Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Candy-cane a pistol mag? When? Why? Good / Bad / Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don't really worry about 4 legged critters when hiking/camping. I worry about two legged scumbags.

For example: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/12...l?intcmp=hpbt4
    I agree, that's why I think a pressing service semiauto pistols into woods service is so sensible vs a single action .454 Casull for example. I've now only a smidgen of hiking in AK under my belt but the woods there have a way of introducing into one's imagination 800 lb carnivores.

High risk situations with dangerous animals does not appear to be that low a probability event up there. GJM may have had more potentially lethal encounters with game in the wild up there than with criminals. (at least one moose and two grizz/brownies IIRC).
    Last edited by JHC; 03-14-2016 at 07:09 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You shot an '80s Rover? That's just not right.
    Wasnt me but I got there within seconds of it occuring.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Ive heard all the arguments against it, different poa/poi, recoil, legal issues (anyone has yet to show me actual proof of this) and a myriad of other opinions backed up by nothing.

Ive seen hollowpoints not penetrate glass of a vehicle (80s land rover, federal hydroshok) Ive seen house doors and brick corners of buildings eat hollowpoints and not give. Then Ive been told by a few guys who do a lot more work than I will ever what they do, which is exactly what I do, now. Not to pose or copycat but if it works for them, and it works really well for them, itll work here too.
    Kyle Defoor has advocated for "candy-caning" a pistol magazine. Navy SEAL, notable pistol instructor, who could be a better source?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Kyle Defoor has advocated for "candy-caning" a pistol magazine. Navy SEAL, notable pistol instructor, who could be a better source?
    I'm sure that's where VDM got it from. I thought he was kidding, but I guess not.

On a practical level, you probably can't make a decent argument for or against it. If your ammo choice (s) are reliable and hit to the same poa, you're probably fooling yourself either way. Handgun bullets suck at their job. Put one of everything in the gun if you like, all it means is that you will always have the wrong bullet for the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm sure that's where VDM got it from. I thought he was kidding, but I guess not.

On a practical level, you probably can't make a decent argument for or against it. If your ammo choice (s) are reliable and hit to the same poa, you're probably fooling yourself either way. Handgun bullets suck at their job. Put one of everything in the gun if you like, all it means is that you will always have the wrong bullet for the situation.
    Correct, its always its always the wrong tool for the job, you just have to make due with what you have.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Not doubting you, but I'd like to see the source material so I can understand the context more clearly.

Okie John

I tried candy-cane loading once that I recall. I was packing moose meat about 8 miles in a frame pack, dressed in long underwear, boots and carrying a four inch 629. I had the 629 loaded with one 240 JHP and five Garrett whompum loads. My buddy was dressed the same, but carrying a three round .338 bolt action.

As we got to where we had our last load of antlers and the hide, it turned out there was a sow grizzly and two nearly grown cubs there. They were displeased with our presence, and started approaching us. We were yelling at them with little effect. At about 15 yards, we decided that I should shoot a warning shot, since he had only three rounds in his rifle. I still rememberer feeling very small in my long johns, speed loader in my mouth, when I cranked off a round in front of my mom. As the round went off, based on the powder smell, all I could think was I had screwed up and shot a Garrett. The good news was the three bears took off and we got the antlers and fur out of there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Not doubting you, but I'd like to see the source material so I can understand the context more clearly.
    I believe the original post was in the "Ask the SME" section on M4Carbine, which Defoor is no longer a part of and had all his stuff taken down. The original jist, as best I can remember, was the same as voodoo_man's, that FMJ has superior barrier penetration capabilities than hollowpoints; this does not square with most of the advice I've heard. In fact, William Petty specifically called that out during the Vehicle CQB class I took, stating (and demonstrating, to a certain extent) that ball ammo had mediocre barrier penetration when it came to vehicles.

"...ball ammo had mediocre barrier penetration when it came to vehicles."

I have found (hardly an original finding) that my duty load works as well or better than most ball loads for vehicle penetration. Of course, it was designed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    The internet is yours - M4C is where I found the information and the contention.

Although the original source material may have been deleted at his behest, you'll likely find threads debating the subject... just like here haha.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List