Not much to add to the linked article except for what I mention towards the end, as the protocol that we use for our unit and what we teach to LE follows along very similar concepts. We do a ton of PSD or Dig Pro work in my area as we are a funnel to the Pacific and Asia and everyone comes through here, plus our unique location / isolation often means that the USSS or the Dept of State likes to rely heavily on us, so that keeps us busy with this type of work. For LE in general the traditional concepts taught were a bit different and "un-assing" a vehicle as Chuck mentions was not top priority or taught correctly. Of course world experience has shaped protocols into what they are today, however general LE mentality can be a sticking point, but this is not just relegated to vehicle tactics only.

In 2011 we had a major world conference with 19 level 1 heads of State all in town at the same time and of course all needed motorcades. Some of us within my unit have been fortunate to have had Dig Pro / PSD / vehicle training from many areas of LE, the Military and yes private companies operating worldwide. Plus we have been doing it for a long time and is a big part of our job. So when this conference was to happen, my unit was tasked with taking 250 Officers who were selected to this assignment and over an 18 month period we taught a 3 day Dig Pro class every week. It was interesting as we were teaching Officers who may have been fairly new, to Officers with many years experience in many assignments and we were able to see where their current frame of reference was in regards to vehicles.

One of the major training tools necessary to reinforce certain concepts is to actually shoot from a vehicle including through windows and to shoot up the vehicle itself with targets representing good guys taking incoming fire. I know that for many of us discussing here, this seems like a no brainer for training but it needs to be done at the academy level and reinforced via ongoing training. Unfortunately we all know that this is usually nowhere near the reality of what actually happens in most LE basic training. I often refer to vehicular ballistics as one of those things that needs to be done / seen to be believed so the importance of the concept is ingrained properly and not just a training block that involves only discussion. Barrier / ballistic shoots with a wide array of materials should be conducted at the most basic level of LE training and it is generally not done.