Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P320 Slide fit. What's normal?

P320 Slide fit. What's normal?

We have a P320 that we've had trouble getting to shoot groups. We get decent groups but there is always an add flyer in the group.

Dad has complained about the slide fit since he bought it. We decided to try to measure the amount of slack in the fit.

At the front of the slide there is approximately .060" of vertical play.
    At the rear there's approximately .020" of vertical play.
    At the rear there is approximately .010"-.015" of horizontal movement. The horizontal movement is some what more difficult to measure.

To me this seems excessive and would possibly account for the strange flyer that we get when trying to shoot groups.

Could anyone verify for us if this is out of spec?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I could check. How did you go about securing the frame so you could move the slide?
    i used to wannabe

Used feeler gauges between the frame and slide. Side to side frame was in a vice.

Ok I will get you some measurements tomorrow.
    i used to wannabe

I don't know if the issues described are what you've got going on, especially given these observations were being made at the 50 yard line, but...

http://grayguns.com/grayguns-range-r...ig-sauer-p320/

I thought intrinsic accuracy among other things came from barrel to slide fit, not slide to frame fit.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I thought intrinsic accuracy among other things came from barrel to slide fit, not slide to frame fit.
    Kinda what I thought but didn't know.

What I do know is I wanted to help a brother out and have failed. I totally forgot to grab my tools from work
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I don't know if the issues described are what you've got going on, especially given these observations were being made at the 50 yard line, but...

http://grayguns.com/grayguns-range-r...ig-sauer-p320/
    Hmmm. Hadn't seen that before. I would say this one definitely has significant rattle in the frame to slide fit.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

That's always been my understanding too, but I recalled reading Bruce's little blurb there and figured I'd link it. Specifically because he has forgotten more about Sigs than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Hmmm. Hadn't seen that before. I would say this one definitely has significant rattle in the frame to slide fit.

My 320 rattles a bit and some of my other older p series guns do so horribly, but all of em still shoot plenty acceptably at the 25 when I do my part. I'm not sure the rattle is the sole discerning factor. But the 'dropping one round out' part is what reminded me of the above.

t

Site Supporter
    Depends on the gun. For guns like SIGs and Glocks using the modified browning lock up, yes barrel to slide fit is more critical.. I've seen SIGs with slides that rattle on the frame and shoot very well.

For other designs, like 1911's slide to frame fit matters.

User Tag List