Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first squib

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

My first squib

Well, after 15-ish years of reloading I finally had a squib. I did what I was trained to do when I felt the reduced recoil and heard the different sound, stopped shooting, announced "squib!" (even though I was the only one on the range) and then opened the cylinder and looked in the forcing cone. I could see the base of the bullet, so I was done with the LCR for the day. Shame, too, I was shooting pretty well.

I'm glad you caught it before firing the next one. Any idea how it might have happened? Any change in your routine or equipment?

I do often consider the results of a possible squib when running drills at speed and whether I would have time to react, I'm thinking the answer is no. I'm quite average, and the average human reaction time is .26 seconds. If I'm running .20 splits, I couldn't react to the squib until .06 seconds after I had already fired the next shot.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    I'm glad you caught it before firing the next one. Any idea how it might have happened? Any change in your routine or equipment?

I do often consider the results of a possible squib when running drills at speed and whether I would have time to react, I'm thinking the answer is no. I'm quite average, and the average human reaction time is .26 seconds. If I'm running .20 splits, I couldn't react to the squib until .06 seconds after I had already fired the next shot.
    No change in my routine. I suspect my powder dispenser may have messed up somehow or be wearing out. I've used the same Lee doo-dad for about 12 years now and it's got a lot of loads under it's hood. I noticed several light loads while shooting, far more variation than I normally get. While dispensing the powder, I noticed that I had one real hard pull, like something was clogged. I weighed that charge and it was ok, but the handle remained "grindy" feeling for several more loads. It then went back to normal. I wonder if the one that went back to normal was the light one. I don't know what a primer only load would look like, so I won't rule out I simply spaced out for a second and didn't pour powder in one.

I'm no where near a .20 split with a revolver but I instantly realized it wasn't right. I said "squib" out loud and was lowering the gun before I consciously realized it. I *suspect* that if it occurred with a semi auto it would not cycle the action fully and would result in a FTE or FTF. I think you'd feel and hear the difference and you'd have time to react during a malfunction drill. If it did cycle the slide, then perhaps you're right.

It was probably sketchy brass*

* This is meant to be an inside joke and not to be taken seriously

Happy that you caught it quick enough.

Site Supporter
    I had a similar, primer-only squib once. It stopped in the forcing cone and locked up the cylinder. On the second-to-last shot of the last stage of a local match. That I was winning.

Oh, and I didn't bring a spare gun that day, so I DNF'd.

Could have been a lot worse.

I still haven't figured out what happened.

I poured the powder out of the hopper and made sure it hadn't clumped. I did not see any clumps.

I've dispensed and measured multiple loads and they all weigh within .1 grain.

The bullet seems a bit far down the barrel for a primer only load.

I can only suppose it happened when the handle felt different and will keep an eye on it. I'm going to load up another 100 and see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I still haven't figured out what happened.
    And you likely never will.

I've had two of those; both in .45 reloads in an HK45C. One I definitely noticed, did what you did- stop and investigate. The bullet was about halfway down the bore. If I hadn't stopped…

The second one was during an IDPA match; same gun, same batch of ammo. My first clue was a FTF; I did a Phase One tap-rack-bang clearance; no joy. Fortunately… very fortunately… the bullet had lodged just past the forcing cone, preventing a new round from chambering ll the way.

Here's the weird part; myself, the RSO, and the guy running the timer all said there was NO difference in noise signature (i.e., no "pop" instead of bang); recoil looked/felt the same, the fired case extracted/ejected just fine, and when I began slapping the gun they thought I had a simple case of Dreaded Limp Wrist.

Anyway… I was big-time lucky on that one. I did find a few high primers in that batch of ammo, but I shot up the rest of it without issue. And I have loaded and shot thousands of duplicate rounds since then, with no issues.

No doubt that some nay-sayer/s will use these examples as reason why THEY never endanger themselves or others with reloads, etc., etc., ad nauseum. I stopped trying to 'splain anything to these people a very long time ago. I do share your consternation… but you know what? LSP972 don't care. If I bulge a barrel or blow an extractor, magazine, whatever… LSP972 don't care. Shit happens, despite the careful approach I- and no doubt you- use. And I doubt those self-righteous nay-sayers have shot enough or been around folks shooting enough to see some of the screw-ups that come out of factory ammo boxes.

Like that Russian Olympic champion shooter said once, during a lecture when questions about his stance and handling procedure being "safe" were asked… he said, "Is gun! Is NOT safe!"

Some factory loads are squibs as well--as I learned one day on a M-60 machine gun range. Unfortunately perfection is not a human virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I could see the base of the bullet, so I was done with the LCR for the day. Shame, too, I was shooting pretty well.
    No Squib rod? I have been carrying one in my range bag for years now. Never had to use it on one of my guns/reloads but it has seen some use in other people's guns. Needless to say a handy item to have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    No Squib rod? I have been carrying one in my range bag for years now. Never had to use it on one of my guns/reloads but it has seen some use in other people's guns. Needless to say a handy item to have on hand.
    No, but I suppose I'll be on the market for one. Just as soon as I close this barn door now that the horses are out.

User Tag List