Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Long gun choice

NY Long gun choice

What would you go for as a go to long gun if you were stuck here in NY? Would you skip the long gun altogether as an alternative?

The rules:

10 rd capacity (if the gun is designed for more, the mags must be 10 rd).
    If the mag is detachable and the gun is semi-auto, no other features are allowed. No muzzle device or threads. 16" bbl or 18" for shotgun. No collapsible stock. No pistol grips whatsoever.
    If the gun is NOT a semi-automatic, we can have a brake, detachable mag or pistol grips.
    If semi-auto, the only feature allowed is a detachable mag.

Rich

Can the long gun be loaded in tube/magazine or do you have to start from empty?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You can have detachable mags and have one in the chamber. Can be a tube mag loaded too. I really like the idea of having a detachable mag though.
    Last edited by newyork; 03-18-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Three possibilities:

Benelli M1/2

30-30 Marlin or Winchester

CZ in .223 or 7.62x39 with those nifty five round magazines

I would take any of those, backed up with a NY legal handgun, over just a handgun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

How about the Ruger Gunsight?

That CZ does look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    What would you go for as a go to long gun if you were stuck here in NY? Would you skip the long gun altogether as an alternative?

The rules:

10 rd capacity (if the gun is designed for more, the mags must be 10 rd).
    If the mag is detachable and the gun is semi-auto, no other features are allowed. No muzzle device or threads. 16" bbl or 18" for shotgun. No collapsible stock. No pistol grips whatsoever.
    If the gun is NOT a semi-automatic, we can have a brake, detachable mag or pistol grips.
    If semi-auto, the only feature allowed is a detachable mag.

Rich
    What are you doing with it?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Three possibilities:

Benelli M1/2

30-30 Marlin or Winchester

CZ in .223 or 7.62x39 with those nifty five round magazines

I would take any of those, backed up with a NY legal handgun, over just a handgun.
    What he said.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

NY Long gun choice

Long gun for... Home defense? "Shtf" general purposes?

If short ranges are primary situation, a shotgun would be a very versatile choice. Thinking that the right load turns 5 rounds of magazine capacity into 40-45 "rounds" on target.

If the range of a rifle is a requirement, there are several nice detachable magazine "practical" bolt guns on the market these days. Ruger Gunsite Scout, Savage has a similar setup model 11 I think, the aforementioned CZ, Mossberg has a couple MVP models I think as well.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 03-18-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    What are you doing with it?

Okie John
    Ya know. Good point. I am not a hunter. I just miss having a good long gun around. I used to have AR15s and would take classes and regularly train with them. So I suppose I am just filling a void. The stupid SHTF scenario comes to mind but that's silly. Bump in the night or protection, all nods go to my handguns.

I suppose target and plinking at this point, although my initial thoughts were a fighting gun.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Long gun for... Home defense? "Shtf" general purposes?

If short ranges are primary situation, a shotgun would be a very versatile choice.

If the range of a rifle is a requirement, there are several nice detachable magazine "practical" bolt guns on the market these days.
    Not a lot of spaces bigger than 100yds here unless i were in a farm field or beach area. Not likely.

Maybe pistol for everything out to 100, rifle for distance or
    Pistol and shotgun for close and I hide otherwise.

User Tag List