Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your "other" expensive hobby?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jon volk View Post
    the rods get wobbly around 750whp and the fuel consumption in the datalogs seems to support that.
    What trends in the data lead you to that conclusion?

That all the rods were bent and 80lb injectors were at 80% duty cycle at 60psi of fuel pressure with .6 BSFC. Assumes 12-15% driveline loss.

Last edited by jon volk; 03-18-2016 at 09:13 AM.

That plate generally sums up all of my automotive exploits.

Basics rundown a 95 M3, 5.3L L33 LSx based motor with forged rods/pistons, T56 6 speed and a Precision 7675CEA turbo. The forged motor is new over the winter and should be back on the road in a few weeks. I previously had a stock LM7, the iron block 5.3 workhorse in millions of trucks, but bent all the rods at 18psi and put one through the pan. The internet seems to say the rods get wobbly around 750whp and the fuel consumption in the datalogs seems to support that. The plan is to turn the new motor up to 24+psi on race gas and see what itll make.

Full build thread can be found here. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...LS-Turbo-build
    Awesome.

Thanks for the link!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Search and Rescue. My boxes of bad gear for that are a whole lot bigger than my boxes of bad gun gear.

I think I truthfully have been having more fun with SAR than guns in the last year.

Medicine is another hobby. I'm a paramedic, but I love learning about new topics that aren't really part of my scope of practice.

I had a silver E36 M3 4-door for a few years. No LSx motor but man. . . talk about a perfect little car.

I never should have let that one go.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I had a silver E36 M3 4-door for a few years. No LSx motor but man. . . talk about a perfect little car.

I never should have let that one go.
    As far as pure driving goes, I prefer the E30 chassis and daily drive one. The e36 definitely puts down power a lot better and the extra wheelbase is nice. Its extremely controllable even when it breaks loose in 4rth

Site Supporter
    The plan is to turn the new motor up to 24+psi on race gas and see what itll make.
    Hello!

You're not the first bimmerhead I've heard say that. At nearly 7 ft tall, I'll never know. The E36 was too tight for long drives and there was no way to get me in it with a helmet on, but spirited daily driving was an absolute treat.

As far as pure driving goes, I prefer the E30 chassis and daily drive one. The e36 definitely puts down power a lot better and the extra wheelbase is nice. Its extremely controllable even when it breaks loose in 4rth

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Fishin' for these darn things.

Attachment 6472
    Nice fish. My brother in law is a big musky hunter. We go up to Cass Lake Minnesota and pound for musky.

As for my expensive hobbies, it's been many years since I flew an airplane, we're going to start that back up this year.

Also like cars. When my 3rd child showed up I sold my corvette and have been looking forward to getting another hot rod. Want something I can fit all the kids and the mama bear in.

Gave up motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also add Bourbon, except Bourbon (and TN whiskey) is too important to be called a hobby!

User Tag List