Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: ToddG remembrance thread

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'm still not ready. Seriously.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I wasn't ready to read that.
    It took me a few goes to read that.
    Don't do what I just did and try reading that while waiting in a shop.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    TCinVA just published a really nice piece about Todd:

http://www.gunnuts.net/2016/03/24/goodbye-todd/
    ^^^That...is....awesome!

My heart goes out to all you guys who knew him so well. Be thankful for all the fond memories you have and feel free to share them whenever you can. Those of us who unfortunately did not know him never get tired of hearing about the joyous friendships you all had with him.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Nice piece, TC!!!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I do not have any eloquence in me for something like this.

I owe Todd quite a bit. His example encouraged me to get off the downward spiral of slowly declining training standards that came with too long hours driving the desk for many years. The debates sparked here and on the range drove me to really understand the history and evolution of a number of techniques I and I am sure others had long taken for granted. In the end, it also encouraged me to get off the desk and back in the field where I belonged.

Shooting the KSTG when it launched was the first match competition I had attended in more than a decade. I still regret its discontinuation, and all the moreso without Todd there to guide it. The matches forced me to face some hard truths of my own shortcomings, and as a result changed my CONUS EDC and training cycles back to the same professional standard I expected of myself overseas. as the years have changed the domestic threat calculus I remain grateful for the wakeup call of measured performance.

Without Todd I might not have trained with Ernst, or with Craig. I would not know a batch of superior men (and a few awesome women) who provided their own examples of where one could and should be in one's measured competence.

I owe him also for discussions of mythology in the context of tradecraft. Would that we could on his behalf repeat the mission of the einherjar. But it is bittersweet that this tale he taught me tells us of the futility of such hopes, and asks us to make peace with accepting the legacy of the warrior as he lived and as he fell.

I was overseas when this was announced, and I had way too much time to think about it in transit while not able to comment. At the same time, the enforced silence has not made this post any easier. I regret deeply that the last time I saw him we had talked about grabbing lunch to catch up after some years time, but my pace of travel (and my own injury, entirely trival in comparison to the burden he carried) meant that this was put off for a future day that now cannot come; and for this I am the poorer in companionship.

There is never enough time, but while life may be short for us all the art is a discipline of long years. Todd gave of himself on behalf of many of us for quite many of these years, and for this and so many other things I say thank you.

TCinVA just published a really nice piece about Todd:

http://www.gunnuts.net/2016/03/24/goodbye-todd/
    Well struck.

Knew Todd through the forums going back to the Beretta-L in 2000. I talked to him on the phone a few times, met him at SHOT show years ago, bought a Sig from him, benefited from his posts, blogs, and videos. Wish I could have attended a memorial service for him. I will think of him as my life continues on this earth and I do hope that I get to meet him again.

God bless,
    David

My introduction to Todd came at the time that I was realizing that collecting pistols did not make you a shooter. His endurance tests caught my attention due to the detail he reported for round counts, problems, and lessons learned. Within those tests were reports on personal improvement with measurable standards and drills. Wow, a light bulb went off for me, you can track your performance! I learned what a timer was and started going to the range with an actual plan. At the time P-T and P-F came about I was admittedly a Todd fan boy, I know he'd probably think that was dumb but he was one of the first people that pointed me in the right direction and I could relate to him as a regular guy. In September 2011 I attended AFHF as my first legit training class. It made a huge impression on me. Todd's instruction was great, he seemed to know exactly what to tell me when I was having an issue. I took so many notes and commonly revert back to them even years later. After class concluded, a few of us stuck around for a couple hours to shoot a bit more. I fondly remember running head to head against Todd on the plate rack. He was shooting WHO while I was shooting standard strong side supported....and I was getting smoked. I enjoyed Todd's interaction on the forum. He quickly responded to PMs and was a big source of advice when my department was going through a pistol selection that I got voluntold to lead. I had an opportunity to see Todd again this past September at an Ernest Langdon class. It was quite a pleasant surprise to be in a class with Todd, SLG, and TC. Those are three guys, along with Ernest, that I could just listen to for hours and soak up their knowledge on all things shooting. Todd in my opinion was shooting great, especially for a guy going through the rigors of his illness. I had a chance to enjoy a meal after class, meet LL, and listen to hilarious stories told by Todd. I don't think I said much other than repeatedly laughing. I'm sure I'm rambling, I didn't know Todd as well as many of you did but I feel that he was a genuine, caring person. He made a huge impression on me in regards to my shooting performance and how I considered things like guns and gear. I will miss his interaction on P-F and his posts on P-T. As others have already said, I think the shooting community has suffered a tremendous loss.

RIP Todd

Let's all watch Archer tonight for Todd. If you're like me and don't have cable/satellite you can catch it on Amazon tomorrow.

ETA: Fuck. I just realized for all you guys in EST, it's not only already on, it's almost over. If you missed it, there's always Amazon/iTunes/etc.
    I was at work, but HH6 recorded it for me.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Fuck Cancer.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List