Thread: Does "Clear Gel" produce more or less expansion than FBI spec gel?

Does "Clear Gel" produce more or less expansion than FBI spec gel?

I totally get that the clear gel product is a compromised medium for testing.

However, in an attempt to salvage some sort of data from the very extensive testing that Lucky Gunner sponsored, I ask...

Is the expansion we see in the clear gel greater or more rapid in clear gel than the correct medium? Perhaps less or slower than 10%?
    Anybody know the answer to this?

In my use so far it appears to give similar expansion, but penetration in clear gel is greater by a bit.

Example, in FBI gel the 124gr +P Gold Dot typically shows penetration in the 15" range through denim, but in my clear gel test shots the bullets are popping out the back of the 18" block.

Handy Speer bullet poster;
    http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/downl...dDotPoster.pdf
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

The most important variable, and I left it out. Penetration.
    Very interesting, particularly in a marginal load. Their results make some .380 JHP loads look very attractive. Expansion AND 12+ inches! Maybe not...

chuck: nice poster, but my OCD wonders why they weren't consistent with using the same firearm for the same caliber all the time. I'm guessing different testing at different times.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

We have not found the current synthetic clear gel options to offer acceptable results for terminal ballistic research. This is particularly apparent with rifle loads, but also a problem with handgun ammunition. Keep in mind that NONE of the clear synthetic gels have been correlated with living tissue and NONE are FBI compliant.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I totally get that the clear gel product is a compromised medium for testing.

However, in an attempt to salvage some sort of data from the very extensive testing that Lucky Gunner sponsored, I ask...

Is the expansion we see in the clear gel greater or more rapid in clear gel than the correct medium? Perhaps less or slower than 10%?
    Anybody know the answer to this?
    Generally less; it's about 20% less dense than 10% "real" gel. Also, quality/quantity control of ingredients is poor and the results in this clear stuff are, at best, for entertainment purposes only!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In my use so far it appears to give similar expansion, but penetration in clear gel is greater by a bit.

Example, in FBI gel the 124gr +P Gold Dot typically shows penetration in the 15" range through denim, but in my clear gel test shots the bullets are popping out the back of the 18" block.

Handy Speer bullet poster;
    http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/downl...dDotPoster.pdf
    If you are talking about four layers of denim, the FBI doesn't use that as a test it uses heavy clothing. The four layers of denim was used by the IWBA. In clear get most bullets fail the four layers of denim. I don't know how the four layers does in real gel.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List