Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk GSD's

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Oh yeah, two dogs ago I had a GSD that would go after the push mower but I fixed that. I don't think that this girl has that inclination at all with regards to my beloved chainsaw.
    Friend told me his one Corgi had a real dislike for mowers. We had a female shepherd who considered vacuums to be the spawn of Satan.

Vacuums are hilarious. My guy will play fight with them but is paranoid about being touched by the wand bit.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Thought this thread needed to be kept alive.

Name:  20150924_072722.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  41.6 KB

Mom on the left, daughter on the right.
    Last edited by Alembic; 08-05-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Great suggestions. The Monks first book, The Art of Raising a Puppy is excellent, and a must for any first time puppy owner, regardless of breed. Unfortunately, I loaned it out years ago and never received it back. And FYI, book thieves make poor dog owners IME.
    They did you a favor. The book is hilariously bad and contrary to established best practices.

Here are few links to peer-reviewed journal articles:

https://positively.com/dog-training/...tive-training/

Mom is second generation out of Slovakia, no papers, sire's owner had just come over from the old country and had no interest in the AKC. Pup's sire, Kazan was also paperless He was owned by a Czech family in our little Colorado ski town. Both dogs had a known history of good health and good hips going back many generations. She approached us, and after a year we gave in and let the adults get together. The result was a litter of just two females. Alpha and Beta, born Dec. 15, 2014, negative 20 outside. The sire's owner was unable to take a female, Kazan was still intact. Alpha went to a friend who was well experienced with Shepherds. We kept Beta. My daughter renamed Beta "Chilly".

Name:  20150518_091821.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  20151223_143320.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  93.0 KB
    Last edited by Alembic; 08-05-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    Beautiful! My wife's allergies preclude a GSD, but they are amazing dogs and I'm jealous of your good fortune.

Yep, I'm very lucky, but they are a hand full. I joke they're my kids that won't grow up.

We put in a minimum of two hours a day with them, sometimes just walking in the morning and at night, other times they are the center of attention for most of the day. We play hide and seek and fetch, ball vs. stick vs other toys. Try to keep their mind engaged. Other times just an afternoon swimming in a pond or river.

In reference previous posts, just be honest with yourself, if you want a dog, but can't put the time in, get a Bernese Mountain Dog, they're protective and lazy.
    Last edited by Alembic; 08-05-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a great little Brittany. Her amount of hair and shedding is our limit of tolerance for my poor spouse's allergies. Our previous dog was a Schnauzer, but they're a little tough to hunt birds with. And you're absolutely right - time every day focusing on them and getting them the exercise they need is key to having a harmonious pet and home experience.

We have a new addition to the family. After loosing Remi to a nine month struggle with an aggressive adenocarcinoma, I wasn't sure if I was ready to get another dog, but household six mentioned in passing that one of the local shelters had six GSDs of various ages. So we went to "AWSOME" to donate Remi's left over bag of kibble and "just look at" the sheps, which I knew was bullshit when I said it. We adopted the one that had been there the longest who had been taken from her previous owners by the local police for neglect. One and a half year old female with a flop ear which we renamed Sadie(as per HH6 who wasn't a fan of her old name). Apparently, I managed to wear her out a little on our last outing.

Name:  Sadie_2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  53.2 KB
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

^^^^^

Well done, my friend.

Kind of how our current resident arrived at the household after losing my Weim in my avatar.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List