Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: snub load

Not that I know of
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Well.... kitten. Any obvious way to tell which I have?
    Just picked this up from the Cor Bon website:

I don't remember the Barnes bullet having "internal serrations cuts"

Site Supporter
    Eh I was already switching over to critical defense anyway for a little better poa/poi anyway, not sure what I got so excited about.

Eh I was already switching over to critical defense anyway for a little better poa/poi anyway, not sure what I got so excited about.
    All three of the Critical Defense bullets we tried last weekend also failed to expand through denim. They did yaw though, big time.
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    All three of the Critical Defense bullets we tried last weekend also failed to expand through denim. They did yaw though, big time.
    I'll take failure to expand over failure to penetrate. I'm already using wadcutters as my initial load; just looking for something easier to reload with, that is soft enough shooting I can still hit what I'm aiming at.

I'll take failure to expand over failure to penetrate. I'm already using wadcutters as my initial load; just looking for something easier to reload with, that is soft enough shooting I can still hit what I'm aiming at.
    If they shoot to your sights I see no problem with that logic. From my guns the CDs shoot way too low.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by xcop View Post
    I believe the "new" DPX is using CorBon produced bullets and not Barnes.
    Which is why as my old stock of DPX is depleted it's being replaced with the Black Hills loading of the Barnes X bullet. I'll even confess to buying some of the Barnes Tac XPD to satisfy my inner ninja child.

** image from Modway USA **

Although after seeing some of the comments in my "candy-cane" thread maybe I should load my snubby with one each: Barnes X, Wadcutter, Nyclad, Tubular/cookie cutter, and snake shot. //sarcasm
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-15-2016 at 08:27 PM.

To expound on my previous comment regarding shooting DPX into jugs (because I'm an inbred halfwit)... The ones I tried recently were the "NEW and Improved" DPX and about 4 of them did not expand at 15 feet and the last one I tried did not exit the 2nd jug (excessive expansion).

It sounds like it may not be a good choice anymore. I am now instantly leery of any "new and improved" DPX, especially at the prices they charge.

I would carry 148 WC in speed strips for a reload, but the problems with that are obvious.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 03-15-2016 at 08:56 PM.

We are back to Todd's "Trust No One." People change things for the worse without announcing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    To expound on my previous comment regarding shooting DPX into jugs (because I'm an inbred halfwit)... The ones I tried recently were the "NEW and Improved" DPX and about 4 of them did not expand at 15 feet and the last one I tried did not exit the 2nd jug (excessive expansion).

It sounds like it may not be a good choice anymore. I am now instantly leery of any "new and improved" DPX, especially at the prices they charge.

I would carry 148 WC in speed strips for a reload, but the problems with that are obvious.
    I have WCs in the gun, and right now have either 130gr Winchester "Defend" or Federal 158gr RNL in the strips.

The Defend doesn't expand in any of my tests, but it does yaw reliably so far. It tends to exit the block backwards and get caught in the old set of jeans I lay on the back of the block to try and trap bullets that exit. That Federal RNL is rather pointy, and has yawed either a 180 or 360 in the clear gel 100% of the time so far, penetration is in the 15-16" range. This behavior is why I think Ed Lovette noted to me in conversation at his snubby class that the RNL "worked a lot better than people give it credit for".
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List