Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Candy-cane a pistol mag? When? Why? Good / Bad / Ugly

Candy-cane a pistol mag? When? Why? Good / Bad / Ugly

I’ll start by saying I generally disagree with candy-caning of magazines in a firearm. Whether a shotgun (slug/buck), or a pistol (FMJ/JHP), the liability of not knowing what you will launch with each trigger press doesn’t seem worth any advantage for me. I’ve seen people do it in LE (especially with a shotgun), and I’ve heard tier 1 instructors in person advocate it and say they practice it. Even if my agency would allow it, I wouldn’t head down that path.

That said, I’m curious what the thoughts are with a candy-caned magazine in a “woods gun” for the larger critters who see us as appetizers. Presuming the gun runs reliably with the different ammunition choices, the difference in POI still concerns me. Are most defensive critter shootings too close for that to matter? Does anyone even track such things? Specifically I’m curious about 10mm and alternating a quality hunting round such as the Federal Trophy Bonded 180gr JSP with something that is designed for pure penetration such as a heavy FMJ or solid copper bullet.

Before anyone tries – I am not going to carry a revolver for this task. I’ve watched the 45 Super thread closely, and while impressed with the results, I’ve got a comfort level and manual of arms familiarity with the Glock that exceeds any other handgun. I carry the Glock on and off duty, and shoot Glocks in matches, so trying to gain and maintain proficiency with another weapon system isn’t high on my list of things to do. I have no delusions of the 10mm being equivalent to the magnum calibers, but I’m much more comfortable with 16 rapid rounds of 10mm than 6 rounds of any 44, 454, 460, 500, etc. And yes, this pistol would not take the place of a shotgun full of slugs. It would be for situations when I can’t get to the long gun quickly enough. And I have a solid grasp of the importance of shot placement.

So if we could skip the recommendations for other calibers or handguns, and focus on the benefits and/or drawbacks of alternating ammunition I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

I'd load the 180gr Federal and if I felt the need for different ammo I'd carry a spare mag full of it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If you're hunting, then use a hunting load. If you carry for defense, then use a defense load. POI issues are probably minor at close range and would concern me less than the fact that you're launching a sub-optimal bullet with every other pull of the trigger.

Okie John

I don't hunt. This would be for defense against 4 legged critters when hiking/camping. On the street I'll stick with my G19 and duty ammo. As I understand it most hunting bullets have some level of expansion designed into them. My thought was that a round that penetrates really well would be the other round.

Maybe a solid copper bullet like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WDvzul3rvTk
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-12-2016 at 07:14 PM.

The only time I alternate loads is with a revolver (yes I know you don't want to carry one, bear with me) with the first two being snake shot and the others a 36 grain hollow point in a 9 shot .22. I've never seen the solid side of the logic of alternating ammo in a semi auto. I'd prefer to carry a seperate magazine for that purpose.

I think I'd carry a deep penetration solid load in one magazine and a bonded load in a seperate magazine, or however many magazines you care to carry.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 03-13-2016 at 12:14 AM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I don't hunt. This would be for defense against 4 legged critters when hiking/camping. On the street I'll stick with my G19 and duty ammo. As I understand it most hunting bullets have some level of expansion designed into them. My thought was that a round that penetrates really well would be the other round.

Maybe a solid copper bullet like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WDvzul3rvTk
    I don't really worry about 4 legged critters when hiking/camping. I worry about two legged scumbags.

For example: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/12...l?intcmp=hpbt4

I've always thought it was dumb in shotguns especially. I don't even like to keep different ammo on the side saddle. Shotguns needs to be fed and if I fire rounds and have a chance to put more in I'm going to do it. I don't want to have to guess how many I put in and which is going to come out. I think if you want a different type of ammo you should keep it in a separate spot. For example, load the gun with buck and put buck in the side saddle. If you want a slug option put it on the butt of the gun or really any other position so if you go to it, you know what you're grabbing.

If you are limiting this to a Glock and 10mm, I would first test to find a load that runs reliably, especially with a compromised grip. You may find that limits what you do by way of ammo. Hornady XTP 180/200 has been one of the most reliable loads through many of our 20/29 pistols. A problem with boutique performance ammo is it may be difficult to run enough to develop a feel for reliability. I would rather have 16 rounds of lower performance ammo than a stoppage with bear slaying stuff.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The only gun I don't is my duty gun because I have to use issued ammo.

Otherwise, I use a mix of 147 or 158 flatnose, winchester / federal hollow points (hst/ranger) and a random liberty defense and hornady critical defense round mixed in.

You just cannot say with any certainty what situation you will be in and I want the best of all worlds available to me. Hollowpoints don't go through vehicles well, they break up, especially through glass. FMJ does well through those types of situations.

At the end of the day the difference between FMJ and top of the line brand new technology hollowpoint is negligible if you cannot hit a switch.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

For woods stuff, I'd carry the heavy load and have a spare mag with the plinker or lower power stuff. As GJM said, I'd make sure the rhino rollers work. George and his wife's experiences with the 10mm Glocks have personally saved me from going down that path.

User Tag List