Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Midlength

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Just pulled new 6960 upper out of the box from Brownells. Very slim hand guard. Quick check on my cheapo postage scale says it is .5 oz lighter than a 6720 upper in stock config (including the MBUS rear sight).

Also, from Brownells in today's email: 10% off and free shipping on over $25, today only. Code: JAD.

https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...6960&ksubmit=y
    Thanks for that. I grabbed some Agent sights for my 19X for $76.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Just pulled new 6960 upper out of the box from Brownells. Very slim hand guard. Quick check on my cheapo postage scale says it is .5 oz lighter than a 6720 upper in stock config (including the MBUS rear sight).

Also, from Brownells in today's email: 10% off and free shipping on over $25, today only. Code: JAD.

https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...6960&ksubmit=y
    Was your's in good condition?

Mine was pretty scratched and ugly out of the box. I'm not especially fussy but both the barrel and the hand guard had external wear and looked used. I sent it back, but I may try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Was your's in good condition?

Mine was pretty scratched and ugly out of the box. I'm not especially fussy but both the barrel and the hand guard had external wear and looked used. I sent it back, but I may try again.
    I just took a closer look in the not great light available: The rail and barrel both look pretty good...no scratches or obvious wear, so I (hopefully!) did not get the one you sent back. I looked at the alignment between the upper receiver and the rail yesterday based on some other comments I had seen: I think the install is ok, but the angle of the shoulder on the top Pic rail or width where it is cut on one side may be different between the two. I'll try to measure it tomorrow, but I'm not that worried about it--I won't run an optic across that gap, regardless, and there is no play between the two and stuff seems to lock up fine on the rail itself. The finish on the rail is a pretty good match for the old school 6920 lower I put it on; the upper receiver itself has a purplish color under certain light (looks fine in other lighting). The upper has a keyhole forge marking, but a five digit number (13629) where the "C" marking normally would be. I believe that is Colt's cage code. I don't know if that is a recent change...maybe one of the Colt cognoscenti can chime in there. Feed ramps look like legit M4 style. Barrel markings are "13629 C MP" over "5.56 NATO 1/7". Front take down was very tight at first but some oil and a couple reps and I can get it out easily by hand.
    Last edited by Gater; 08-01-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Any of you guys buying 6960 uppers-

If you do any disassembly and have the opportunity to measure the diameter of the gas port, I'll be your best friend. I can't find data on it. I'd like to believe they stuck with what BCM and others have done, at the same time I'd still like to have facts. Thanks!

One thing I recently learned- Colt only sells a limited selection of uppers, and all are fairly basic (no EPR, assuming no CCU). I'd bet Brownell's is acquiring complete CCU rifles and divorcing the lower, upper, and BCG to sell independently. Perhaps the handling marks are from Brownell's personnel disassembling/repackaging the parts?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I just took a closer look in the not great light available: The rail and barrel both look pretty good...no scratches or obvious wear, so I (hopefully!) did not get the one you sent back. I looked at the alignment between the upper receiver and the rail yesterday based on some other comments I had seen: I think the install is ok, but the angle of the shoulder on the top Pic rail or width where it is cut on one side may be different between the two. I'll try to measure it tomorrow, but I'm not that worried about it--I won't run an optic across that gap, regardless, and there is no play between the two and stuff seems to lock up fine on the rail itself. The finish on the rail is a pretty good match for the old school 6920 lower I put it on; the upper receiver itself has a purplish color under certain light (looks fine in other lighting). The upper has a keyhole forge marking, but a five digit number (13629) where the "C" marking normally would be. I believe that is Colt's cage code. I don't know if that is a recent change...maybe one of the Colt cognoscenti can chime in there. Feed ramps look like legit M4 style. Barrel markings are "13629 C MP" over "5.56 NATO 1/7". Front take down was very tight at first but some oil and a couple reps and I can get it out easily by hand.
    13629 is indeed the CAGE code for "COLT DEFENSE LLC, 547 NEW PARK AVE, W HARTFORD, CT, 6110-1336, UNITED STATES".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    One thing I recently learned- Colt only sells a limited selection of uppers, and all are fairly basic (no EPR, assuming no CCU). I'd bet Brownell's is acquiring complete CCU rifles and divorcing the lower, upper, and BCG to sell independently. Perhaps the handling marks are from Brownell's personnel disassembling/repackaging the parts?
    I don't know if they're parting out complete guns, but I'd lean towards NO on that. Mine came in a proper Colt's upper assembly box, leading me to believe they were bought from Colt's as uppers only. Heretofore, Colt's had only sold three uppers: 6920, 6921 (14.5" M4) and 6933 Commando. Guess they're finally doing something that will help their cash flow as rifle sales are clearly down.

As for all the "fit and finish" guys: are you serious?? It's a freakin' tool that, properly and vigorously used, will soon look like a working tool.

Finally, on the Centurion rail fit: I spoke to the owner of Centurion Arms, Monte LeClair (a friend) last week when I got my upper. He said to make sure you saw good rail alignment with the rail on the actual upper receiver and to check for an even gap on the bottom of the Centurion rail where it mounts to the barrel nut. Also said to check for a stainless colored insert there. The insert was added to keep the rail mounting screws from being over torqued and causing issues with distorted positions for front iron sights and other aiming devices mounted forward.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Heed Wayne's warning ref: the Centurion rail, which is a great piece of gear. Wayne helped me with mine which was over torqued causing the front sight to shift to the point I was unable to sight it in. Sent it back to Colt for warranty repair. Returned in the same condition I sent it in for.

Called Monty who took care of me and split the shipping cost. Great guy. He was going to address the issue with Colt QC to try to eliminate the issue. However Colt is a big company that makes change slowly. My CCU is a very fine carbine tho.

JW

A couple of questions for those in the know:

1) does anyone have experience mating these uppers with BCM lowers?

2) Brownells states the uppers ship without bolt carrier groups. Which of the many bcg makers offer assemblies that are good to go with these uppers? Colt, obviously, but BCM? Who else?

Signed,
    Over-thinker in St Paul
    :-P
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    A couple of questions for those in the know:

1) does anyone have experience mating these uppers with BCM lowers?

2) Brownells states the uppers ship without bolt carrier groups. Which of the many bcg makers offer assemblies that are good to go with these uppers? Colt, obviously, but BCM? Who else?

Signed,
    Over-thinker in St Paul
    :-P
    I don't have a Colt 6960 but I do have a Colt 6920-R Trooper and saw no issues when I briefly put that upper on my BCM lower. This was strictly a fitting test and function check. I did not put any live rounds through this combo.

I've had good experiences with BCGs from Colt, BCM, Sons of Liberty Gun Works and Sionics Weapon Systems. All of them are mil-spec (full auto profile, correct materials, HP/MPI testing, correct gas key screws, staking, etc). Sionics also sells one that's NP3 coated which I like a lot. Sons of Liberty Gun Works would probably be the cheapest. They regularly discount their BCG to $115.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List