Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your "other" expensive hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Being a nerd means that you really like something. You have a passion. Nothing negative about that, even though many other people won't see the value in the thing you find yourself passionate about.

The world needs more passionate people, not fewer.

We're all gun nerds here, anyway.
    Oh, no doubt, but even I occasionally think I'm nuts when look at what should theoretically be a linen closet but is in fact filled with cards. I suppose the same is true of a lot of folks who collect guns, though; they must at least sometimes look into a safe and think "what am I ever going to actually DO with all of these?"

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Travel. Some near, some far, but I spend more to travel than anything else that's discretionary.

We'll usually rent cabins several times through the summer months, go backpacking, visit amusement parks, museums, etc. Fall break is usually a beach trip with a rented condo for a week. Spring break is usually more close to home. Every 2-3 years we travel abroad. Last year we went to Jordan and then Spain. Next year we're going to Spain (different area) and France.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    My other hobby used to be performance cars. Autocrosses, HPDE, etc. Something had to give. Still miss this amazing machine. 1997 turbo, 6 speed.

Specs?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Oh god, pick one...

Offshore boating

Playing in a rock band

Name:  91WeXb1.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  72.4 KB

Italian motorcycles

Owning part of an island

Not even going to get into the expense (or imagery) of maintaining an ex-model as a wife. She's not financially demanding in any direct sense - in fact she makes her own clothes - but the cost of insulating someone like that from the slings and arrows of the world and sufficiently well-supplied with exotic shoes that they'll stay impressively undressed are not to be underestimated.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'll be in my bunk. o.O
    No kidding. Supras from that era were awesome. The competition from Nissan wasn't half bad, either. I miss my father's '95 300ZX, and I'm still mildly bitter that he refused to sell it to me and then later sold it for several grand less than I'd have been happy to give him. Ah well, a reasonable argument could be made that living in MN, I'm better off with the Audi I bought instead and its AWD, traction control, etc, at least in the winter, but the Z was FUN, and there'll always be a place in my heart that remembers it fondly.

Motorcycles

Not super expensive, but I do love Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Nice muskie! I've boated exactly one in about 20 years, but one was enough that a significant portion of my tacklebox will always be devoted to gigantic (for freshwater, anyway) crankbaits and bucktails. I don't get to fish for them a ton, but it's probably the best time I spend with my father, so even if all we get is a follow or two, it's a good day on the water. Last time we were out, he hooked a small-ish one, but it managed to release itself from the end of his line just as I was about to net it for him. That was a frustrating moment!
    Go to Ontario's Lake of The Woods. Your luck will improve dramatically.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I don't have enough money for another hobby, but when I do, it will likely be old Toyota trucks, or LSx F-body shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Specs?
    1997 Toyota Supra with an inline 6 twin turbo. Factory hp was advertised as 320 but I had it dyno'd when I got it and it was still stock. It was making 294 at the wheels which translates closer to 350 at the motor. I never added a front mount intercooler but did install a cold air box and a 4" exhaust. Tein HA coil overs with adjustable dampening and ride height. High performance clutch from horsepowerfreaks.com. Custom wheels ordered from Japan - Work VS, 18x9.5 front with 265's and 18x11 rear with 295's. Went as wide as I could without fender flares or tubbing it. Had to have the fenders rolled though. Lol!

Last edited by El Cid; 03-11-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Very, very cool. How many miles were on it when you sold it?

User Tag List