Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: ToddG remembrance thread

I honestly regret taking time off from this site (well... forums in general), because it probably means I lost a lot of chances to interact and correspond with Todd while he was here.

:/
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

RIP Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I never met Mr. Green, or corresponded with him, but regardless he's been a significant influence on me, both as a student and instructor. I first learned of pistol-training.com from a friend, when he found out I was likely to be next in line to be a FI at our office. Then I started reading his blog posts, and two days later had read every single one. The Memphis AAR immediately influenced me, and as soon I started "working the line" for quals/training, I incorporated those ideas into the briefing for the day. Very little was said about it prior to that, and when asked why I do that I would email the student or instructor who asked this link.

I've been struggling to think of something meaningful to write.

I am very saddened by his death. I knew that Todd had been fighting cancer for many years. He fought harder and more bravely than anyone I have ever known. When Chemotherapy caused the bones in one of his arms to deteriorate or break he had them replaced with titanium and had to learn to shoot from square one. A lesser person would have thrown in the towel long ago.

I first took notice of him when I read his posts on M4carbine.net. They were some of the most well thought out and detailed posts that I have ever encountered online and I really liked most of what he said. I really admired the the way he logically defended his beliefs and positions. I sent him a PM to that effect. This was before he started teaching publicly. I later took his class and did an article on it for SWAT Magazine.

Words are really inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    He is missed, and will continue to be missed.

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/Massa...16/a-sad-week/
    Class act. Thank you, Mas.

I remember showing up to my first IDPA match at the NRA range winter of 2007-2008, and seeing Todd introduce Larry Vickers to the range staff. Larry was in town and Todd convinced him to shoot the match (with borrowed gear IIRC). There was considerable laughter when the guy running sign-in asked to see Larry's IDPA membership card.

I saw Todd lots at the NRA range in 2008, and ultimately worked up the nerve to sign up for instruction from him (at the time he was still doing one-on-one lessons), I wanted to get sorted out prior to a handgun class I was taking with Vickers in the fall of 2008 in southern VA. Todd got me squared away, and even came down to the class to take pictures.

I especially remember how kind and encouraging he was with my kids when they were learning to shoot (me doing my best to pass down what I was taught by him). They enjoyed joking with Todd, and of course they received lots of swag (hats, log books, signed stuff from Julie G., etc.). Todd even let my daughter design a pistol-training shirt to her liking; she still wears it to school with pride

As much as Todd influenced me in shooting sports, I managed to have minor input back when he was running his 100k round torture test on the S&W MP. At the time there was a thread on another forum where he was looking for ideas on how/where to logo the pistol. I made a quick photoshop and he ran with it (turns out only one was made this way).

I'm grateful to have benefited from his training, and friendship - heck, I think we all are...

We'll miss you Todd, ja mata

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    3/15/2016

Last night with the training group we had a shooting/training memorial to TLG. I hope he'd like what we did, which was to focus on on-demand, guaranteed hits, in drills and contests that I know he liked or think he would have liked. As much as he and I might have sparred over the term 'guaranteed', I think we are all in fairly close agreement about on-demand performance being what ultimately matters, even if we have some different paths in getting there.

We started out by shooting a cold, on-demand FAST individually. When it was my turn, I did my damndest to 'guarantee the hits.' It was some stingy shooting for sure, but there was no way I was going to miss any of those shots when I was shooting a cold FAST in a bit of pressure situation and as a tribute to TLG.

Here was my run (4.43: 1.36, .42 / 1.83 / .29, .27, .26):

We did a "21 drill salute" to TLG, practicing shooting Bill Drills to 8" circles at 7 yards, and pairs to the 3x5 at 7 yards, while I tried to move around and help tune everyone up.

Then we had all ten members of the training group shoot an untimed FAST all together:

After that, we did a version of the Action vs. Reaction drill. Two shooters next to each other with identical target arrays - one USPSA target at 7 yards and two bowling pins at 15 yards. Actor moves first, reactor only moves upon seeing the actor initiate. Whoever had both pins down and two As in the paper target first, won the race. Short and sweet.

Last thing we did was an outlaw match-type stage that forced the shooter into a somewhat confined area among a bunch of no-shoots, find several bowling pins partially hidden behind barrels and tarps downrange at about 15-18 yards and knock down all the pins - without muzzling the no-shoots. I was very pleased to not have to issue any penalties to anyone for muzzling the no-shoots.

I hope you would have enjoyed what we did, TLG! Many of us have come to enjoy the virtues of performance-based shooting, because of you. You have had a powerful influence over many of us. We will not forget you, and your ideas will live on.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I think he would have gotten a big kick out of that. Nicely done!
    3/15/2016

How could I miss this the past two days?
    RIP Todd mi amigo... you will be missed and remembered.

I can only echo what many others have said: I never met the man and sadly never got to learn from him in person, but his posts, pistol-training, and pistol-forum have profoundly affected the way I go about all things shooting related. Deepest condolences to his friends and loved ones

User Tag List