Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Midlength

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Which of the many bcg makers offer assemblies that are good to go with these uppers? Colt, obviously, but BCM? Who else?
    Besides the obvious answers:

Toolcraft (cage coded and reported to be the actual ones in Colts) $70ish - mine works flawlessly
    Sionics - lots of LE contract guns - $130 (non-NP3)
    Sons of Liberty Gun Works - great reputation, great materials and mfg/quality practices - $150

Edit - jinx with DanM above, simultaneous posting
    Last edited by STI; 08-02-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    I just took a closer look in the not great light available: The rail and barrel both look pretty good...no scratches or obvious wear, so I (hopefully!) did not get the one you sent back. I looked at the alignment between the upper receiver and the rail yesterday based on some other comments I had seen: I think the install is ok.
    Glad your's is good.

The alignment on mine was good, and I liked the hand guard a lot. It is slim, light and comfortable in the hand. Please let us know how your's shoots.
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I don't know if they're parting out complete guns, but I'd lean towards NO on that. Mine came in a proper Colt's upper assembly box, leading me to believe they were bought from Colt's as uppers only. Heretofore, Colt's had only sold three uppers: 6920, 6921 (14.5" M4) and 6933 Commando. Guess they're finally doing something that will help their cash flow as rifle sales are clearly down.

As for all the "fit and finish" guys: are you serious?? It's a freakin' tool that, properly and vigorously used, will soon look like a working tool.

Finally, on the Centurion rail fit: I spoke to the owner of Centurion Arms, Monte LeClair (a friend) last week when I got my upper. He said to make sure you saw good rail alignment with the rail on the actual upper receiver and to check for an even gap on the bottom of the Centurion rail where it mounts to the barrel nut. Also said to check for a stainless colored insert there. The insert was added to keep the rail mounting screws from being over torqued and causing issues with distorted positions for front iron sights and other aiming devices mounted forward.
    Just catching up to this. Mine was also in a Colt box.

Good tips on the alignment. I mentioned the upper rail alignment with receiver top rail previously, but did not look at the gap on the bottom. Mine is even, caliper verified.

Will be a while before I get to the range, but transferred stuff over from my 6920 upper with DD Omega rail...the 6960 upper bare is about 7oz lighter than the 6920 with bare rails. And, yes...the 6920 (which went to Gunsite 223, among other things) attests to what the 6960 should like after some use.

Lastly: 10% off and free shipping on orders over $99, today only. Code JCA.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod120469.aspx
    Last edited by Gater; 08-05-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I don't know if they're parting out complete guns, but I'd lean towards NO on that. Mine came in a proper Colt's upper assembly box, leading me to believe they were bought from Colt's as uppers only. Heretofore, Colt's had only sold three uppers: 6920, 6921 (14.5" M4) and 6933 Commando. Guess they're finally doing something that will help their cash flow as rifle sales are clearly down.

As for all the "fit and finish" guys: are you serious?? It's a freakin' tool that, properly and vigorously used, will soon look like a working tool.

Finally, on the Centurion rail fit: I spoke to the owner of Centurion Arms, Monte LeClair (a friend) last week when I got my upper. He said to make sure you saw good rail alignment with the rail on the actual upper receiver and to check for an even gap on the bottom of the Centurion rail where it mounts to the barrel nut. Also said to check for a stainless colored insert there. The insert was added to keep the rail mounting screws from being over torqued and causing issues with distorted positions for front iron sights and other aiming devices mounted forward.
    Will the insert fix the alignment issue or does the rail need to go back to Centurion?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Will the insert fix the alignment issue or does the rail need to go back to Centurion?
    Not Wayne but if I recall correctly, Monte told me once they are over torqued, he just replaces them. He did on mine. Drop his a call. Great guy.

JW
    Last edited by Pit; 08-05-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Red face

Mine showed up yesterday.

Proper Colt box.

Centurion Arms rail with stainless steel insert.

A few very minor scuff marks in places...have found this to be typical of most things received from Colt (i.e. nothing out of the ordinary).

I've gotten very good accuracy from every Colt barrel previously owned; hoping for same from this one (realize it will heat up much more quickly due to the profile).

Thanks to Gater for the discount code that pushed me over the edge...

-Rainman

Snagged one of Brownells with code NCT for 534 shipped.. going to turn it into my homedefense carbine (red dot gun) I sold in my divorce.

Thanks for the inspiration guys lol

I made the 6960 my patrol rifle. Prior to purchase early in the summer, I called Colt to ask the gas port size. My info was forwarded to an engineer that never followed back up. It has given me acceptable accuracy (~1.5moa), and has functioned flawlessly for thousands of rounds. To the user that posted about the barrel heating up, also keep in mind that the handguard is very low-pro, your hand sits very close to the gas block. Summer time and high round count drills... ouch. It also cools down very very quickly though, and feels fantastic in the hand.

Fit and finish were ok, nice thick anodizing on the receiver that was scuffed on arrival, and there is pretty significant overspray on the upper receiver pic rail enumerations (covered by the optic mount). Trigger was an abomination. I originally tossed a Larue MBT in there, but the department found out and decided they didn't like two stage triggers. I've had a couple thousand with the Colt trigger back in it, and it's only marginally better. I don't care about any of that cosmetic junk though, it has been a reliable tool that I trust my life with.

On a side note, I actually replaced the Magpul SL grip and trigger guard with a2/usgi variations out of preference. Only internals I would change at this rate would be an ALG QMS trigger. I originally planned on throwing an H2 buffer since I shoot suppressed when I'm not on the department range, but unsuppressed with the H buffer, it throws a beautifully consistent pile of brass at 4:30. I'll likely save the money otherwise used on it.

It wears an Accupower 1-4 in a Bobro mount, and a SF M600DF in an Arisaka. I like this rifle more than my pre-'13 Noveske.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, Brownell's now has the 6960 uppers listed for $519.

If you catch one of their 10% off and free shipping codes, it'd be $468. Code PJU is valid today (9/23/18) and will do that for you.

I appreciate the opportunity to be your enabler.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    FWIW, Brownell's now has the 6960 uppers listed for $519.

If you catch one of their 10% off and free shipping codes, it'd be $468. Code PJU is valid today (9/23/18) and will do that for you.

I appreciate the opportunity to be your enabler.
    Thanks for that. Picked up the upper and a VLTOR charging handle.

Will be turning that into a carbine shortly.

User Tag List