, he was shooting 9 major, but given how close to free 9mm brass is, there's just no reason to risk using that junk at any power factor.

I agree with you but I was just curious is all.

Have no idea about the apparent insert. The ledge not only gives less internal volume, it is also a stress riser and the cases can crack at the top of the ridge after a few firings.

User Tag List