Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your "other" expensive hobby?

Skiing. Teaching the little Tykes this year

Last edited by EMC; 03-16-2016 at 01:00 PM.

I used to Scuba dive, got certified when I was 12 and went diving almost once a week through high school. Once I moved away from the coast I pretty much gave it up. Currently it is skiing. I can get from my house to Sundance in about 15 minutes. I normally wouldn't consider skiing to be that expensive of a hobby, but when you include the cost of fixing a torn rotator cuff that I got last Saturday....well this ski season is turning out to be much more expensive than I planned on.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I built an $1800 tower last year, my first new build in TWELVE YEARS.

No regrets. When the Samsung Evo SSD and GTX970 fire up I get chills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like Oculus is in your future. High end gaming is my poison. Used to run a group for about 10 years. I always try to stay on the cutting edge of PC hardware because Wyoming is colder than a Witches tata in a brass bra during the TEN months of winter here.

My other hobby is stamp collecting. Unfortunately, it's the gun related kind, so might not count on this thread.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Sounds like Oculus is in your future. High end gaming is my poison. Used to run a group for about 10 years. I always try to stay on the cutting edge of PC hardware because Wyoming is colder than a Witches tata in a brass bra during the TEN months of winter here.

My other hobby is stamp collecting. Unfortunately, it's the gun related kind, so might not count on this thread.
    I'm in WY as well, just try to keep location vague online. So I for sure get you.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I'm in WY as well, just try to keep location vague online. So I for sure get you.

You part of 307LR? If so, PM me. Need to get back into some LR.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

I'm considering the HTC Vive myself. Pre-production reviews and all my gaming podcasts point to the Vive being the superior product and the "screen door" effect of being so close to the display and seeing between the pixels is supposed to be less than the Oculus, at least subjectively. Full support of Valve/Steam is also a huge factor.

I'm not really into the whole VR thing yet but as an alternative to a new monitor. I've been waiting for the Asus PG348Q 34" Ultrawide 100hz but it was announced last January and still waiting, with no signs of release. So I was thinking maybe a headset might provide a nice way of reducing outside distractions that I deal with now.

Virtual Desktop is coming to Steam with full support that a VR headset to be used for anything, native support or not, also compatible with Oculus.

http://www.vrdesktop.net
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/

Waiting for post-launch reviews before I decide what direction to go.
    Last edited by t1tan; 03-16-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    I'm considering the HTC Vive myself. Pre-production reviews and all my gaming podcasts point to the Vive being the superior product and the "screen door" effect of being so close to the display and seeing between the pixels is supposed to be less than the Oculus, at least subjectively. Full support of Valve/Steam is also a huge factor.

I'm not really into the whole VR thing yet but as an alternative to a new monitor. I've been waiting for the Asus PG348Q 34" Ultrawide 100hz but it was announced last January and still waiting, with no signs of release. So I was thinking maybe a headset might provide a nice way of reducing outside distractions that I deal with now.

Virtual Desktop is coming to Steam with full support that a VR headset to be used for anything, native support or not, also compatible with Oculus.

http://www.vrdesktop.net
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/

Waiting for post-launch reviews before I decide what direction to go.

Looks cool I just picked up my first decent monitor. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-313-_-Product. So far looks pretty cool but I am still waiting on my new tower to show up... I was too nervous to do it myself this time but all upgrades/new towers will be done by yours truly.

Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    My first bike was a Gen1 2002 SV650S in silver. Those Gen1's are still to me great looking bikes and very capable.
    Definitely very capable. When you add flatslide carbs, full exhaust, Ohlins rear suspension and Traxxion front, and Brembo/GSXR brakes...I called it perfect. I still miss that bike. What I don't miss is riding it in Atlanta traffic.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Site Supporter
    None of my hobbies are expensive, at least the way I do them.
    Shortly after moving to Texarkana, I bought a sail boat (22ft Venture.) It was used and I got it, the trailer, and a 9 horse kicker for $1,300. Yes, the comma and period are in the right place. It has a usable cabin and we treated it like a floating camper. Guy’s Sailing Page
    I subscribed to a couple of sailing magazines and soon started getting unsolicited sailing related junk mail. One was a place that featured sailing themed jewelry. Things like diamond encrusted anchors, knots, or constellations. I found it amusing that most of the items in the catalogue cost multiples of what I paid for the boat, motor, and trailer.
    Name:  LazyGuy.gif
Views: 484
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20160317_154907.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  34.8 KB
    Here's one of the cameras. I'll post one of the 8x10s next time I dog one out

User Tag List