Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Long gun choice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Especially if you are concerned with maximum style points of course. As you should be.
    Name:  browning-auto-5.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  97.3 KB

There's a guy on YT who does some neat gun projects and he's working on a "whippet" gun based on Clyde Barrow's Auto 5 gun. He hasn't updated that project in a while though. I see the remington clones for not much money. Not sure how "PC" something like that would be though. I really think a wood-stocked lever or bolt gun would be the best option if you're concerned about the legal aftermath of a defensive encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I really think a wood-stocked lever or bolt gun would be the best option if you're concerned about the legal aftermath of a defensive encounter.
    This has long been my approach to living armed in a PC state: Keep a low profile. Maybe the bolt rifle in my truck isn't as good a fighting rifle as an AR, but I've spent a lot of time training with it in that role. In a perfect world, like when I finally move full time to a free state, my 6.5 Grendel AR would be my choice for a general purpose rifle. Until then, I'm comfortable with the little CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I'd listen closely to what Nyeti has written.

Personally in a state with asinine illogical firearms laws and 10 rd mag restriction, I'd go with a Rem 870, .44 Mag or .30-30 lever gun, or M1 rifle. CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39 or an SMLE would also be reasonable if you want a bolt gun.
    Speaking of the 870, I know that the current ones are suspect. How far back do the problems go? Is there a vintage that's widely considered solid?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Speaking of the 870, I know that the current ones are suspect. How far back do the problems go? Is there a vintage that's widely considered solid?

Thanks,

Okie John
    Hans Vang used to recommend the 870P, as the police model had enhancements over the regular 870. Not sure what the status of P models is these days. You can't go wrong with an older Wingmaster to build on, as long as 2.75 isn't a problem for you. They have smooth actions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A short barreled Belgian Browning A5 is rarely a bad choice.

This one stands guard at our house.

I recently handled a Ruger American Ranch bolt action. It was compact, had a decent action, and a good trigger. Comes in 5.56 and .300 BLK. Threaded. Inexpensive. Worth a look.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hans Vang used to recommend the 870P, as the police model had enhancements over the regular 870. Not sure what the status of P models is these days. You can't go wrong with an older Wingmaster to build on, as long as 2.75 isn't a problem for you. They have smooth actions.
    Perfect. Thanks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    The only issue with the old wingmasters is for serious use you should get them converted / upgraded to the Flex tab system for clearing malfunctions.

I recently handled a Ruger American Ranch bolt action. It was compact, had a decent action, and a good trigger. Comes in 5.56 and .300 BLK. Threaded. Inexpensive. Worth a look.
    I'm really tempted to get one of these in .300 w/ a 1-6x for a GP/"Hillary" rifle.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List