Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Candy-cane a pistol mag? When? Why? Good / Bad / Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    The only gun I don't is my duty gun because I have to use issued ammo.

Otherwise, I use a mix of 147 or 158 flatnose, winchester / federal hollow points (hst/ranger) and a random liberty defense and hornady critical defense round mixed in.

You just cannot say with any certainty what situation you will be in and I want the best of all worlds available to me. Hollowpoints don't go through vehicles well, they break up, especially through glass. FMJ does well through those types of situations.

At the end of the day the difference between FMJ and top of the line brand new technology hollowpoint is negligible if you cannot hit a switch.
    Are you joking?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Otherwise, I use a mix of 147 or 158 flatnose, winchester / federal hollow points (hst/ranger) and a random liberty defense and hornady critical defense round mixed in.

You just cannot say with any certainty what situation you will be in and I want the best of all worlds available to me. Hollowpoints don't go through vehicles well, they break up, especially through glass. FMJ does well through those types of situations.

At the end of the day the difference between FMJ and top of the line brand new technology hollowpoint is negligible if you cannot hit a switch.
    Better mix some snake shot in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Better mix some snake oil in there.
    FIFY

You boys are forgetting the new VD man has a good sense of humor.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter

How about a few Glaser Safety slugs ?

I don't think he's kidding, and anyone who does think so spends too much time gaming. I do much of the same, just not in the same magazine. I carry an M4 normally, but I will often carry an AK slung over my back for the really tough targets. 7.62, of course. I'm considering adding an FNC as a third, just for those conditions that are too tough for the m4, but don't warrant the 7.62 mini. All up, it's only about 26# of rifles, and I can dead lift way more than that. the only issue I'm still trying to solve is how many mags for each to carry, and where. I've settled on a basic load for each, so 18 mags is starting to cause me to run out of room on my micronought body.

How do you guys deal with this issue? I know the LSP guys are on the smaller side and it sounds like they regularly carry multiple long guns as well as a few smith and wesson's. Speaking of which, I've thought about adding a couple of mint snubs to the loadout, not so much for defensive use, but as trading material for when the world ends. Kind of a portable 401k to go with my mp5k, which I forgot to mention I also have slung under my right arm. AIWB really allows for lots of other useful options.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    the only issue I'm still trying to solve is how many mags for each to carry, and where.
    Noob. Battlefield pickups will keep you stocked if you're doing it right. Just use your throwing knife if you get low.

Ive heard all the arguments against it, different poa/poi, recoil, legal issues (anyone has yet to show me actual proof of this) and a myriad of other opinions backed up by nothing.

Ive seen hollowpoints not penetrate glass of a vehicle (80s land rover, federal hydroshok) Ive seen house doors and brick corners of buildings eat hollowpoints and not give. Then Ive been told by a few guys who do a lot more work than I will ever what they do, which is exactly what I do, now. Not to pose or copycat but if it works for them, and it works really well for them, itll work here too.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Ive heard all the arguments against it, different poa/poi, recoil, legal issues (anyone has yet to show me actual proof of this) and a myriad of other opinions backed up by nothing.

Ive seen hollowpoints not penetrate glass of a vehicle (80s land rover, federal hydroshok)
    You shot an '80s Rover? That's just not right.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you are limiting this to a Glock and 10mm, I would first test to find a load that runs reliably, especially with a compromised grip. You may find that limits what you do by way of ammo. Hornady XTP 180/200 has been one of the most reliable loads through many of our 20/29 pistols. A problem with boutique performance ammo is it may be difficult to run enough to develop a feel for reliability. I would rather have 16 rounds of lower performance ammo than a stoppage with bear slaying stuff.
    I recall that 10mm KKM barrels and the hard cast penetrators didn't pan out in G20/29.

And .40 KKM barrels and the hard cast penetrators didn't pan out in the G22.

I'm wondering if the .40 conversion barrel for a G20 to shoot the .40 hard cast penetrators would be the ticket; getting the right ammo into the right chassis for it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List