Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Secret Service Issues Solicitation For a New Service Rifle

Site Supporter

US Secret Service Issues Solicitation For a New Service Rifle

US Secret Service Issues Solicitation For a New Service Rifle

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ion-for-rifle/

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/03/14...ce=twitterfeed

The United States Secret Service has released a requirement for a new rifle. The United States Secret Service has released a requirement for a new rifle. They plan to hold an industry day April 4th, 2016 to discuss the requirement in depth with rifle manufacturers. The planned contract life is a minimum of five years and 10,000 rifles with 10 magazines each.

Based on discussions with individuals close to the requirement and documentation obtained by SSD, it seems that they are seeking a 5.56 NATO replacement for the MP-5.

Ultimately, there’s nothing shocking in the requirement. They want a 3MOA carbine with a 10-12″ barrel capable of 20k Rounds. Word is, offerers get bonus points for an adjustable gas block and folding stock.

From the Draft Statement of Work:

Dimensional Requirements:
    Height (no taller than, w/o accessories) 8.5 inches

Weight (no heavier than, w/o accessories) 7.5 pounds

O/A Length (no longer than, w/stock fully extended) 34 inches

Barrel length (min – max)
    10-12 inches

Rifling (5.56)
    1 turn in 7 inch twist RH

The barrel shall have a minimum service life of 20,000 rounds.

Operating System
    The weapon shall utilize a direct-impingement gas-operated system or a short-stroke gas piston system.

Mode of Fire.
    The weapon shall be selective fire, i.e. semi-automatic and full automatic. A “burst limiter” in the full-automatic mode is not acceptable.

Fire Selector.
    The fire control selector shall be ambidextrous in design, and be a single lever paddle mounted on the side of the receiver, adjacent to the rear pistol grip, thereby not requiring the shooter to significantly break their firing grip when actuating.

The fire control selector shall be a rotary type and shall have three positions; safe, semi-automatic and automatic and shall rotate manually without binding from one position to another.

While the rifle must have a Picatinny compatible free float rail, the requirements for the trigger, butt stock, pistol grip and charging handle are all very straight forward. It sounds like Mil-Spec is just fine. Backup Iron Sights must be compatible with the Aimpoint T-2.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...tabmode=list&=

This is interesting. ICE and the FBI have already begun transitioning to 11.5" M-4's from 14.5 and 16" guns. USSS had a requirement for piston M-4 type rifles a few years ago. At one time they used the FN P-90 in addition to the MP-5, and M-4's.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-17-2016 at 11:19 PM.

You would think that these various agencies would be able to get together and come up with a standard rifle/carbine spec. I can't imagine that the general purpose agent for ATF, FBI, SS, Postal Inspector, etc. has that varied a need in a carbine that they all need to have separate snowflake guns.

Not to mention, I can't imagine what any of these agencies couldn't get done with a 6933, free-float handguard, and 2 MOA Aimpoint. Add a magnifier on a qd/tilt mount because everyone wants to be a sniper.

They've got SR16s now, I bet that's what they end up with again.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    They've got SR16s now, I bet that's what they end up with again.
    Does everyone have them or just CAT?

With the Mod1 handguard, full picatinny? For the new guns?

It frankly sounds like that's the way the spec is written to favor.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Does everyone have them or just CAT?
    I think everyone who rates a rifle but I don't know for sure and no idea on the rest of your questions, sorry. I'll let you know if I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think everyone who rates a rifle but I don't know for sure and no idea on the rest of your questions, sorry. I'll let you know if I find out.
    I think I might know someone I can ping as well.

But, my original point still stands, it seems that pretty much all Fed LE could just go with the SR15, SR16 when FA is warranted, and be done well served.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not to mention, I can't imagine what any of these agencies couldn't get done with a 6933, free-float handguard, and 2 MOA Aimpoint. Add a magnifier on a qd/tilt mount because everyone wants to be a sniper.
    There is so much truth and useful common sense in this statement that you're going to get banned from the special snowflake gun world, Rob. While teaching the Armorer's Courses, I push the 6933 (and really recommend the semiauto FCG) and the 6920 as guns you can take care of business with at a very attractive price.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    What is the reasoning for full auto? I don't see a scenario where it is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    There is so much truth and useful common sense in this statement that you're going to get banned from the special snowflake gun world, Rob.
    Something it took me a long time to learn was that the gun market is driven more by emotion than a women's book club.

it took me even longer to learn that "professionals" are no less guilty of this than hobbyists.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    What is the reasoning for full auto? I don't see a scenario where it is useful.
    I'll throw a few out there...

- Suppressing certain threat areas while maneuvering.

- Making you appear to be a bigger force than you actually are.

USSS works worldwide. They're not always bound to the same standards that domestic LE have in regards to liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

User Tag List