Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions over assault weapon used by Mesa officer facing murder charge

Hammertime
    8 million dollar settlement to widow:

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2022/n...-settles-suit/

"
    PHOENIX — The widow of an unarmed Texas man fatally shot by police outside his suburban Phoenix hotel room in 2016 has agreed to settle her wrongful death lawsuit.
    A notice of settlement filed Tuesday in federal court in Arizona shows that Laney Sweet, the wife of Daniel Shaver, and her two children will receive $8 million from the city of Mesa.
    A probate court has approved the settlement’s terms and appointed a temporary conservator.
    In exchange, all of Sweet's legal claims will be dismissed with prejudice.
    In a statement released by her attorneys, Sweet acknowledged the settlement will help her family financially. But “no amount of money can undo the transgressions that cruelly removed Daniel from his family's lives forever.""

That was an expensive dust cover.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    This is a non issue.
    This didn't age well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    8 million dollar settlement to widow:

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2022/n...-settles-suit/
    Taking a break from social media.

Two towns away from me a Sergeant shot a stolen car suspect in the jaw with his authorized but personally owned 45acp while on duty. The State prosecutor made an issue out of him carrying a larger caliber (with a lighter trigger pull) than the issued duty weapon. He was eventually criminally charged, and the suspect brought a civil tort against him. The prosecutor had magazine articles with phrases like "man stopper" which he presented to the jury, referring to the 45acp that the sergeant used. This was an apparent effort to predispose his mindset and cast doubt on his UOF. The sergeant was acquitted on the criminal charges but ruined in the civil suit. Settlement found against him. Don't give anyone, anything to cast doubt on your UOF!

Site Supporter
    The settlement doesn't surprise me. If I recall correctly, the decedent was not guilty of anything but aggravated drunken stupidity. Truth be told, I suspect the complex verbal commands confused me, I suspect they were even more confusing to the decedents and the other subjects. While I very much believe in following high risk protocols, I think some deviation might have been in order in this case, given the multiple suspects and the close quarters of the hallway.

If I recall an article (by Mas?) correctly, the idiotic personalization of the officer's dust cover was never admitted at trial, but it cost a substantial amount in legal fees to keep it out of evidence. That's money that could have been better spent.

I'm not familiar with the case Sammy mentions, but I think we need to ready to defend reasonable decisions which may require an attorney knowledgeable about weapons and deadly for and police administrators and, if need be, expert witnesses willing to defend us. While not my choice of sidearm the selection of a .45 1911 pistol is both reasonable and defensible. For instance, FBI SWAT agents were issued .45 Springfield pistols until several years ago. Their transition to the Glock 9mm was not because the .45 was a "man stopper", but because there is little practical difference between 9mm and .45. The 1911 is arguably the most accurate weapon the sergeant could have chosen, indicating his intention to shoot precisely to mitigate risks to the public from stray rounds.

There is a significant difference between selecting or modifying gear for a reason and doing so carelessly or decorating it with offensive stickers (even if we're not offended).

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    There is a significant difference between selecting or modifying gear for a reason and doing so carelessly or decorating it with offensive stickers (even if we're not offended).
    With regard to Sammy's reference, I think the lesson is that any deviation from the standard, issued item carries an element of risk in today's legal climate.

Looked back through the thread, didn't see the video of the shooting posted so I googled it up to add to the record. Links are age restricted, so you have to have a YT account to watch them.

I wonder how much of that 8 million actually goes to the family vs the lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Looked back through the thread, didn't see the video of the shooting posted so I googled it up to add to the record. First link is age restricted, so you have to have a YT account to watch it.

I wonder how much of that 8 million actually goes to the family vs the lawyers.
    Between the agreed upon percentage plus fees I’d be willing to bet the attorneys are getting more.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Looked back through the thread, didn't see the video of the shooting posted so I googled it up to add to the record. Links are age restricted, so you have to have a YT account to watch them.
    Replace the "youtube.com" part of the URL with "yewtu.be" and the need for an account goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Two towns away from me a Sergeant shot a stolen car suspect in the jaw with his authorized but personally owned 45acp while on duty. The State prosecutor made an issue out of him carrying a larger caliber (with a lighter trigger pull) than the issued duty weapon. He was eventually criminally charged, and the suspect brought a civil tort against him. The prosecutor had magazine articles with phrases like "man stopper" which he presented to the jury, referring to the 45acp that the sergeant used. This was an apparent effort to predispose his mindset and cast doubt on his UOF. The sergeant was acquitted on the criminal charges but ruined in the civil suit. Settlement found against him. Don't give anyone, anything to cast doubt on your UOF!
    Calling BS.
    This doesn't sound right to me at all, there must have been more at play than a simple caliber swap or the story didn't get passed on correctly. 45acp is a commonly used duty caliber all across the country by large agencies. I could understand if the gun was something uncommon like a .454 casul or .50ae but 45 no way.

User Tag List