Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Personally Owned Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    because I ended up in a huge debate over our UoF policy with one of them during our last on site.
    That's worse than reading the YouTube comments....I feel for you.

And all CALEA really says is that you have to address things with a policy, they don't mandate what the policy says. The CALEA argument is either an ignorant administration, or an admin who is hiding behind the accreditation. CALEA is a huge waste of money, but it's great for Chiefly types to get expenses paid vacations to other cities to 'inspect' them.

But if you watch the "Why CALEA" video, it can apparently protect you from all lawsuits and hurricanes. So there's that.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    That gave me a really could laugh
    How did I miss this ^^^? L.....O......L!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    T

In their Factory Armorer class glock recommends against the minus connector for LE use. Blue label G34/35 come with the standard connector unless it is an agency purchase and the agency specifically requests the minus connector in writing on agency letterhead.

There was an accidental shooting at the end of a pursuit in Tomball Texas a few years back. The officer had replaced the stock connector in his Glock 21 with a minus connector. He didn't make any crazy modifications and was not criminally charged. However, during the civil suit the fact that he had swapped the connector and that Glock does not recommend the minus connector for law-enforcement duty use was an issue. If you do a Google search, Mas Ayoob did a write up on this case for American handgun or magazine.
    More correctly termed an ND. For reference, the Mas Ayoob article is here: http://americanhandgunner.com/uninte...anes-incident/

And what is important or unimportant according to CALEA is dependent on who your evaluators are. Two different evaluators can interpret their own requirements different ways.

Re CALEA...it sucks balls. IMO, its a huge waste of money. Allegedly its why we arent allowed to carry personally owned weapons on-duty...even though our policy states we can with approval from the Chief. Ive tried that and was denied.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Re CALEA...it sucks balls. IMO, its a huge waste of money. Allegedly its why we arent allowed to carry personally owned weapons on-duty...even though our policy states we can with approval from the Chief. Ive tried that and was denied.
    ACA (American Correctional Association) is who we are accredited with. Same issue with no personal weapons on duty. The agency FA instructors are meeting early next month to discuss our firearms policy. Personally owned BUGS will be brought up. I am thinking that our court and civil enforcement folks would be exempt...

Site Supporter
    CALEA is an excuse frequently used by police administrators who dislike a proposal or don't want to do the work to craft a well-written policy. I will give our FOP credit for purchasing a copy of the CALEA standards to prevent any hijinks. In fairness to our administration, they actually seem to understand the CALEA guidelines and don't pull that type of crap.

User Tag List