Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pa. to Florida auto trip

Site Supporter

Pa. to Florida auto trip

I apologize if this is in the wrong place - please feel free to move it if needed. I am planning on driving from Pa. to Florida this summer and have been trying to research how NOT to be a felon while crossing state lines with my firearms. I can think of no better place to seek the right information.

As near as I can determine: Pa. - ok. Md. - gun locked up in trunk. Va./North Carolina - ok. South Carolina - gun locked up in trunk. Ga./Fla. - ok.

There is no way I would use anybody's opinion given here as fact - I just want to hear if you folks think this sounds good to go - does it?

Much thanks in advance!

Site Supporter
    Do you only have a PA LTCF or do you have an out of state license/permit as well? That will also determine what you need to do in Delaware (if you are taking 95S the whole way).

Site Supporter
    +1 Need to know what permits you have, if any.

Www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Not an attorney...You should also read up on the interstate commerce clause. It is my understanding that you can transport just about anything through any state as long as you do not stop in that state. Obviously, this would mean boxed up, unloaded and not on the hip, but would allow for guns at your final destination that don't meet the standards of other states along the way.

Also, you could make a "round about" trip and take a different route that would add a lot of time, but allow you to drive through free states.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Not an attorney...You should also read up on the interstate commerce clause. It is my understanding that you can transport just about anything through any state as long as you do not stop in that state. Obviously, this would mean boxed up, unloaded and not on the hip, but would allow for guns at your final destination that don't meet the standards of other states along the way.

Also, you could make a "round about" trip and take a different route that would add a lot of time, but allow you to drive through free states.
    I think you meant FOPA, not ICC.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I think you meant FOPA, not ICC.
    Probably. Like I said...not an attorney. Good info. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    +1 Need to know what permits you have, if any.

Www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource.

I have a Concealed Carry License for Pa. only.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I have a Concealed Carry License for Pa. only.
    NC recognizes PA permit. You're good here.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/19be6294...ciprocity.aspx
    Last edited by KeeFus; 03-14-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Delaware has open carry and you should be fine if it is visible such as on the dashboard. However, for the twenty minute ride down 95 it would probably be easier to lock it away before Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob79 View Post
    Delaware has open carry and you should be fine if it is visible such as on the dashboard. However, for the twenty minute ride down 95 it would probably be easier to lock it away before Maryland.
    DE does not accept PA LTCF and I would recommend locking it up.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List