Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI solicitation progress?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Hell, they had to go through this gigantic circle jerk rather than just ask Glock for a 9mm version of what they already had with a few tweaks!
    My understanding is the FBI initially wanted to simply buy Gen 4 19s and 17s off the existing contract. They were already buying 9mm Glocks for agents who had difficulty with .40 caliber.

Apparently this was protested as somehow violating Federal Acquisition Regulations, hence the requirement for an RFI and testing.

Keep in mind the national/international scale of the FBI. I had an agent come through once wanting 4 mag extensions for his G26 backup/off duty. I asked why he didn't just use 19 or 17 mags? "We are only authorized to use the OEM 26 mag or the OEM mag with the OEM +2 extension".
    I've shot their COF before. The requirement to use the 10/12 round mags is just for the PQC. For reloads on the street on/off duty they can carry G17/19 mags and would be stupid not to IMO. They used to be allowed to reload baby Glocks with full size mags during the PQC but that was verboten several years back.

Also, every handgun their agents buy for duty use must have at least 4 mags. They can't send in a gun for PM without them.

Hell, they had to go through this gigantic circle jerk rather than just ask Glock for a 9mm version of what they already had with a few tweaks!
    They also wanted to have a contract in place. There hadn't been one in several years. It was also a great opportunity to force those changes and get a gun that has the newest, best technology and is configured how they want. To ask Glock to modify their design otherwise would have been a challenge. Now they have a duty gun that has the features they want and has been vetted with their new duty ammo.

FBI solicitation progress?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I've shot their COF before. The requirement to use the 10/12 round mags is just for the PQC. For reloads on the street on/off duty they can carry G17/19 mags and would be stupid not to IMO. They used to be allowed to reload baby Glocks with full size mags during the PQC but that was verboten several years back.

Also, every handgun their agents buy for duty use must have at least 4 mags. They can't send in a gun for PM without them.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    They also wanted to have a contract in place. There hadn't been one in several years. It was also a great opportunity to force those changes and get a gun that has the newest, best technology and is configured how they want. To ask Glock to modify their design otherwise would have been a challenge. Now they have a duty gun that has the features they want and has been vetted with their new duty ammo.
    Very good info. Thanks for straightening it out.
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 07-07-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My agency has national / international scale and 5,000 more armed LEOs than the FBI.

No federal agency of any size pulls everyone back to the academy for transition training for a new handgun. Every Field Office and most smaller resident offices have firearms instructors. This is usually a collateral duty. The local FI's conduct regular qualification and use of force training, in our case, quarterly.

The agency's national firearms and tactics unit sends out a lesson plan and the local FI's conduct the transition training. It's not rocket science and these people are not starting from zero. Transition training from one seni auto, point and pull pistol to another is 4 hours for us - field strip, cleaning, any particular quirks in the manual of arms, shoot the qual course once or twice and a few drills. Done.

Requirements for OEM magazines and other accessories are common. We currently issue SIG 40's but allow personal Glock 9mms. Our guys are only permitted to use OEM mags and / or mag extensions. However, we can use any OEM mag which will fit in the gun. I carry and recommend G17 mags as spares regardless of which Glock 9mm is carried. We have one or two guys who carry an OEM 33 rounder as their spare.

The real issue here is the average FBI agent, like the average LEO from any other agency knows just enough about his agency's firearms policy to stay out of trouble and isn't really interested in knowing any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My understanding is the FBI initially wanted to simply buy Gen 4 19s and 17s off the existing contract. They were already buying 9mm Glocks for agents who had difficulty with .40 caliber.

Apparently this was protested as somehow violating Federal Acquisition Regulations, hence the requirement for an RFI and testing.
    Thank you for correcting me. I was unaware.

While I'm a jaded government official myself, and have been terribly disappointed in the contracting process in some instances, I will have to say that, as procurements go, this one was pretty damned far from a "circle jerk." Having talked with some of the folks involved in the early stages, it seemed like their program was pretty logical and fair. At a certain point, it was a near certainty that the P320 was going to get the nod, but obviously Glock came back hard and fought to win it. Net result - those of us who HATE the finger grooves on G19s will soon have an option to get one without grooves from the factory.

So, the FBI will get new 9mms that fit into existing holsters and use existing mag pouches, at a fair and reasonable price. Other agencies that want to jump onto the contract will be able to piggy-back. I see it as a fairly "win" situation for everyone involved, and I am NOT a GLOCK fan...

FWIW, I think that the FBI failed in an important part of the process. Of all the minute details they specified, they should have specified a design that does not require that you pull the trigger to disassemble the pistol. There are way too many ND's from the field strip requirements inherent in the current Glock design. For a weapon you know you'll be issuing to non-gun people, it seems really short sighted.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Of all the minute details they specified, they should have specified a design that does not require that you pull the trigger to disassemble the pistol. There are way too many ND's from the field strip requirements inherent in the current Glock design.
    I agree to some extent, but, isn't this ultimately a training issue? What is the VERY FIRST STEP in disassembling ANY pistol? Clearing it. I don't know of any pistol in the world that recommends disassembling a loaded weapon. If we would train folks on the basics, this would become a major non-issue, but, again, most LE administrator types are only interested in what costs the least, and keeps the most officers/agents "qualified" with the least effort.

While I would have loved to see GLOCK come out with a reliable, credible method to release the tension on the striker without pulling the trigger, I don't know how they'd do it without a darned near complete re-do of their pistol.

And, again, of all the guns I use on a regular basis, my GLOCKs are the ones I love to hate the most, so, not a fanboi...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    People are fallible, even the bestest most trained people ever remain fallible. Every damn one of us is one moment of inattention away from an oops, firearm, car, cook stove, what have you.

Equipment is designed with that in mind, or should be. It's a sliding scale, and reasonable mind can differ in where to draw it. We can't ignore the human side of the equation as "training issues" some, though.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    FWIW, I think that the FBI failed in an important part of the process. Of all the minute details they specified, they should have specified a design that does not require that you pull the trigger to disassemble the pistol. There are way too many ND's from the field strip requirements inherent in the current Glock design. For a weapon you know you'll be issuing to non-gun people, it seems really short sighted.
    If you are issuing a pistol to non-gun people, then don't issue a glock in the first place. It's safety-in-the-trigger action is not ideal for untrained people.

If they guys are properly trained (as it should be with a glock, anyway) then this is a non issue.

I never had any problem training people on the glock disassembly procedures, they all had it very clearly ingrained in a very short time. The problem is not new shooters or knowledgeable ones, but perhaps the people with training scars and not very well ingrained safety rules.

User Tag List