Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Personally Owned Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That case is still being settled, and not everything is available in a handy Google search package. I know more than I am supposed to about that case, basically it's a Skimmer trigger, installed against department regs but work down by a department armorer, trigger tested at 1.85 pounds, and a fatal ND into a bystander during the course of an arrest. The trigger in this case is clearly something that is a factor in play.

Personally owned guns are not an issue, in any way. Fuckery can happen with department guns as well. The gun being personally woned has nothing to do with the issues one needs to stay on top of.

BTW, NYPD, LAPD, Chicago, the FBI, and numerous other large agencies have or have had a large personally owned weapons program. It's workable.
    ND on a shit trigger? Who woulda thought...

I am all for people getting guns tht work best for them.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Got a link and summary of facts? I am eager to see what legal decisions and or consequences there are for modifications on duty firearms.
    This is the incident. Basically, it was a classic flex/reflex response; Phebus and another deputy were trying to control a grounded suspect (who was shirtless, sweaty, and… well, I'm sure you're familiar with that kind of citizen), when his homey ran up shouting and gesticulating. Phebus drew and warned him away; grounded suspect tried to make a break for it while retard homey refused to back off… fill in the blanks.

Would this have happened with a "standard" Glock trigger? Perhaps. But the thing is, plaintiff's attorneys are getting more and more knowledgeable, daily, about guns in general… and ANY modifications to stock factory specs paints a big bullseye on any incident.

Spare me any comments about this guy's background, etc. Its irrelevant here. He was not true-billed because it was quite evident to all witnesses; even the belligerent ones; that he did NOT intend to shoot the kid deliberately.

This became an equipment issue… and that was the point I was trying to make. Intentions count for NOTHING anymore; its all about perception.

http://www.wafb.com/story/19357477/i...old-the-future

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    This is the incident. Basically, it was a classic flex/reflex response; Phebus and another deputy were trying to control a grounded suspect (who was shirtless, sweaty, and… well, I'm sure you're familiar with that kind of citizen), when his homey ran up shouting and gesticulating. Phebus drew and warned him away; grounded suspect tried to make a break for it while retard homey refused to back off… fill in the blanks.

Would this have happened with a "standard" Glock trigger? Perhaps. But the thing is, plaintiff's attorneys are getting more and more knowledgeable, daily, about guns in general… and ANY modifications to stock factory specs paints a big bullseye on any incident.

Spare me any comments about this guy's background, etc. Its irrelevant here. He was not true-billed because it was quite evident to all witnesses; even the belligerent ones; that he did NOT intend to shoot the kid deliberately.

This became an equipment issue… and that was the point I was trying to make. Intentions count for NOTHING anymore; its all about perception.

http://www.wafb.com/story/19357477/i...old-the-future

Looks like training is the major contributing factor followed closely by a good helping of doing stupid modifications to guns that don't need them.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    We have a POW program - Fed Agency with 18,000 officers and agents so it is workable.

We have a list of approved POW's. All guns on the list are guns which were either prior agency issued guns or passed agency testing but did not win the contract.

All POWs must be armorer inspected. All semi autos must have steel night sights - there is some latitude as long as they have tritium both front and rear. An officer's primary and secondary guns must be the same trigger / action type. Other than sights, the only modifications allowed are items which are considered "factory". This generally includes aftermarket parts used on a factory offered model. For example, Hogue G-10 grips are OK on SIGs because SIG offers factory models with them. All mods or parts swaps, even grip changes must be done by an armorer or the factory.

Stippling is not allowed but Grip tape, including Talon grips are OK. Only factory mags and mag parts (base pads, extensions) are authorized.

We currently issue the P229R DAK 40. Testing is underway for transition to a striker fired 9mm TBD.

Right now our options are:

SIG P229R, 226R, 239 40 caliber only. Depending on your branch you may have the option for DA/SA or DAK only.

HK USPC, P2000, P2000sk 40 caliber only - LEM only. Version (V1, V2, V4 etc) is not specified but it must be factory.

Glock 17, 19, 26, and 43. They are the only 9mm option at this time. The 5.5lb factory connector is the minimum. No aftermarket anything for triggers.

S&W J frame .38/.357 revolvers - only .38 ammo is authorized. Field armorers are not trained on revolvers

The J frame and G-43 are only approved for back up and off duty use.

Speculation is once our new 9mm issue weapon is selected and placed in service we will go to all 9mm to streamline logistics. Hopefully the guns which pass testing but don't win the contract will again be POW options.

Town very close to my City an Officer was charged criminally after an OIS. They made a big point of him carrying a 1911 in 45 acp, a larger cartridge than the issued one. He won the criminal case and got slammed in the civil suit. That PD no longer allows anything but issued firearms. Guess you'd be ok carrying a 9mm if your PD issues 40S&W but I'd stay away from adding none stock stuff to the firearm, just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Town very close to my City an Officer was charged criminally after an OIS. They made a big point of him carrying a 1911 in 45 acp, a larger cartridge than the issued one. He won the criminal case and got slammed in the civil suit. That PD no longer allows anything but issued firearms. Guess you'd be ok carrying a 9mm if your PD issues 40S&W but I'd stay away from adding none stock stuff to the firearm, just my two cents.
    My PD allows personally owned 9mm, 40, and .45 pistols. You can even mix and match depending on assignments...

edit - just to add, we still have guys with .357's
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 03-18-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    VDMSR.com

Larger caliber- " You just wanted to hurt my client more"

Mag extension - " You just wanted to have more bullets to shoot at my client"

Aftermarket sights- " You just wanted to be able to aim better to shoot my client and kill him"

Magwell- " You just wanted to be able to reload faster because you just couldn't wait to shoot my client more"

And on and on and on

That shit gets old

We allow personally owned weapons as long as they are on the approved list but they have to be DOA with exception of 1911s (Colt, Springfield, and Kimber). If you want to carry a 1911 you have to go through a two day 1911 class where you get to shoots lots of free 45ACP.

All POW have to be inspected before they can be carried on duty and they must be inspected annually.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    If you want to carry a 1911 you have to go through a two day 1911 class where you get to shoots lots of free 45ACP.
    Oh my god how unbearable lol

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat View Post
    Oh my god how unbearable lol
    It was terrible I tell you. The horror...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List