Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Bad-Shooting Day

Vending Machine Operator

A Bad-Shooting Day

I just got back from an hour-long, pretty low-volume session with the new VP9. Shot 30 rounds Speer Gold Dot 124 +p and 150 rounds Winchester White Box 124 NATO. Sights were the HK LE package tru-dot night sights. I hadn't gone shooting in about 3-4 months and it was a new gun, but even by that standard, I was garbage. Was shooting at 15 and 20 yards and there were whole magazines where I didn't seem to get a single round in area I aimed it. By the end of the day I was getting some good groups but even in those magazines there would be 9-10 rounds off in the ether somewhere.

Last time I went to the range was with my Sig 220 I shot like an ace. I'm not sure if it's a combination of my relative infancy with striker guns, my lack of practice, or needing to play around with the VP9's grip modules more, but man, today I felt like the n00best of the n00b. Rough feeling.

The VP9 ran 100% except one failure to lock back on empty, which I'm nearly certain was my thumb riding on the slide release.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 03-12-2016 at 04:47 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Forget about it. Dry fire as much as you can. Hit the range again as soon as possible with a completely open mind.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    Thanks GJM. Time to scrub the thing and dig up the A-Zooms.

You can kill this thread if you need, just needed a "crap I suck" vent.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I am just pleased it wasn't an LEM trigger as we don't need no stinkin' purse fights here.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We've all had those days. GJM is right, blow it off, do some work, and don't let it cross your mind again. Sometime an off day is just an off day. It's extra frustrating when you haven't/don't get to shoot very often (a situation I think I understand better than GJM ) but don't dwell on it.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I had a day like that in the last year. Shooting my GP100 WC at a local LE competition. It was my first time running a revolver in a comp but I didn't think I would be "off paper at 5 yards while SOM" bad.

I had one of those myself today. Fortunately I forgot the staples for my staple gun at home, so once the gun ran dry no more targets were getting hung.

I took that as the universe telling me to take a hint, go home, and dry fire for a few days.

Don't let it get you down.

Also test some different loads. My VP9 has pretty distinct preferences.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'll make you feel better. Took my son (he's 12) with me Friday night. Originally I was just going to shoot my S&W bodyguard but since he was coming I grabbed my Browning buckmark. He wanted to bring his 10/22 so we grabbed that too. Of course I didn't grab the range bag with the rifle mags. So shooting the buckmark went great (he doesn't have much experience with pistols) till he had an Out of Battery detonation! Turns out the screw holding the topstrap down to the barrel was loose and it allowed the slide to flex putting the extractor behind the shell.

Amazingly he did great considering.

Now to order replacement parts...

Aloha

I had one of those days last week. Forget trigger control, I couldn't hold the sights on target.
    It's amazing how just Three months without shooting messes you up. I was shooting One inch groups at Ten yards the last time I shot, and had been all last summer. Last week I was lucky to get Three inch groups. Timed plate rack from draw was crap. Anytime I sped up I'd miss one. Oh well, I'm off work tomorrow and I'm gonna try it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List