Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk GSD's

Great Choice. I had 2 growing up, and 1 that grew up with my kids. My kids are now grown and the dog had to be put to sleep I could probably write you a book. I had the same concerns as you, and since I was familiar with GSD's we decided to get one. Best move I ever made.

I would however be wary with small kids and big dogs, I think mine were 6 and 8 when we got the dog so they grew up together. Honestly a true working/guard dog and family dog are hard to mix together. ie its not a good idea for an aggressively trained dog to be allowed to lay around with the kids.

My GSD was naturally protective of our family, but it was definitely my sons dog. The dog thought he was one of my kids, but instinctively knew when something was not right and went into full protection mode.

Some issue to consider:
    You need to establish who the big dog is, To quote the Dog Whisperer " Calm Assertive Energy"
    Great dog if you are able to make him part of the family
    They appear and can be intimidating to others, but when properly trained they are really big babies with the family, assuming the pack order has been established
    They do get bored and will chew shit up, we probably should have crate trained him for 2 years, before we could let him have the run of the house when we were not home
    They are very intelligent, but will test you, kinda like kids do when they are teenagers
    They SHED like NOTHING you have ever seen, so be prepared to deal with dog hair forever!
    Check into health certifications OFA/DM can be very expensive
    Mine liked the cold would lay on the deck in snow and did not want to come in
    The poor things tongue hung out all summer[/SIZE]

I was more at ease and felt safer when we had our GSD, than I am now with my alarm system. He was and alarm, guard, and fury kid rolled into one! Never really if the door was locked. We lived in the country and the dog and kids ran through the woods together, just an added piece of mind.

I swear the dog would let anyone in the house if we told him it was OK, but if he didn't know them, I swear he watched them with a DON'T FUCK UP attitude. You would have to see it it believe it.

Me and my wife were sitting on the deck one day, and the dog's ears perked up, then he started wagging his tail and got up and walked off the deck, just then a good friend pulled in the driveway. The dog was excited to see him, but when he got out of the truck the dog started growling... WTF then he spoke to the dog and the dog got excited again, then started growling, then the dog ran back by my wife's side and started growling. Every time my buddy spoke the dogs tail would wag, then he would growl again.. WTF AGAIN!

To make a long story short my buddy was picking berries, and stopped by to bring us some. As ole timers use to do, he wrapped rags soaked in diesel fuel around his legs to keep the chiggers and ticks off him. This confused the hell out of the dog, their primary sense of recognition is smell. After we figured out what was going on, it was truly amazing to see him go from puppy dog to Bad ASS. My wife said Now I know I am safe with the dog when your not around!

Kinda like my kids I wouldn't take 10 million$ for them, but I wouldn't give you a nickel for another one!
    Sorry enough rambling, I really don't think you can wrong. I gotta go look at some old pics of the dog and kids.......
    I hope this was helpful

And as far as dog training goes. I have made the switch from using adversives (pinch collars, shock collars and other painfull devices) to use positive training. I enjoy it much more and so do the dogs. You can find a trainer that uses positive methods here
    Last edited by Mickey; 03-19-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

Katie is the best dog I've ever met, let alone had. We guess about 1/2 GSD 1/2 lab. 50 pounds -- big enough to scare those that don't know better and small enough to control easily. Very protective of the kid -- rushes me if I tickle him and controls my arm. Literally perfect disposition. Hybrid vigor is not to be underestimated.
    Cool story. When I was born, my parents had a German Shepherd/Lab mix that looks exactly like your girl, with those half straight/floppy ears. He was an adult when I came into the world, and lived a long time--16 or so. My dad credits that dog with saving him from a charging bull that we had on our small farm -- got right in the bull's face. He had a lot of hybrid vigor, and was 100 percent dog. (Eating everything-- including chickens, neighbor's rabbits etc...I believe there was an incident when I got too close to his food dish as toddler, too). Good dog though... lifted his leg on an ornery neighbor once, too.

I'm a dog lover, surprising I know, as I've often stated my opinion on the asshatish behavior of people who insist on humanizing their pets. It's the owners I have a problem with, not the dogs. I'm going to assume GSD means Genral Service Dog? (the acronym addicts strike again) I'd never consider a Malanois as a family pet. They're wound too tight and sometimes I think they're bi-polar. Great police K-9's, lousy family pets. A boxer would be great around the kids, dumb as the proverbial box of rocks, but a good choice if you don't want to worry about it eating your baby's face off. You'd better like training him though, as they're so stupid that's all you'll be doing. A German Shepard is a good choice, but be very conscious of where and from whom you obtain it, otherwise your significant investment will soon go to doggy heaven from things like hip dysplasia and heart disease. We had a Doberman for years that was a wonderful addition to the family. Treat it right and you'll never find a more loyal and loving security system for your family. Be aware that the dobie forms a very close bond with it's pack, in this case your family. It needs regular contact with the family and isn't the choice for the pet owner who leaves it in the backyard most of the time and just throws it food once a day. Be that guy and stand by for the aforementioned face eating. We haven't owned dogs for several years now, as we simply grew tired of the boat anchor that dogs become. However, if I was ever to get another it would be a Doberman.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-19-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'm a dog lover, surprising I know, as I've often stated my opinion on the asshatish behavior of people who insist on humanizing their pets. It's the owners I have a problem with, not the dogs. I'm going to assume GSD means Genral Service Dog? (the acronym addicts strike again) I'd never consider a Malanois as a family pet. They're wound too tight and sometimes I think they're bi-polar. Great police K-9's, lousy family pets. A boxer would be great around the kids, dumb as the proverbial box of rocks, but a good choice if you don't want to worry about it eating your baby's face off. You'd better like training him though, as they're so stupid that's all you'll be doing. A German Shepard is a good choice, but be very conscious of where and from whom you obtain it, otherwise your significant investment will soon go to doggy heaven from things like hip dysplasia and heart disease. We had a Doberman for years that was a wonderful addition to the family. Treat it right and you'll never find a more loyal and loving security system for your family. Be aware that the dobie forms a very close bond with it's pack, in this case your family. It needs regular contact with the family and isn't the choice for the pet owner who leaves it in the backyard most of the time and just throws it food once a day. Be that guy and stand by for the aforementioned face eating. We haven't owned dogs for several years now, as we simply grew tired of the boat anchor that dogs become. However, if I was ever to get another it would be a Doberman.
    Not to be dick, but maybe to be, it means German shepherd dog..

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Not to be dick, but maybe to be, it means German shepherd dog..
    It is German Shepard Dog.....but otherwise, a pretty good assessment by trooper 224.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'm going to assume GSD means Genral Service Dog? (the acronym addicts strike again)
    You did better than me. I had no idea what GSD stood for until I opened the thread. Shepherds are great dogs, but everyone knows that the LRD is the kid of canines.

PS-Get some of that, acronym lovers.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    They SHED like NOTHING you have ever seen, so be prepared to deal with dog hair forever!
    Sweet jesus yes. I love my GSD but my god does she shed. Given I'm somewhat OCD about keeping the floor clean, this part has driven me slightly nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You did better than me. I had no idea what GSD stood for until I opened the thread. Shepherds are great dogs, but everyone knows that the LRD is the kid of canines.

PS-Get some of that, acronym lovers.
    Try this furminator...it works.

http://www.furminator.com/pet-deshed...ons-tools.aspx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    It is German Shepard Dog.....but otherwise, a pretty good assessment by trooper 224.
    Agreed. Funny my wife and I had the "boat anchor" conversation the other day. There is no way around it, they do complicate a lot of stuff.

User Tag List