Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Long gun choice

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    For what you want the gun to do I'd seriously think about a Mossberg 590 with the factory ghost rings
    I've heard of some reliability issue with them. Not true or an issue since fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    What would you go for as a go to long gun if you were stuck here in NY? Would you skip the long gun altogether as an alternative?

The rules:

10 rd capacity (if the gun is designed for more, the mags must be 10 rd).
    If the mag is detachable and the gun is semi-auto, no other features are allowed. No muzzle device or threads. 16" bbl or 18" for shotgun. No collapsible stock. No pistol grips whatsoever.
    If the gun is NOT a semi-automatic, we can have a brake, detachable mag or pistol grips.
    If semi-auto, the only feature allowed is a detachable mag.
    Tons of good suggestions thus far. I'll add the following in no particular order:
    • Ruger 77/357 or 77/44: light, handy, plenty of punch, uses common ammo, easy to mount a scope, easy to use a loop sling, doesn't look threatening, available in stainless, ammo can be used in handguns.
    • 357 or 44 lever gun: light, handy, plenty of punch, uses common ammo, a little harder to scope or use a loop sling, doesn't look threatening, available in stainless, ammo can be used in handguns.
    • Remington pump or semi: a bit heavier and less handy, more punch than a lever gun (maybe too much), uses common ammo, manual of arms very similar to the 870, tons of aftermarket support, 10-shot mags available, can be found cheap if you don't mind a beater. In New York, this or a Marlin in 35 Remington might be as close to grey man as you can get.
    • SKS: you may have to cut off a bayonet lug or grenade launcher, but they're cheap and reliable, they fire common ammo, and there's some intelligent aftermarket support.

Barrel quality on the one or two Mossbergs I've seen in person seems a little rough, but Howa makes a sweet little DBM rig (http://legacysports.com/alpine-mountain-rifle) if that strikes your fancy.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Okie, do you have a model number for the Remington pump rifle?

Site Supporter
    It's not a true AR replacement but the current generation mini 14 is not a bad 100-200 carbine. Accuracy is is much easier ( 2x) better than the older guns. They are not as durable as an AR for high around counts but for a centerfire planter and possible home defense gun they are fine. The newer versions are made on new tooling, they also usually have a Thicker, shorter barrel, 16 inch, which helps accuracy, and they are much better for mounting an optic.

If you want a 308 semiauto, I would go with the 18 inch barrel models like the scout version over the SOCCOM. With the 18 inch barrel version you get the original gas system and the original gas block. The modified gas block and gas system on the Cellcom is a known failure point.

The Ruger scout rifle is decent, I much prefer the Newark synthetic stock aversion to the original one in stock. It feels and handles like a whole different gun.

I have a CZ 527 in 762X39. It is a great little gun.

I seem to recall you posting in the 1911 picture thread.Another fun gun/plinker would be the Marlon camp carbine and 45 ACP. The 45 version uses 1911 mags. My dad had a 9 mm version and it ran well.

760 or 7600. In production since the early 50's.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 03-18-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    760 or 7600. In production since the early 50's.

Okie John
    22" bbl. 4 rds capacity .

Ruger just came out with a new model Mini-14 tactical without a flashhider, 16" barrel without any evil features. Only problem is it ships with 20 round mags for some reason. Shouldn't be a big deal.

http://ruger.com/products/mini14Tact...eets/5820.html
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 03-18-2016 at 01:36 PM.

22" bbl. 4 rds capacity .
    They also made 18.5" carbines. Aftermarket mags get you to 10 rounds. They also made a .223 patrol rifle but I haven't heard much about it.

Okie John

They also built 740 and 7400 semi-auto rifles and carbines.

Okie John

I've heard of some reliability issue with them. Not true or an issue since fixed?
    Maybe not as reliable as an 870, but much easier to fix when they do break.

http://summitgunbroker.com/870-wm-.html

It's not a rifle, but this would be hard to beat for the price.

User Tag List