Thread: 75gr Gold Dot Accuracy Evaluation

75gr Gold Dot Accuracy Evaluation

All groups shot at 100 yards, using the gear as depicted in video:

Site Supporter
    Does that gun shoot other ammo better or worse?

Are you an under 1 MOA shooter with a gas gun normally?

Hard to tell anything from just groups if that gun has never shot under 1 MOA in its life or the shooter hasn't...

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Does that gun shoot other ammo better or worse?

Are you an under 1 MOA shooter with a gas gun normally?

Hard to tell anything from just groups if that gun has never shot under 1 MOA in its life or the shooter hasn't...
    What kind of 10 shot groups do you feel a government profile chrome lined barrel is intrinsically capable of?

With a 25x or 32x optic, I as a shooter could be more precise than with a 4x nightforce combat oriented optic with 2moa dot. That said, with a bolt gun and a 20x leupold, I used to be a half moa shooter out to 400m. That was years ago, and I'm not sure if I've improved or not. I have not tried it.

Thus far, this ammo has proven more accurate than anything else I've fed this rifle. 1.373moa 10 shot group from a barrier blind bonded round from a lead sled would impress me, personally...
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-09-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    I didn't really have any expectation. I wasn't saying this was good or bad.

I just wondered what the gun normally shot because it wasn't telling me this load was more accurate or less accurate than most.

Your second post clarified it was more accurate, which is what I was wondering.

I expect government chrome lined barrels to be 2-3 MOA guns in general.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    I didn't really have any expectation. I wasn't saying this was good or bad.

I just wondered what the gun normally shot because it wasn't telling me this load was more accurate or less accurate than most.

Your second post clarified it was more accurate, which is what I was wondering.

I expect government chrome lined barrels to be 2-3 MOA guns in general.
    In answer of your other question, a gentleman at the range this am let me shoot his .308. 5 shots at 100 yards mic'ed edge to edge was 0.923". This is the first time I shot his rifle, of course, or any bolt gun in over any decade, and the eye relief and diopter were not to my liking. I only shot one group of 5, but it was around 0.6moa as stated. This jives with my memory of when I shot bolt guns, being about a 0.5moa shooter off a bench and bag.

I also shot several 10 shot groups with black hills 62gr tsx from my rifle. I got 1.9x and 2.0x moa, iirc. Guy with the bolt gun had a mic on hand. I can re mic later for exact details. I just called it 2moa. So far, gold dot is really what this gun likes.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-17-2016 at 05:08 PM.

User Tag List