Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk GSD's

Well done.

You will be rewarded beyond measure. The rescued ones understand what has happened to them.

Name:  1E402A44-CAA8-4793-A32C-6A47EBC34B98.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  40.6 KB
    Our GSD/something mix was a rescue, a stray from a rural town who had several litters and whose teats dragged the floor — we knew she had slim chances so we grabbed her. She has a frenetic aversion to storm drains. I don’t know what fresh hell she found in one some dark day in her past, but I block traffic to go into the street with her so she can walk the yellow line between them.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Your a good person JAD.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    I've only ever had rescue dogs of varying breeds and yes they are intensely loyal and appreciative.

The rescue GSD I had many many years ago took what I remember to be about 6 months to acclimate to everything.

The lab I rescued took about half that.

Two GSDs here. My female turned 5 yesterday. My male will be 4 in December. Both are trained in German and have done obedience, protection and nose work.

My sons were constantly asking to get a GSD and for the longest time the timing wasn't right. Partly because my wife was afraid/concerned about the breed and we had a dog/s at the time. She was very hesitant but finally became comfortable with the idea.

I did my homework looking for the right dog. I learned not all GSDs are created equal. Just like any breed there are GSDs that are a 'coat of paint', meaning GSD looks on the outside generic dog on the inside. Quality purpose breed GSDs range widely in their level of 'drive'. A GSD suitable for police or military work may not be a great family dog (not impossible but it takes a special dog that can be comfortable in both worlds). However from what I have seen a GSD stands a better chance of bridging that gap than a Belgian Mal.

I relied on the recommendations from a few LEOs I know who all pointed me in the same direction. https://grassoshepherds.com/ourDogs.html

Crate training has been the way to go and in my opinion should be done with every dog. I've housebroken or been around (as a kid) many many dogs. Struggling to teach them to do their business outside can be a challenge. I can count the total number of times my two GSDs had an accident in the house on one hand. The crate works! They were never left alone. When they were puppies I put their crates next to my bed and elevated it to bed top level. They could see me all night. My wife is jealous of the attention I get and how the dogs eyes follow my every move.

Speaking of my wife, the one that was concerned about getting a GSD and thought we should stay with a sporting breed like a Golden. She is the one who encouraged me to get the 2nd GSD. She was so enamored with our 1st GSD she wanted a 2nd. A total change in heart about the breed once familiar.

The reason why Amazon, UPS & FedEx can be reluctant to deliver.
    Name:  on watch.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  77.5 KB

Male vs. Female size comparison.
    Name:  size dif.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  64.8 KB

On one of out daily outings.
    Name:  Hike.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  106.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    We have a new addition to the family. After loosing Remi to a nine month struggle with an aggressive adenocarcinoma, I wasn't sure if I was ready to get another dog, but household six mentioned in passing that one of the local shelters had six GSDs of various ages. So we went to "AWSOME" to donate Remi's left over bag of kibble and "just look at" the sheps, which I knew was bullshit when I said it. We adopted the one that had been there the longest who had been taken from her previous owners by the local police for neglect. One and a half year old female with a flop ear which we renamed Sadie(as per HH6 who wasn't a fan of her old name). Apparently, I managed to wear her out a little on our last outing.

Attachment 78668
    She is gorgeous! Thank you for providing a good home to a sweet girl in need. I'm very sorry to hear about Remy it looks like you gave him a good home for 12 years, and I'm sure he loved every minute of it. Every time that time comes, I don't know how I could possibly do it with another dog, but I always do and they're always worth the inevitable heartbreak. I figure best we can do is make their time on earth as good as it can be for them. And they always seem to do the same in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Your a good person JAD.
    No, but I know what to do about it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    She is gorgeous! ... Every time that time comes, I don't know how I could possibly do it with another dog, but I always do and they're always worth the inevitable heartbreak. I figure best we can do is make their time on earth as good as it can be for them. And they always seem to do the same in return.
    Thanks. And that last part sums up our experiences very well.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

[QUOTE=JohnO;1278338]When they were puppies I put their crates next to my bed and elevated it to bed top level. They could see me all night. My wife is jealous of the attention I get and how the dogs eyes follow my every move.

Male vs. Female size comparison.
    Name:  size dif.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  64.8 KB

Hey you stole my dogs!
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 10-20-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Name:  B98C19AF-57EA-4D3D-AD13-910910D6ADB3.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  31.2 KB
    This is our boy, 3 yo recently earned his IGP1 (modern version of Schutzhund 1) this summer. Our first GSD, wish I would have got into them earlier. Amazing dogs.

User Tag List