Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver, why?

Revolver, why?

Lately, it seems more here like revolver-forum than pistol-forum. I have more revolvers than I can keep track of. I really like them but these days, a semi auto seems a better choice for me for everything from competition, to lower 48 defense use, to an Alaska field gun. Am I the only one that feels this way?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

No. :-)
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

I really really want a small revolver. Monday through Friday I leave at the crack of dawn for work and come home in the afternoon, I take my pistol but it sits beside me in the car. I work in a gated and fenced locatiOn that I only leave once, to get lunch. We take a company vehicle so no gats. Every once in a while I have to stop and get gas or run into publix for the wife really quick, it SUCKS trying to strap on a gat before going in. I want to have a small revolver for times like these so I can just throw it in my pocket.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Lately, it seems more here like revolver-forum than pistol-forum. I have more revolvers than I can keep track of. I really like them but these days, a semi auto seems a better choice for me for everything from competition, to lower 48 defense use, to an Alaska field gun. Am I the only one that feels this way?
    For you......the semi auto is THE choice. For most here, including me.....the semi auto is the choice. With that said, I do not think you can beat the combo of a service size auto backed up with a concealable revolver. It is a great way to balance the benefits and negatives of both. Now, there are also a whole lot of folks who should not being carrying or using an auto. It is just that those people are likely not on any gun forums. There is a definite issue that many who carry auto's could really use more training.

I think a bunch of folks here have gravitated towards the revolvers lately for the same reason I have. It is a nicer world. Far less animosity, bickering, or hate. Revolvers are fun.....Revolvers seem to have more emotional investment and bring out positive feelings. For me, they have allowed me to really enjoy guns again.......not shooting, that is work. Just simple enjoyment. I look at them like classic muscle cars. May not be what you want to run all the time as a daily driver, but they will bring a smile to your face if your an American...
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Why?

Because they have soul. Kinda like telemarking.

I've often said that when I retire, I'm gonna dedicate a good solid year to gaming (and probably carrying) a wheelie.

Much to agree with in Darryls post.

I tend to simply like revolvers more, and have vastly more time shooting them. Autos certainly have strong points, and I cant fault anyone for choosing one, though in my use, revolvers, even a single action, will do about all I ask of a handgun. Bears aren't as in your face as Alaska, but always a possibility, even in the yard. I tend to carry 44 spl or mag, or 45 Colt mostly. I was recently thinking I may be ASL (automatics as a second language). When the term "carbine" comes up, the default for most here is AR type. My first thought is "92 or 94?". I own a couple self loaders, and carry my black powder era g-19 some, but in everyday life I'm more likely to have a revolver and Winchester carbine or scoped bolt gun close by than anything else if life suddenly got too interesting. I shoot them fairly well, truly enjoy shooting and fooling with them, and seem to gravitate to them more than anything else. I haven't worried about if soft point rifle loads are enough for defensive use, or the loads I usually have in a revolver. I have some silvertips I put in them when away from the normal home country. Darryl and others I think, indicated they did fairly well in 45 Colt and 44 spl.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    For you......the semi auto is THE choice. For most here, including me.....the semi auto is the choice. With that said, I do not think you can beat the combo of a service size auto backed up with a concealable revolver. It is a great way to balance the benefits and negatives of both. Now, there are also a whole lot of folks who should not being carrying or using an auto. It is just that those people are likely not on any gun forums. There is a definite issue that many who carry auto's could really use more training.
    I concur on everything but they aren't on gun forums. They just aren't on THIS gun forum.

Otherwise, yes, spot on. I carry a P226 and an LCR daily for that exact reason. Both have strengths and weaknesses, just like each carry position has strengths and weaknesses. Carrying two lets the strengths of one overlap the weaknesses of the other.

That said, I still carry a revolver off duty when I'm going to my rural property. Snake shot works a lot better in revolvers. I've been known to carry a .357 when I'm just going to the office to meet a prosecutor or the like as well.

For many, many, many years I simply shot a revolver better than a semi-auto. A lot of this was training related. I knew how to grip a revolver. I gripped a semi auto the same way. I *still* have to work on not holding too tight with my right hand, especially with a Glock .40, and pushing bullets left. Revolvers just seem more tolerant of improper grip.

Site Supporter
    I'll echo what others have said, plus there was point in my life where money was tight. I sold all of my firearms to pay bills except for a beat up Model 10 and a J frame. With a single stage press I make a ton of .38 158 grain SWC. And that is all I shot for a couple years. When my finances got better I just naturally bought more revolvers. Just last year I started buying auto loaders again.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 03-04-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typos

Revolvers fill a very narrow niche with me, a 38 snub for a pocket gun. Other than that, I don't have a need for one. I'll get a 4 inch 357 someday because I want one, but that'll be just for my own enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aren't alone. They're uninteresting niche weapons to me, same as shotguns. All the chatting about them doesn't bother me though.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List