Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rant

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'd make two suggestions:
    1. Start your practice session with a cold drill that measures the things you might need in a moment's notice with no warm-up. For most folks who ccw or carry on duty, that's going to mean drawing and getting multiple accurate hits quickly, not hitting a bullseye at 25yd.
    2. End your practice session with an accuracy-intensive string of fire that is within your normal performance envelope. The idea is not to push yourself but rather to reaffirm in your mind that when you step off the range, you can make an accurate shot on demand. If instead you choose a final drill that is beyond your ability, you just walk away frustrated, as with the OP.
    That is such excellent advice. Guess that's why I'm here..

I try to live that when I visit the range, but that just expresses it much better than I could...

THANKS Todd---

Bill

My own experience:
    Have visual patience or someone calls it follow through. Hold the gun until front sight lifts. If I see front sight lift up and muzzle flash (mostly indoor), the bullet goes to where I aim. If front sight dips first before lifts, I start cursing myself.
    Accept wobble. It's OK. Wobble with sight picture maintained, the hole is still pretty close to where you want the bullet to go.
    Strong weak hand grip with firm contact on bottom of trigger guard from both hands would help. Slight jerk or trigger slap won't move the gun much, at least in close distance (5-10 yard).

1. Start your practice session with a cold drill that measures the things you might need in a moment's notice with no warm-up. For most folks who ccw or carry on duty, that's going to mean drawing and getting multiple accurate hits quickly, not hitting a bullseye at 25yd.
    2. End your practice session with an accuracy-intensive string of fire that is within your normal performance envelope. The idea is not to push yourself but rather to reaffirm in your mind that when you step off the range, you can make an accurate shot on demand. If instead you choose a final drill that is beyond your ability, you just walk away frustrated, as with the OP.

I 2nd this excellent info. I shall incorporate.

That's some of the simplest and best advice out there. I like to run a "reverse" FAST as a cold drill (start with four to the circle) and then finish up the session with ten rounds on a B8 at 25 yards. I think leaving the range with confidence is a big deal.

The results of the cold drill can also change what I work on that day. Did I yank the trigger on the head shots? Time to bust out the dummy rounds. Did I fumble the reload? Time to work some strings with reloads.
    Last edited by 98z28; 03-03-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Just came from range. F^)*&#g anticipation.That's all, discuss at will.
    Ditto.

And a range locked at 15 yards can be a real pain sometimes.

User Tag List