Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: What is your "other" expensive hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Snomobiles are my toys.
    More specifics on the sled, please...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    More specifics on the sled, please...
    My personal sled is a 2013 SkiDoo Summit X 800 163". No engine mods to speak of, just good maintenance. I run a TKI brake protector, Munster bushing savers on the skis, Munster rail braces, ZRP Z-motion rear link.

I'll be picking up an 850 Summit for next year. Probably a 165".

I have a Bearcat Z1 XT for a work sled.

Two 2003 Polaris Edge 700 RMK 151's for loaner sleds.

We do all our own work on the sleds. I've been wrenching on them for 35 years, my son has since he could pick up a wrench. He also worked for a Doo dealer for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My personal sled is a 2013 SkiDoo Summit X 800 163". No engine mods to speak of, just good maintenance. I run a TKI brake protector, Munster bushing savers on the skis, Munster rail braces, ZRP Z-motion rear link.

I'll be picking up an 850 Summit for next year. Probably a 165".
    We have two REVs, a 2007 600SDI Blizzard and a 2005 800 Renegade. My three primary riding friends have a couple of new(er) 800s and a 850. We ride trails in northern lower Michigan, primarily out of the Gaylord area (about 400mi away for us). I like the adventure, but might hit the pause button this year because I am getting a little burned out on always going to the same area, an area that IMO is too big a town.

Site Supporter
    Appropriate this thread popped back up because I've been sucked into a hobby I thought I left behind.

I have long been a "photography enthusiast", up to the point of developing my own 35mm B&W film. I left that behind when it started to be difficult to get color film developed locally and adding a 2nd kid meant my spare bathroom was no longer my own. Fast forward 11 years and something caught my attention about pinhole photography, specifically 4x5 (large format). Then I learned about direct positive paper, caffenol, etc. After realizing I could do this sort of photography at a minimal cost, I jumped in this Summer.

I burned through a box of Harman DPP paper and found I liked the results but not the process. Because paper is soooo slow and pinhole cameras are soooo slow, exposures in bright sunlight were 1-2 minutes long and cloudy days were upwards of 20min at noon. On the longer end, your light could significantly change during exposure, affecting your exposure calcs!

So, it was obvious I had to get a different camera. Right?

I bought a 60s era 4x5 Crown Graphic. Now I'll have better control over composition and exposures. I can still use the same consumables, but I'm certain I'll branch out into film and "proper" development chemistry. I'll stick to scanning and/or contact prints though. I'm not going full retard with a 4x5 enlarger.

My wife was mocking my habit of going all in on a hobby after not engaging in it for ages, then putting it aside for another one. I told her I never fully abandoned them, just worked on them in serial fashion.

Chris

My only other expensive curse hobby is things with sharp edges...the kind that fold, the kind that don't, and the things that help keep them that way. Other than that I'm a pretty normal and rational guy. Well, that might be a bit of a stretch.
    Last edited by blues; 01-11-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I have an expensive two-wheeled addiction.

Current rides are a KTM 450 and Honda Africa Twin...

Not really expensive, but....
    I thought I was through with my bass guitar period, but after helping my wife with the setup on her banjo I realized that I really like doing that kind of work. It’s another outlet for the basic urge to make stuff work better. So I may be getting some basic luthier tools(nut files, fret files, etc.) and teaching myself more. I‘ve seen beginners get discouraged fighting with crappy setups on their instruments and want to be able to help.
    A cheap used bass(Ibanez Mikro) just came in the door and is about to be modified. So far I’ve just done new strings(GHS Balanced Nickels, sound and feel great)and pickups and a full rewire are next. I don’t know how much I’ll actually play it, but it’ll be a fun project.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I've been spending a fair amount on Musicnotes lately. I play piano mostly by ear. Ultimate Guitar is a decent free resource to get a quick chord progression even if it's not always 100% accurate (99% of everything on UG is in E, D, or G even if the original song isn't) but I can dial it in on my own from there. But when I can't quite get it, any time I can spend $5 and add a song to my repertoire forever is money well spent.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 01-11-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    My better half and I are gamers as well. She’s played hellblade some and it’s genuinely disturbing at times. Good looking game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    Haven't posted any screenshots in a long time, but I picked up Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for $5 on the Steam Winter Sale, very impressed, story based linear game, heavy Norse mythology, combat is great, eye and facial animation is amazing, haven't finished yet, just entering Hel, but strong implication the main character is literally insane, the dev suggests headphones for best experience, you basically have voices in your head the entire time. I think the best sound design overall since Dead Space. Sequel was recently announced with music composed by Heilung, I cannot wait, I can't believe how little attention this game received.

These are all in-game, but there is a photo-mode as well.

I collect death and black metal albums/ tapes/CDs.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

User Tag List