Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: ToddG remembrance thread

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    If you have any pictures of Todd you would like to share beyond the ones already in the thread, please post them in the following thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....u-have-of-Todd

...or contact me through the forum and let me know. Todd's family has asked me to collect photos for his upcoming memorial service.
    3/15/2016

Todd indirectly helped to keep the sun off my head on a hike in the Superstition Mountains on Wednesday:

Name:  20160316_104421.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  26.5 KB

Thanks for the hat, Todd! I'll be wearing it at a class on Saturday in your memory.

Name:  ARM_3474.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  54.7 KB

Here's one he was fond of too.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to have its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." - Sir William Francis Butler

Name:  ARM_3379.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  34.7 KB

This is how I always felt when shooting with Todd... under his watchful eye.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to have its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." - Sir William Francis Butler

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It was definitely a great experience.

I learned a lot from Todd, and had a lot of great times with him. And through him I've been introduced to a whole bunch of truly awesome people over the years. I can't thank him enough for that.
    This. Todd was really fond of the idea that your friends can either bring you up or pull you down to their level. This was often said in his usual self-deprecating manner to show his appreciation for his friends. For me, I feel like Todd was a friend who was always pulling me up. At first, just as a shooting partner, who for some reason befriended a young law student and middling pistol shooter when I had little to offer him in return for the hours we spent at the range together or just letting me pick his brain about pistol shooting.

As others in this thread have noted, he was one of the most helpful people in the shooting industry. No matter if you were a student in his class or just someone sharing some range time with him, he really cared about helping you become a better pistol shooter. This quality, beyond his very high level of skill or vast knowledge of shooting mechanics, made him an excellent teacher of the pistol.

He was also the most loyal and honest friend anyone could ask for. The Memphis class discussed in this thread is an excellent example of his character. How many instructors, let alone attorneys, would immediately make a public post about a gun-shot injury in a class they taught? But, Todd didn't hesitate to make that post because it was the right thing to do.

These qualities are likely what drew so many other good people to him. I don't think there is anyone who knew Todd well who can't count a number of good friends they would not know but for Todd.

I can't express how thankful that I am that he was my friend. I miss him dearly.

I never met Todd, but felt like I knew him--at least his character. I think I first became aware of him years ago in the early days of IDPA, on an IDPA email thread (listserve?). He was always so well though out, and just decent. Years later his name pops in my head for some reason and I google him, landing here. This forum speaks to the TLG difference. High quality people (I can't believe some of the people I get to read and learn from here), high quality discussion, and a profound sense of decency. It all fits.

I regret never getting to train with him, but I will always appreciate what I have learned from him. He did it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I can't add anything that has not been said already. I only knew him through his writings and postings. What a loss, and what a battle he fought. My thoughts and prayers to Todd's family and friends.

How is Todd's family doing? Does anybody know? Hope they're holding up okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    How is Todd's family doing? Hope they're holding up okay.
    I think we're all hoping for that. It can't be easy, but on the other hand, he fought cancer for a lot of years. There's probably some relief in knowing he's not suffering anymore. It was that sort of bittersweet situation when my aunt passed away last fall. She had similarly fought cancer for many years, and while the whole family felt the loss keenly, we also knew that her pain was over. Even less than a year later, we're remembering her for who she was and how she lived more than the pain of losing her. Hopefully Todd's family can have that soon. Given the existence of the other thread requesting pictures, I assume they're aware of the outpouring of love and support from this community, and that must help at least a little.

For whatever reason, I can't sleep. For whatever reason, the passing of Todd is still weighing heavy on my heart. Cancer has touched my immediate family on more than one occasion, and has stolen from me years and countless memories. I'm not an emotional guy, my wife has caused me to cry once, joyfully when our daughter was born. She still talks about it with friends and family, boasting that she is the only one capable of bringing me to tears. As I sit here posted up in the dark, staring out the back of our house passing time as overwatch for our outside cats, all I can think about is smoking a coyote and the passing of TLG. Tears, streaming down my face in utter silence, I'm reminded how much I hate cancer and how cold and ruthless it is. I do my best not to "hate" anything, as I think it's such a waste of time and energy to feel that negatively about anything. I fucking hate cancer.

I will find a way to be better today. Better today than I was yesterday. As a husband, father, and human being. Tomorrow is not promised, and the passing of Todd is a painful reminder of that.

Rampage dudes.
    Last edited by StraitR; 03-20-2016 at 04:03 AM.

User Tag List