Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Data Analysis Shows Policing Isn't Racist

I think from many viewpoints it was excellent luck to find this forum. Just as important as anything else is the quality of LE that is represented here. I've learned quite a bit here.
    My main point was that SouthNarc had figured out Cody early on. It just took time for him to learn all he needed to learn. Therefore SN Is a pretty insightful guy.
    No ass kissing but my hat is off to all of you guys. Its a tough job only getting harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Brian B, I ll give this a try. My 2nd phase FTO was the best dope finding cop I have ever seen and just a stellar guy. He was also a no b.s. truth teller who's first words to me were "son, as far as the city is concerned, you are simply a hanger for that uniform and nobody really gives a crap about you". Talk about taking the excitement out of things....but lord was he right.

Early in training we were sitting off a side street next to the "Felony Freeway". This was a street that ran parallel to the Main Street through town that was often used by criminals to avoid the main drag where there tended to be more cops. So we are watching cars pass by and after about ten cars he points to one that drove by and said "that one". I pull out and he says "find some PC quickly". Vehicle had several minor mechanical violations and I pulled the car over. My FTO gets out and goes to the drivers side. Tells the driver why we stopped him, and then says.."where is your kit". I was baffled. The guy was already starting the "I don't have nothing". FTO gets him out of the car. Has him roll up his sleeves and sure enough, his arms are covered in track marks. His pupils were severely constricted and he showed all the classic signs of a heroin user. He was arrested for under the influence, his "kit" (syringe, spoon, and elastic) was rolled up in his sock and he was holding several balloons of heroin. Good felony arrest and the guy had a long rap sheet for burglary and drug possession.

Now....here is the key. Most uninformed observers would say we just picked on the guy for being Hispanic...this had zero to do with it. I asked my FTO later how the heck he knew the guy was dirty. He just looked at me like I was a total dumbass and says "who the fuck wears a long sleeve flannel in June in Southern California"?.....".guys covering up track marks that who." That is how cop work is done. Cops look for "anomaly's" . They look for things not right. They look for things that are usually an indicator that something is not right and criminal activity is occurring. They are deeply in tune with various cultural norms....and when those are in contrast. Good indicator in our area....black and Hispanic males in thug/gangster attire in a car together. You could go to Vegas with that one. Why..? Has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with gang culture. They do not mix on the street. It is part of gang culture. They are not as in tune with the idea of everybody is the same and should be mixed as liberal college professors think. The only time they would be driving around together in the same car...dope deal or some kind of other criminal conspiracy. It would not be to run down to McDonalds for burgers and a Coke. What generally happens is the anomaly draws your attention, and then you use their crappy car or crappy driving to develop your probable cause. What is happening now is cops are simply avoiding anomaly's, putting the blinders on and just answering calls they are sent to. What they public perceives in the case of our guy with the flannel shirt is a poor Hispanic guy getting picked on by the cops. Reality...him going to jail for the dope prevented hundreds of burglaries committed against the same folks who perceive the racist police. Current solution...just take burglary reports.
    Last edited by UNK; 03-08-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Brian B, I ll give this a try. My 2nd phase FTO was the best dope finding cop I have ever seen and just a stellar guy. He was also a no b.s. truth teller who's first words to me were "son, as far as the city is concerned, you are simply a hanger for that uniform and nobody really gives a crap about you". Talk about taking the excitement out of things....but lord was he right.

Early in training we were sitting off a side street next to the "Felony Freeway". This was a street that ran parallel to the Main Street through town that was often used by criminals to avoid the main drag where there tended to be more cops. So we are watching cars pass by and after about ten cars he points to one that drove by and said "that one". I pull out and he says "find some PC quickly". Vehicle had several minor mechanical violations and I pulled the car over. My FTO gets out and goes to the drivers side. Tells the driver why we stopped him, and then says.."where is your kit". I was baffled. The guy was already starting the "I don't have nothing". FTO gets him out of the car. Has him roll up his sleeves and sure enough, his arms are covered in track marks. His pupils were severely constricted and he showed all the classic signs of a heroin user. He was arrested for under the influence, his "kit" (syringe, spoon, and elastic) was rolled up in his sock and he was holding several balloons of heroin. Good felony arrest and the guy had a long rap sheet for burglary and drug possession.

Now....here is the key. Most uninformed observers would say we just picked on the guy for being Hispanic...this had zero to do with it. I asked my FTO later how the heck he knew the guy was dirty. He just looked at me like I was a total dumbass and says "who the fuck wears a long sleeve flannel in June in Southern California"?.....".guys covering up track marks that who." That is how cop work is done. Cops look for "anomaly's" . They look for things not right. They look for things that are usually an indicator that something is not right and criminal activity is occurring. They are deeply in tune with various cultural norms....and when those are in contrast. Good indicator in our area....black and Hispanic males in thug/gangster attire in a car together. You could go to Vegas with that one. Why..? Has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with gang culture. They do not mix on the street. It is part of gang culture. They are not as in tune with the idea of everybody is the same and should be mixed as liberal college professors think. The only time they would be driving around together in the same car...dope deal or some kind of other criminal conspiracy. It would not be to run down to McDonalds for burgers and a Coke. What generally happens is the anomaly draws your attention, and then you use their crappy car or crappy driving to develop your probable cause. What is happening now is cops are simply avoiding anomaly's, putting the blinders on and just answering calls they are sent to. What they public perceives in the case of our guy with the flannel shirt is a poor Hispanic guy getting picked on by the cops. Reality...him going to jail for the dope prevented hundreds of burglaries committed against the same folks who perceive the racist police. Current solution...just take burglary reports.
    Some people would call all that profiling and discrimination.

I'd call that solid police work by an experienced practitioner.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

That FTO just died recently. Voodooman....you would have loved watching him testify in court. Some of the funniest stuff you ever saw. He was like a character out of a book. His nickname on SWAT was "Pigpen" because his gear was always a mess. I was his first trainee when he promoted out of narcotics. I bought his "dope gun" from him. A nickel Colt Lightwieght Commnader that he had essentially shoved down his pants and "Mexican Carried" for years. It was yellow and in horrible shape. It was my first bespoke gun that I sent to a gunsmith for full customizing and then to Robar for plating. When it was done, Pete couldn't believe it was the same gun. It is now one of my most cherished possessions.
    Another funny thing was him getting thrown out of the FBI sniper school. He had a huge barrel chest and strong as an Ox. Like me, couldn't do pull ups to save his life. He was sent home from FBI Sniper School for failing the pull up portion of the fitness test. They told him it was important because he would need to be able to get up on roofs, which required doing pull ups. He killed a dude a week later.......shooting him in the chest from a roof across the street with an M16 and a Colt4x scope at night.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 03-08-2016 at 04:51 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

That FTO just died recently. Voodooman....you would have loved watching him testify in court. Some of the funniest stuff you ever saw. He was like a character out of a book. His nickname on SWAT was "Pigpen" because his gear was always a mess. I was his first trainee when he promoted out of narcotics. I bought his "dope gun" from him. A nickel Colt Lightwieght Commnader that he had essentially shoved down his pants and "Mexican Carried" for years. It was yellow and in horrible shape. It was my first bespoke gun that I sent to a gunsmith for full customizing and then to Robar for plating. When it was done, Pete couldn't believe it was the same gun. It is now one of my most cherished possessions.
    Another funny thing was him getting thrown out of the FBI sniper school. He had a huge barrel chest and strong as an Ox. Like me, couldn't do pull ups to save his life. He was sent home from FBI Sniper School for failing the pull up portion of the fitness test. They told him it was important because he would need to be able to get up on roofs, which required doing pull ups. He killed a dude a week later.......shooting him in the chest from a roof across the street with an M16 and a Colt4x scope at night.
    Ahh the stories no one will ever hear...I think I'll end up writing a book a few years after I retire....you should write one.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I wish I'd kept a journal during my career. So much stuff has been forgotten.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I wish I'd kept a journal during my career. So much stuff has been forgotten.
    I do, they are called arrest reports.
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I do, they are called arrest reports.
    Not everything happens during an arrest. Lots of crazy funny stuff never got documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Not everything happens during an arrest. Lots of crazy funny stuff never got documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont talk about documentation...just do it....
    VDMSR.com

I agree.....the best stuff was not subject to "discovery". I was trained by a mentor before becoming a cop....no pictures...EVER! I adhered to that. With today's phones, if nothing else I would have loved to have pictures of some of the practical jokes.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List