Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Suppressed Questions

5.56 Suppressed Questions

So, with 41P looming on the horizon, I, like most people, have been fast tracking my NFA purchases. So far I've form 1'd two SBR's (one for 300 blk and one for 5.56) and purchased a Rugged Surge that is currently at Hansohn awaiting pick-up.

The general advice from those more knowledgable about suppressors than I (hat-tip LL) seems to be, get a rimfire suppressor and then one or multiple centerfire rifle suppressors as funds/interests allow. I initially thought, I'll get a rimfire suppressor (about to order a Dead Air Mask), a 30 cal suppressor for the 300 blk and a 5.56 suppressor for the other SBR. Now that I'm to the point of deciding whether to get the 5.56 suppressor, however, I'm beginning to wonder if this is a purchase that makes sense and has a specific use or am I just doing this because I'm caught up in getting NFA purchases in, potentially unnecessary ones, before the 41P deadline?

I realize that part of that question is a personal one for me to decide, but in general, given that 5.56 isn't hearing safe when suppressed, is the juice worth the squeeze? Is this just a fun/novelty item? Do people usually shoot their SBR's suppressed vs unsuppressed?

If relevant, I'm leaning towards an 11.5 or 12.5 length upper to function as a general purpose carbine.

If budget is an issue, just get a 7.62 can and a rimfire can. Sure, there's sometimes a 1-3-ish decibel different between a dedicated 5.56 can and a 7.62 can on a 5.56 host. Does it actually matter? Nope. It's still unsafe for hearing.

Now if you have the money, it's a lot easier to have dedicated, caliber specific cans. Depends on how much you use them. If you're a hunter and like to pop prairie dogs with your 22-ish caliber centerfire but then shoot deer with a 7.62/6.5-ish rifle and do both frequently, get both. If you hit the range with a suppressor a few times a year, hunt a little, and maybe take one-two carbine classes a year, the 7.62 can will serve you well for those tasks.

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, if you do family get togethers or teach newbies, two rimfire cans is something I recommend and I practice what I preach. If you don't have a place for the next few years where you can shoot outdoors and suppressed, wait and see what comes up with regards to new suppressors in say five years when you're in a better geographic location for shooting and spend the saved money on reloading/stacking ammo deep for the upcoming Hillary presidency (sorry, I'm a pessimist).

No matter what decision you arrive at, make it soon. The elections are coming, we are about to lose the Supreme Court.
    #RESIST

5 years ago I'd have told you to get caliber-specific cans. As my experience has grown, my opinion on cans has changed, and the market has evolved, I'd now tell you to get a <7" OAL 7.62 can, the lighter the better, with QD mounts in brake and FH in 5.56 and 7.62. If they sell a FH 7.62 mount with a commie pitch to install on an AK then even better.

I've been leaning towards the Silencerco Omega, but recently shifted my interest to the Thunderbeast Ultra 7. This is in part because I never did like that stupid silencer brake on the end of the Omega, and that TB is claiming <10 oz. now on the QD version of the can.

Rimfire cans are cheap enough I'd probably get two as well. and unless you have a specific need for .17 or .22 magnum, I'd get just about the least expensive take-apart cans you can find. Personally, I already have one .22 non-take-apart can so I'm shopping for a .22 magnum-rated take-apart can right now myself.

Well thankfully the 7.62 suppressor box is checked. I just need to make time to drive down to Hansohn and pick the darn thing up. A rimfire suppressor (or two) definitely makes sense to me even though I don't have any options for shooting it outside right now. They are inexpensive enough that I could justify picking one up for when we move the heck out of Northern Virginia.

Where I begin to hesitate is dropping $1k to have a dedicated suppressor for a 5.56 carbine when I still can't quite figure out what the point of suppressing 5.56 is. Is an 11.5 or 12.5 length barrel with flash hider significantly more obnoxious than a 16" carbine? I'm also slightly worried about gas blow back being a lefty when it comes to long guns.

Appologies on not realizing you already had the .308 can covered. I had no idea what a "rugged surge" was.

Is there some reason you don't want to stick the Surge on a 5.56, or a benefit you think you'll be getting with the 5.56 can that the Surge won't provide?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    W
    Where I begin to hesitate is dropping $1k to have a dedicated suppressor for a 5.56 carbine when I still can't quite figure out what the point of suppressing 5.56 is. Is an 11.5 or 12.5 length barrel with flash hider significantly more obnoxious than a 16" carbine?
    Not that bad.

I'm also slightly worried about gas blow back being a lefty when it comes to long guns.
    Just. Buy. An. Adjustable. Gas. Block.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Appologies on not realizing you already had the .308 can covered. I had no idea what a "rugged surge" was.

Is there some reason you don't want to stick the Surge on a 5.56, or a benefit you think you'll be getting with the 5.56 can that the Surge won't provide?
    No, I have no issues with that at all. Apologies if it was unclear, but my reference to "5.56" has to do with ascertaining the merits, or lack thereof, of suppressing that caliber rather than a reference to, for example, 5.56-only cans. I have no problem in using a 7.62 can on a 5.56 and I got the Surge so that, if I only ended up getting one centerfire rifle can, it would cover all my needs. What I still don't quite understand, and perhaps I'm just missing something, is the general point in suppressing 5.56 as a cartridge. If there's a specific and tangible benefit, I'd then consider purchasing another suppressor to handle that need. If it isn't worth it and then I'd just pop the Surge on there when/if if the occasional need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not that bad.

Just. Buy. An. Adjustable. Gas. Block.
    Got it.

5.56 Suppressed Questions

I'm not that big of a fan of dual usage of suppressors (aside from things like using .300 win mag/.308/.300 BLK) My reasoning is that I shoot a lot (like most of us here do) and have already fouled up suppressors that are dedicated suppressors. Cleaning never entirely removes everything. So, think of it like this:

Your .30 cal suppressor gets extra duty of having a lot more rounds through it. You keep cleaning it or whatever, but eventually, the inside of the suppressor shrinks with time as the "walls" gradually build up. Then, eventually you shoot .308 through it one day and you have an over pressure issue (boyle's law if I remember correctly...feel free to correct me). That over pressure issue destroys your can.

Now, if you shoot a few hundred rounds of .308 and a few hundred of 5.56 every year, this may never be an issue for you.

However, if you take 5 classes and practice a bunch one year and shoot 10k rounds, then shoot a few hundred the next year, then 4K the next year, then a few hundred the next year, then take 3 classes the next year...well...you can see how that will start to wear down on one suppressor designed for just one caliber. But, if you have that kind of schedule, and you add in shooting other calibers during range sessions, then you are really shooting a lot more rounds through it than you realize. Also, you might have a very good warranty, or the company does a great job at fixing/repairing stuff, but they may not even be around 10 years from now, or the parts/availability to repair may not be there.

3 of my favorite suppressors can no longer be repaired by the companies that made them. 2 of those suppressors are technology from only 5-7 years ago. 1 is from about 20 years ago.

You might shoot low round counts, but the suppressor will probably be something you plan on keeping well past a gun or a barrel.

I recommend buying a dedicated suppressor for whatever you shoot most, and then passing on trying to get a one-size-fits all. Unless you shoot .308 really regularly, or 300 BLK regularly, then I would just buy a couple .22 suppressors, a good 9mm can and good 5.56 can (unless you shoot a different rifle caliber more often).
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 03-28-2016 at 02:13 PM.

I like caliber specific "mini" cans.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is POI shift. Moving a can from host to host will likely require the shooter to zero the rifle each time. I got a Surefire 5.56 can several years ago and the POI shift was dramatic - enough that I needed to decide to zero with or without. As nice as it would be to justify my purchase by saying I can use it on several rifles, I will realistically put it on one, zero it and leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I've been leaning towards the Silencerco Omega, but recently shifted my interest to the Thunderbeast Ultra 7. This is in part because I never did like that stupid silencer brake on the end of the Omega, and that TB is claiming <10 oz. now on the QD version of the can.
    Rob, not sure if you know this, but you don't have to get the muzzle brake end cap on the Omega. I ordered mine with a flat end cap and the thread-on mount in place of a QD. Saved me a good chunk of change.
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-28-2016 at 07:08 PM.

User Tag List