Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are 38 specials so popular in 686 / .357 guns?

I no longer use 38 specials in my .357 magnum revolvers. Yes, they're cheaper, but for me, the point of impact is different and there is the crud build-up in the chambers. If I were to target shoot with 38 specials, I would use a .38 special revolver.

Normally the 38 spl impacts noticeably higher than the 357 mag loads, POI moves about 2"-3.5" vertical at 25 yds, horizontal POI is about the same. With an adjustable sight revolver the clicks are very repeatable if you want to adjust.

The reason for shooting 38 spl loads is not cost, it is because both shooter and gun strain less. If you hand a 686 loaded with 38 spl to a new shooter, the recoil is very mild.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 03-07-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by byrdland View Post
    I no longer use 38 specials in my .357 magnum revolvers . . . there is the crud build-up in the chambers.
    Very true, but isn't that what portable electric drills and .40 caliber brushes designed for?

I never had to use more than a few passes with manual bronze brush.

Also, shooting .357 is more fun for me. I prefer the pow over the pop.

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    ie: If spacing is an issue, wouldn't .38 S&W cases be more popular instead? If we don't need that much powder, would it make more sense to just use the shorter S&W .38's instead of having all that empty space? (Or are these more expensive than 38 special cases as well, or are they not compatible in 686's, etc) and require a specific gun?

From my limited perspective it seems as though .38's are used because there's a much greater range in 38/357 handguns than 9mm loads when it comes to revolvers, but I was wondering why 38 special cases are used over other options. I'm guessing it comes down to availability and cost?

Cheers

-Ad-
    .38 Short Colt is popular in USPSA Revolver division. Case capacity and load data make it essentially a rimmed 9mm. I'm using TK Custom clips and Starline brass. Common combination AFAIK. Outside USPSA, everybody is still making .38 spl because they've always made .38 spl. And people are buying .38spl because they've always bought .38spl.

Accuracy isn't a problem on steel or even relatively distant USPSA targets. I'm sure benching the gun or bullseye COFs would tell a difference, but only that. If the mechanical accuracy of the gun and ammo really is deteriorated, it isn't noticeable outside those edge cases.

Never noticed an issue with leaded cylinders either. It all brushes out. Or most of it does. Eventually.

What's the point of having a stainless revolver if you can't leave it covered in lead and carbon most of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    .38 Short Colt is popular in USPSA Revolver division.
    Thanks for that - these look like a good alternative - especially for low power factor loads where I don't want much powder in the case! And if leading isn't an issue with the shooting (only the cleaning) I can live with that.

There are some interesting discussions on the castboolit forum about very light loading 38 short Colt cases. Some like them for beginning shooters or their grandchildren to shoot, some just enjoy the really light loads. Somebody likened them to 38 cal CB caps. The direction some are going is loading lighter until they start sticking bullets in the barrel, then bumping the charge back up to a reliable level of bullet exit.

Sounds interesting to me.

Regarding empty space/poder orientation etc. some of the most accurate target 38 spl loads, used in competition to set records, use small doses of fast powders like bullseye/Red Dot, and leave more tan 75% empty space in the 38 spl case, which was designed for black powder.

A possible reason for preferring special brass over magnum cases could be due to internal taper. Full wadcutter bullets are best loaded in specifically designed 38 Special brass which have a shortened internal taper. This reduces case bulging, creates even case tension, and prevents damage to hollow base wadcutter skirts. Even if standard bullets and brass are used, the thinner case wall of the Special brass should allow the case to properly expand and seal the chamber when lighter loads are fired.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 03-08-2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Tag List