Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Midlength

I lose track because Colt likes to put their name on stuff they don't make...

I'm assuming (hoping?) that this is an actual Colt that is otherwise identical except for the nerd-length gas system, presumed alternate barrel profile, Centurion handguard, and Magpul plastic?

assuming yes, I think this thing looks fucking fantastic. Very modern, and appeases a lot of the want/needs/wishes of the market.

I figure to assemble similar you'd need a $750 OEM2, $60 MOE SL stock, $20 MOE SL grip, and a $230 Centurion handguard so I agree with LL's assessment that it should have a $1k street price.

Now just to wait and see how Colt fucks it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Is it me, or does the handguard's rail not match to the receiver's rail? It looks like there is step between the 2. I have no idea how much this matters, but I don't recall seeing this on other rails.
    Probably just bad photoshop by a ignorant intern. Centurion's MLOK handguard has been out for a while, and they are a reputable company. Other pictures I've seen of the handguard, look normal to me, with no step.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I'm assuming (hoping?) that this is an actual Colt that is otherwise identical except for the nerd-length gas system, presumed alternate barrel profile, Centurion handguard, and Magpul plastic?

assuming yes, I think this thing looks fucking fantastic. Very modern, and appeases a lot of the want/needs/wishes of the market.

I figure to assemble similar you'd need a $750 OEM2, $60 MOE SL stock, $20 MOE SL grip, and a $230 Centurion handguard so I agree with LL's assessment that it should have a $1k street price.

Dealer cost is already over $1k. If I had one to sell I'd be asking full MSRP, with my floor at $1250.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Dealer cost is already over $1k. If I had one to sell I'd be asking full MSRP, with my floor at $1250.
    In that case I'd likely go the OEM2 route.

In that case I'd likely go the OEM2 route.
    But then you'd not have a midlength (which I'm sure you don't care about), nor the lightweight barrel. So you'd, really, you'd have to buy a Colt 6720 and pull the crap off that to get a carbine analogous to the CCU.

Looks like it's broke cover: http://www.taloinc.com/colt-firearms...bat-unit-rifle.

No pricing info I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Probably just bad photoshop by a ignorant intern. Centurion's MLOK handguard has been out for a while, and they are a reputable company. Other pictures I've seen of the handguard, look normal to me, with no step.
    I agree that the Centurion rail is solid and that this step doesn't appear when properly installed. However, the rail on the pictured rifle appears slightly crooked to me, hence the step. Shouldn't be a problem on production guns, but really, companies (especially AR15 manufacturers) should quadruple check new release photographs these days and ensure they choose the best representative of their product.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    But then you'd not have a midlength (which I'm sure you don't care about)
    If it's not a mid-length that just means the gun will work.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter

So Bad Rob is back in the house, I see. The gun you list by components would be totally viable and I recommend the OEM guns enthusiastically when teaching the Colt Armorer Course. But your gun has a carbine system and the new one is a mid-length. And Rob, except for MagPul furniture and Monty's excellent rail, it's all made by Colt...in West Hartford....at 545 New Park Avenue.

As for fucking it up, I don't think that's happening. I'd like to see a standard carbine version, less rail, and an upper only make their appearance. We will see.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 10-18-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Is it me, or does the handguard's rail not match to the receiver's rail? It looks like there is step between the 2. I have no idea how much this matters, but I don't recall seeing this on other rails.
    It's not a monolithic rail/upper, so there is a step, just as there is with just about every other similar set up.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List