Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 156: F.A.S.T.

G17 Gen4, JRC AIWB-CDA-II, JM AIWB-SPMP, T-shirt, concealed

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    FAST: 6.56 COLD CLEAN
    1.94 draw
    3.05 reload

Fitting that my first fast in a month and a half...my first FAST since TLG passed...my first FAST since changing training philosophies...would be my first cold, clean sub-7s FAST. Also fitting that I would decide not to video tape it .

Mr_White's draw advice really showed here. I stopped myself before going into it; made sure I was going to execute my new, faster draw, as practiced in dryfire; made sure I had NPOA; made sure I had a good, neutral, relaxed starting stance; and made sure I had the right mindset.

eyemahm says I hung out at extension for a long time. "A whole second," he exaggerated. That was music to my ears, because it means I have a lot more time to save on it from reps as I grow to see what I need to see faster and make the index more precise.

Now I just need to apply the same advice to my reloads and I'll be in a really pride-worthy place. Haven't had enough time to focus on those in dryfire lately, but I'll get to it.

Attachment 7075

That is great to see, dove!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Week 156: F.A.S.T.

Glad I was able to get this in before the thread closed.

HK P2000 V2 LEM
    Safariland OWB Holster
    Kytex Mag Pouches
    Jacket concealment for Run 1, I took it off after that because I was getting warm.

Run 1: 2.34/1.19/3.52/.34/.35/.39 (8.13) Dropped one shot to the 8 inch Circle - 9.13 with penalty
    Run 2: 2.14/.97/2.8/.4/.35/.38 (7.04) Clean but .5 second penalty for no concealment on the holster - 7.54 total
    Run 3: 1.96/1.19/2.83/.63/.54/.46 Dropped one shot to the circle (it went into the 3x5) 9.11 including 1.5 penalty seconds.

I ran the first run on an IDPA target with a 3x5 card that I had already been using. It was pretty shredded so I put up a PF target for the last 2. I'm a little disappointed that only one run was clean. I need to spend some more time on pairs to the 3x5 to speed up that second shot. I've been working the reloads in dry fire and I think I'll be able to speed those up using my middle finger rather than my trigger finger on the mag release.

Last edited by Mitch; 04-09-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    This was my first time trying this drill ... And it was pitiful. Really. I hit the 3x5 once.
    Weapon: SIG SP2022 9mm
    Starting position: concealed under long-sleeved tshirt
    Type of holster: custom leather OWB
    Time and hits for string 1: 15.12, +4 penalty for missing both 3x5 = 19.12
    Time and hits for string 2: 12.212, +4 penalty for missing both 3x5 = 16.212
    Time and hits for string 3: 11.08, +2 penalty for missing one 3x5 = 13.08
    Aggregate score: 48.412
    Anything you noticed: Besides that this is hard, and I suck? At least I didn't drop any out of the circle.

Starting position concealed under untucked button up shirt
    Type of holster RC VG2
    time and hits string 1 7.89 -1 body total 8.89
    Time and hits string 2 9.53 -1 3x5 total 11.53
    Time and hits string 3 7.88 clean
    Aggregate score 28.30

Things I noticed- If I want to do something different then what I normally do I need to give it more than one day of dry practice.
    The second run was a disaster, I secured the VG2's loop to the outside part of my wilderness instructor belt( the Part that just velcros onto the belt). So when I drew the Velcro came off and I ended up using my support hand to pop off the VG2. This was the first time I have ran AWIB in a Long time and It was obvious that if I ever go back to AWIB that It will take a little bit of an adjustment period.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  26.4 KB

Busted out the P07 today since I haven't shot it for awhile (or anything else for that matter). Not happy with the results. P07 carried aiwb in a JMCK aiwb rig under a polo shirt.

6.49+3
    6.49+1
    6.04 clean
    Total 23.02

At the end of the session I did some more FASTest and got down in the 5's clean like I can normally do. Need to get out more. I've found that the dot is less forgiving of missing practice than straight iron sights.
    Last edited by Lon; 04-18-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Pistol: Glock 17
    Start Position: Concealed AIWB
    Type of Holster: Raven Eidolon
    Time/Hits for 1st Attempt: 8.93/-1H = 10.93
    Time/Hits for 2nd Attempt: 7.95/clean
    Time/Hits for 3rd Attempt: 6.84/-1H = 8.84
    Aggregate Score (w/penalties): 27.72

Shot cold. First live fire from concealment in probably nine months, first live fire from the holster in six months. Shameful, I know. First time shooting the gun since installing a new front sight, changing the slide release, and getting a grip reduction.

Disappointed with the two low shots from the draw. Need to practice draws to 3x5/dots. Interesting that splits on body shots during the first run were .47, .55, .43, and those shots would've easily fit on a 3x5, while splits on the 3x5 were 0.80+.

The new slide release was extremely stiff to operate: first run, I was like WTF the slide didn't close, finally ended up racking it with my support hand...second run, the second attempt to use the slide release succeeded...third run I just racked it right away. Reloads accounted for most of the time difference between runs, though I also picked up the pace on body shots. The new slide release puts the lever in a much better position for me, so hopefully a few swipes with a file will have that sorted.

The indoor range requires use of their own targets, so I used a stencil to make a 3x5. The 8 ring is 8". Only shots on the 3x5 were pasted between runs.

User Tag List