Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using A Revolver In IDPA

I used to shoot IDPA. I stated the club in Brunswick, GA. When I shot SSR I used a 5" M625 with full moon clips and handloaded 125,000 power factor ammo. My goal was to not only win SSR but to be HOA. I was almost always near the top OA. Then the rules changed. I had to acquire a 4" M625. I recently tried the SL Varient speed loader. They are available at bobmacs.com. I like the SL varient much better than the HKS. The SL Varient will acomadate 44 mag., 45 AR, 45 Colt, & 454 Casull. I believe that when loaded with round nose bullets in 45AR, SL Varient makes a winning combination in IDPA SSR. Of course one would have to handload down near the current power factor of 105,000. For ESR one could use the same revolver with full moon clips loaded with 165,000 power factor 45 ACP ammunition.

I've used revolvers at IDPA matches and IPSC matches in the past and had a great time. I also found it interesting to show up at assorted training seminars with a revolver just to see how it worked out with the autoloaders. FWIW, revolver fans should check out ICORE at www.icore.org
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

There's a Master class revo guy at my local matches and it's stunning how fast he is. Many times he's the high overall or close to it (I don't think we have very many MA or EX class shooters, but still).
    Also noticed that where it used to be him and maybe one other guy this week there were 5 or 6 in ESR.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    There's a Master class revo guy at my local matches and it's stunning how fast he is. Many times he's the high overall or close to it (I don't think we have very many MA or EX class shooters, but still).
    Also noticed that where it used to be him and maybe one other guy this week there were 5 or 6 in ESR.
    I find it interesting enough to note that I can accurately shoot a revolver faster than a semi-auto (in my limited experience that includes Sigs, Glocks, 1911's, Baby Eagles, Hi Powers and my current "toy" a Browning BDM. I can manage recoil better, transition target to target better, and stage the trigger better. I would chalk a lot of that up to shooting revolvers all the time, with the exception of recoil management. Then again, perhaps it's my perception of recoil management...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List