Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Revolver, why?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chl442 View Post
    I've been evaluating my potential future needs and have decided I may want to add a few mid-sized revolvers into my collection along with maybe one steel 5 shot snub and one more s&w 642 no-lock.
    I'm really liking the idea of the Wiley Clapp 3inch GP100s with the gold bead and a 2.5 inch SP101 as both models really look to be "plug & play" and might be enough to get me started in terms of having a brace of revolvers to train with. I tend to like pistols I can appendix carry. Are there any issues with the Rugers
    in terms of quality I should be looking out for ?

Thanks
    Chris
    My Wiley Clapp in "Hawkeye Blue" wore VERY quickly, especially over the roll mark, to the point it had flecks of surface rust within a few months of carry. Ruger refinished it on their dime and it's held up great since.

Lock tite the rear sight screw. It's not done at the factory.

Both are completely functional from the factory but respond very well to a light polish of the internals. The SP101 tends to be over sprung, a spring kit can get the trigger pull down a bit and still be 100% reliable. The GP100, perhaps because of the bigger grips and the effect of leverage, does not feel as heavy as the SP101. Just for funsies I got a spring kit with my last order from Wolff and dropped in the medium weight springs. It's still 100% reliable, but didn't make a lot of difference in the pull, not as much as the polish.

I really dig the Wiley Clapp 3". It's been a struggle not to buy a stainless one just because.

I have a WC GP-100. It's great, but I actually like my well worn, 3" regular GP 100 better.

I actually have a website/blog called, revolverscience.com which people automatically think makes me a big revolver apologist, somehow. Really, I think you can't be a serious student of defensive pistolcraft without having a bit of practical experience with wheelguns. Being a solid WHEELGUN shooter makes shooting DAO and SF pistols SO MUCH easier, I feel.

Revolvers make great BUG's, I think. That's what I use them for. I consider revolvers, especially large caliber, or .357 caliber large frame revolvers, as my, "fun guns." Some people like cans or AR's, I like cool wheelguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Hit up Hizzie, he is pretty much the Ruger revolver AIWB dude on P-F
    Thanks Darryl
    Will do !

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I have a WC GP-100. It's great, but I actually like my well worn, 3" regular GP 100 better.

I actually have a website/blog called, revolverscience.com which people automatically think makes me a big revolver apologist, somehow. Really, I think you can't be a serious student of defensive pistolcraft without having a bit of practical experience with wheelguns. Being a solid WHEELGUN shooter makes shooting DAO and SF pistols SO MUCH easier, I feel.

Revolvers make great BUG's, I think. That's what I use them for. I consider revolvers, especially large caliber, or .357 caliber large frame revolvers, as my, "fun guns." Some people like cans or AR's,
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And that's one of the reasons I'm wanting some revolvers and the specific training that goes along with them. For me it's unexplored territory, and that makes it fun.
    I had the opportunity to watch SeriousStudent run his revolvers during the recent HITs class and it looked like fun ! It almost reminded me of the fun I have when I take a shotgun course and I'm running my 870. I'm looking forward to the adventure, especially since I've learned I actually like a trigger like the HK LEM better than anything else. I think there will be some similarities with a nice DA revolver trigger.

Chris

User Tag List